Son wants to join the Marine Corps as a Marine officer
Closed Thread

Son wants to join the Marine Corps as a Marine officer

My son is 18, graduating high school next month with a 3.0 GPA. He has been accepted to a 4 year college. He has wanted to join the Marine Corps since he could say the word Marines. He began visiting the local recruiter's office about 6 months ago to inquire about Marine officer options. They keep trying to convince him to enlist. He met with the recruiters again last week and they told him they understood he didn't want to be enlisted so he should join the reserves because that would make him a better candidate for PLC. They suggested he find out about deferring his freshman year of college so he can go off to reservist training. He asked to meet with the OSO. The recruiter told him that the OSO said to meet with his college counselor (he registers for college next month) and when he got back he could meet with the OSO. They have not actually given him an appointment date. I can't help but think that deferring college when it is an officer requirement is not a good recommendation. Does my son have to go through the recruiter's office to meet with the OSO or can he contact that office directly? I'm looking for recommendations on best steps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    He should contact the OSO directly if he is determined upon becoming an officer. Recruiters are interested in enlisting people, not recruiting officers.

I can tell you that officer selection in the Corps is highly competitive. Now is the time for him to start becoming physically prepared. Officer candidates need a high 1st Class PFT score (285-300 range). He will also need as high a GPA in college as possible. It doesn't have to be 4.0, but something higher than 3.0.

From here on in, it would be better if your son did the research for himself. It doesn't look good if mom is doing it. The Corps wants leaders with initiative and ability to solve their own problems.

100% concur with Zulu 36. Happy Mother's Day.

Don't let your son deal with us lowly enlisted people...we cannot be trusted. From here on out, he should only trust his future to those of the highest moral character... officers!

Good luck to your son but whatever you do; never allow him to enlist as he is too good for that.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacy94 View Post
    My son is 18, graduating high school next month with a 3.0 GPA. He has been accepted to a 4 year college. He has wanted to join the Marine Corps since he could say the word Marines. He began visiting the local recruiter's office about 6 months ago to inquire about Marine officer options. They keep trying to convince him to enlist. He met with the recruiters again last week and they told him they understood he didn't want to be enlisted so he should join the reserves because that would make him a better candidate for PLC. They suggested he find out about deferring his freshman year of college so he can go off to reservist training. He asked to meet with the OSO. The recruiter told him that the OSO said to meet with his college counselor (he registers for college next month) and when he got back he could meet with the OSO. They have not actually given him an appointment date. I can't help but think that deferring college when it is an officer requirement is not a good recommendation. Does my son have to go through the recruiter's office to meet with the OSO or can he contact that office directly? I'm looking for recommendations on best steps.
    Reserves will not make him a better candidate.

If your son would like to become a real Marine, have him join the Marine Corps Infantry.

I was in the Officer program for a couple of years so I'll shed some light from my experience. First off, joining the reserves would not be a bad thing at all - I've got many Officer friends and all said that prior enlisted had a much easier time at OCS and OCS is extremely demanding. Secondly, it is VERY competitive right now, plan to have a 290+ PFT, close to a 4.0 GPA, letters of recommendation from honorable people (judges, lawyers, current military Officers, etc.) and perform some sort of volunteer work if possible.

Like I've said, I've got several close friends that are Officers and all of them have said if they could do it over again they would've enlisted first at the very least as reservists. Also, now is the time to get into PLC, it is a less competitive program than PLC-C or OCC but he'll need to be accepted to a University with a full time courseload to be considered, he may even need a semester under his belt.

Lastly, keep in mind that OSO's really don't need people. They are not hurting right now in the slightest to get people so in turn they just really don't care a whole lot about whether you stay or go. I can't tell you how many times I showed up for a PFT (30+ minutes away) and they weren't there, or I had to drive there 4 days in a row to sign different papers, etc. It's almost like a test to see if you'll quit before the real challenge has begun.

Hope that this helps!

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I have to disagree. The Reserve FMF is so far different from active duty that it's not even funny.

My son did DEP - waited about a year after HS graduation and enlisted as Reserve. Did his recruit training and MOS school - completed a deployment to Iraq; THEN enrolled in college. After about six months, he solidified his decision to pursue officer track.

His timelines worked perfectly. He has just finished his first increment OCS at Quantico and Monday, begins his Junior year.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Question asked.
    Question answered.
    Thread closed.

Thread Information