Pull ups vs. Chin ups
Create Post

Question Pull ups vs. Chin ups

I'm sure that everyone can do more chin ups than pull ups, however i was wondering whether or not it matters in boot camp? I've heard that a chin up counts as a pull up as far as the IST goes, but i wanna make sure so that i dont go to PI trying to do "chin ups" and find out the hard way lol. So, will i be able to count my chin ups as "pull ups" in the Marine Corps? Thanks.

I got out in 09 and you could still do them either way. I haven't heard anything about that changing from any of my friends still on active duty. If you can get good at pull ups, they're actually easier than chin ups. You use a wider range of muscles in your back as oppossed to mainly your biceps. Just what I was told when I hit the fleet and it worked for me.

I completed recruit training November 8th of last year on the west coast and for the IST, and both PFTs you could do whichever you want. However, your drill instructors will probably "encourage" you to do pull ups since they are easier to build up and they use more of your back so when you can't do anymore, you can switch grip and get one or two more chin ups.

If you are a taller guy, make sure you work on a very wide grip. It will make them a hell of a lot easier towards the end. I am 6'4" and did 3 pull ups on the initial PFT, I did 15 on the final PFT.

Initial PFT it was a pretty even mix. Final PFT pretty much everyone was doing pull ups. In the end, your drill instructors just want numbers for the PFTs.

Yes, you can do them either way still. I always preferred pull ups and I usually get 20 right there, but if I'm tired at like 17 or 18 then I just switch to chin ups. You can switch in mid go as long as your boots don't touch the sides.

Do pyramids.. put a pack on your back and do one pull up, then do a chin up, then two pull ups, then two chin ups... do them without dropping down as much as you can. You'll get pretty tired quick. Do that three times a day either going up to 10 or 20 and you'll be good. Breakfast lunch and dinner.

Best of luck to ya,

LCpl Yonkers

Thanks Marines, I will be making sure that i can do both. Right now I am at 8 chin ups and 4 pull ups....so i have some work to do.

Mike -

I'm not one to break balls for the hell of it, but you need to work on a new avatar.

If you/me can't type ****, then I don't think it's acceptable to have it in your avatar.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GunRock0811 View Post
    I got out in 09 and you could still do them either way. I haven't heard anything about that changing from any of my friends still on active duty. If you can get good at pull ups, they're actually easier than chin ups. You use a wider range of muscles in your back as oppossed to mainly your biceps. Just what I was told when I hit the fleet and it worked for me.
    Accurate. Pull-ups use more muscle groups, also triceps. Chin-ups focus a lot on biceps. I remember some doing chull-ups, or whatever you want to call them. They would get up to like 15-16, die out, and have one hand forward, the other backward. They were allowed.

And I agree with thewookie. You need to change that avatar or you're gonna find yourself banned.

Unacceptable avatar removed.

When I do a PFT, I start with pullups and knock out 7 or 8, then switch grips and finish out with chinups. I'm 6'3" and about 220lbs and my arms are stronger than my back. It makes it much easier for me to get 20 that way. When I was in boot camp, they didn't care how your hands were, as long as we went all the way up and all the way down without kipping.

I'd suggest you find what works best to do during your IST and PFTs, then do what your struggle with when you are working on your own or during PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 351 View Post
    I'm sure that everyone can do more chin ups than pull ups, however i was wondering whether or not it matters in boot camp? I've heard that a chin up counts as a pull up as far as the IST goes, but i wanna make sure so that i dont go to PI trying to do "chin ups" and find out the hard way lol. So, will i be able to count my chin ups as "pull ups" in the Marine Corps? Thanks.
    I do more pull-ups than chin-ups. My back and arms are stronger than arms alone. You can do either, but pull-ups are best for you in my opinion.

Thread Information