Contract at MEPS...Recruiter lied or is honest?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contract at MEPS...Recruiter lied or is honest?

Hi Marines,

So basically I went to my MEPS the other day because the recruiting station told me they had "Bonus contracts" for reservists available from people that had them taken away, like for breaking limbs or getting arrested etc. So I got to MEPS did the whole process and was told that no bonus jobs were available, and that only one job was available for reserves... Ground Radio Repair, 2841. Needless to say I was extremely upset at that, and told them I didn't want that position because I don't know anything about it and in fact hadn't heard much information on it before.

So basically I told them I wouldn't contract, so the head of the recruiting station walked in and told me that if I did sign this contract he would make sure he changed it for me and got me a different job before boot camp, and made sure I understood that meant a different boot camp date. So I told him that's fine but I would rather just wait for a job and not sign this contract. So he said ok and called my recruiter and put him on the phone, and basically here's what my recruiter told me:

1) If you don't sign this contract, you'll have to go to MEPS all over again
    2) I can just change the contract whenever as soon as a job opens up it's yours.
    3) If you don't sign this contract, i have to put you in as refusing to contract and you'll never be able to enlist in the Marines or any branch of the service.
    4) If you don't sign this contract, I'm not allowed to pick you up any more so you'll have to get home from MEPS another way.

Now reading back on that it all sounds like bull, however obviously at the time after 12 hours at MEPS I was exhausted and nervous, and honestly I've never really caught my recruiter lying to me about anything, he's always been honest so I said okay fine I believe you that you'll take care of me if I really want a different job, so took a position as a 2841 to leave for reserves in August.

So first off Mariness I'm sorry that the message was so long, but basically what I'm looking to know is: Was I seriously screwed with? I can say that when I left that MEPS site I didn't talk to the recruiter the entire time just because I felt like I was being harassed, however I didn't want to risk my career as a Marine on a hunch that he was lying to me.

I'm just looking for some information... I really don't know anything about the job and doing searches on the forums I don't find a whole lot, just more about radio operators not repair. This is seriously on my mind and I haven't slept for two days just because it's been bothering me and I haven't been able to talk to anybody about it. I'm 50/50 on the job it's not like something I'd dread doing, but I know nothing about it. I'm sorry this was so long I guess I'm just looking for some help.

Thanks,
    -Luke

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-27-12 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Marines, not guys....and Marines is always capitalized on this site.

PM afraziaaaa, he's a recruiter who frequents this site from time to time.

PM sent, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lguinee View Post
    1) If you don't sign this contract, you'll have to go to MEPS all over again
    2) I can just change the contract whenever as soon as a job opens up it's yours.
    3) If you don't sign this contract, i have to put you in as refusing to contract and you'll never be able to enlist in the Marines or any branch of the service.
    4) If you don't sign this contract, I'm not allowed to pick you up any more so you'll have to get home from MEPS another way.
    1) True
    2) True
    3) False, but your recruiter may not know that...that may be something that he was told by higher ups.
    4) No way to tell. This is not a rule in my locale, but may be in yours.

Sounds to me like something went wrong way before you went to MEPS. In my locale, applicants are required to sign their contract before they even go to MEPS so problems like these come out before anything is official.

One more thing to add, the fact that you will ship in August tells me that your recruiter is not desperate for anyone to enlist in the reserves anytime soon. He would really have no motive to scam you into something because there is plenty of time to find someone else.

I'm betting that when you were born, you did not know how to talk. But I am guessing that you learned.

Seems to me that you could learn the job of Ground Radio Repair (2841). The plus is that you would be a Marine.

Dude if they don't change your job, just drop out of the DEP. Make sure you get the job you want, cause ull be doing it for your 4 or so years of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
    if they don't change your job, just drop out of the DEP.
    I would call this punking out on yourself.

To add on a little to the 28xx field, it's a nice field to get into, as a 2841, http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...obs/bl2841.htm will give you more insight on the job, that is if you have yet to find that page.

I'm an 0621, Field Radio Operator, I work with Radio Techs on a day to day basis. Great group of guys.

And about you saying "I don't know anything about it", there are a lot of people that went into a MOS may not have known much about that job. That's why we go through schooling for it. You'll learn all sorts of things at that school, too.

I would say, if you don't get the MOS you wanted and you end up staying a 2841, you should go ahead and stick in through your first four years to see how you like it, if not, there's always a chance to LAT Move into another MOS after. Always look at your options, if they aren't available, stick with what is given. Don't quit out of the delayed entry program, that will drop your chances of becoming a Marine instantly.

Hey thanks for all the helpful advice Marines, Basically my recruiter told me he probably can't change my job because there are no more reserve slots until the new fiscal year in october, I didn't plan on dropping out of the DEP because I know as soon as I dropped DEP I wouldn't be able to enlist as a marine ever. Still waiting on my recruiter to see if there's another position open for me, he had mentioned a few artillery positions out there.

Credits
    Savings
    Boy ! ! I wish I would have had the options you new future Marines have before going in. no I'm not jealous, its way to late now !
    But I sure would have liked it back then. 58xx would have been nice !

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I"m a radio tech. Started out as a 2844, but we then merged with 2846 to make it 2841. Its not bad. you'll prolly dread Comm school since its at 29 palms, and it is a year long. But hey, Vegas is only three hours away. I had absolutely no information before I went to boot camp, especially cutting scores. 2841s have been in the mid 1600s in order to pick up corporal. Just letting you know so you are not dreading being a lance for a few years. Your welcome in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    I"m a radio tech. Started out as a 2844, but we then merged with 2846 to make it 2841. Its not bad. you'll prolly dread Comm school since its at 29 palms, and it is a year long. But hey, Vegas is only three hours away. I had absolutely no information before I went to boot camp, especially cutting scores. 2841s have been in the mid 1600s in order to pick up corporal. Just letting you know so you are not dreading being a lance for a few years. Your welcome in advance.

Hey not exactly sure what that means lol.. mid 1600s to pick up corporal? So it takes awhile to take rank in my job field basically? Lol my recruiter had told me I'd pick up rank extremely fast with the 2800 field lol. Thank you Sir!

Luke,
    After reading your posts in this thread I would like to offer some food for thought. Ask yourself these questions and be honest.
    1. Why do you want to become a Marine?
    2. How much are you willing to give to do that?
    3. I don't think you will find stripes lying around that you can " Pick Up ".
    You have to earn them. You might want to find a copy of form DD216 and look at it carefully. Below ( if you can read it on here) is the main paragraph that lists the Charge/Responsibility given with rank.

We do the job we are given , the one the Corps needs done , to the best of our abilities.

4. At some point in your time of service you may have to use the weapon or weapons you were trained on to take life. It may be hot , it may be cold , it may be wet. Little sleep , low on ammo or food or water are things you could bump into.

With these thing's in mind do you want to be a Marine? Is it worth it?
    It was to me and many on this list.
    I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
    john d.

Thank you Staff Sergeant (sorry if wrong just using your rank off your signature), basically I've done a great amount of soul searching, and in a nut shell this is absolutely still what I want to do.

Just wanted to clarify though, I understand rank is earned not just found on the ground, I was simply quoting what my recruiter had told me when I took in the position as a 2841, I had assumed that's just the way people talked about earning rank, Sorry for making myself look like a turd lol.

And again, thank you all.

-Luke

Thread Information