Recent discussion w/Marine Corps Museum
Create Post

Recent discussion w/Marine Corps Museum

I would like to share recent communications I had with The National Museum of the Marine Corps. After several visits, I left a comment card with my sadness over the POOR representation of Doc's at the museum.
    Next time U go, see what I mean.

Dear Mr Bobele,
    I'm sorry your recent trip to the National Museum of the Marine Corps was not as exciting as it should have been. We do in fact recognize US Navy Hospital Corpsmen in our museum. Here are but a few examples:
    -World War I Gallery: the film in the immersive exhibit shows Marines crossing the wheat field into German machine gun positions. In one dramatic
    scene, the Marine Lieutenant is hit by shrapnel from an exploding shell, the Gunnery Sgt yells for the Corpsman, and the Corpsman runs to the fallen
    Lieutenant.

-World War II Gallery: at the entrance to the gallery in the large glass exhibit case are two static cast figures, a wounded Marine on a stretcher and a Corpsman administering first aid to him. In the Iwo Jima exhibit, the USN insignias on the panel near the Iwo flag represent Navy losses to include Corpsmen. Lastly, Doc Bradley is included in the photo of the 2d flag raising.

-Korean War Gallery: the immersive exhibit shows Capt Barber's grunt company holding their position against heavy Chinese attackers near the Frozen Chosin, a cast figure of Capt Barber is shown, wounded in the thigh being treated by another cast figure of a Corpsman.

-Vietnam Gallery: two areas, in the film of the Operation Box Score (located in the hut behind the dog), "Doc" Steve Thompson is featured in film (received Silver Star) and in an exhibit on Navy-Marine Team, images of Corpsmen are included.

-Legacy Walk (timeline) Gallery: included in the Medal of Honor kiosk are those USN Hospital Corpsmen who while serving with Marines received the Medal of Honor. The kiosk includes the photo, award citation and bio of the awardee.

I'm sure if I searched the 1600 images in the museum's galleries, I could locate additional images of Corpsmen doing their duty with great heroism.

Please visit us again and look for the above instances where the museum recognizes their "Docs" performing in every clime and place.

Sincerely,
    Bob Sullivan
    Head, Curatorial Services

MY RESPONSE

Dear Mr. Sullivan;

I am compelled to answer your recent response to my comment card. I live in Orlando and on a recent trip to D.C. I took my family to see the Iwo Jima memorial near Arlington National Cemetery. While there, I discussed the statue with a small group next to us, as I was explaining things to my son. Part of the
    discussion was trying to clarify that there was 1 Navy Corpsman in the group of 6 men raising the flag. One person said “it is ridiculous to state that a Sailor is in the Marine Corps statue.” I tried to explain but it was to no avail. My wife finally pulled me away saying
    that maybe they would “Google” my details. This upset me.
    *A Marine rifle platoon usually consists of 13 men and 2 Corpsmen. In Vietnam, I do not remember our platoon ever having a full complement of Marines.

1 of 6 or 2 of 15 men, we are an integral part of the Marine Corps.

Can you honestly say that Corpsmen are given equivalent merit at the Museum? I do not think so! Ask Combat Corporals what they think of their Corpsmen.

I request that you spend a few moments reading the Corpsmen page at Vietnam 2/1 Regimental website:

http://libertyyes.homestead.com/Corpsman.html

So that you better know me, see my page at:

http://libertyyes.homestead.com/Corpsman4.html

During Vietnam, Corpsmen received more meritorious awards, including four Medals of Honor plus the highest W.I.A and K.I.A’s than any other rating (M..O.S.) in the entire Navy. Three guesses as to why.

I do not want to answer each one of your examples of Corpsmen currently at the Museum except for one. Your statement “Lastly, Doc Bradley is included in the
    photo of the 2d flag raising.” This makes my point. Show me where this is explained (that Doc Bradley was a Corpsman) to the average person viewing this
    display. The Flag that flew that day is a part of the TRUE symbol of the Corps; however, it is given more prominence than the men who raised it … and one was a Navy Corpsman!

"You guys are the Marine's doctors; There's no better in the business than a Navy Corpsman...." Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, U.S.M.C

Ron Bobele Doc Bo
    Echo 2/1 1969
    1st Med Batt, Danang 1970

Maybe the Navy should consider making a Naxy Corpsman museum.

Hey Doc - Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. But, I agree with spotts.

Semper Fi

BTW -- I moved this to the Devil Doc's area so the rest of our Docs can easily find it and make comments.

Last edited by thewookie; 01-20-12 at 11:36 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Maybe the Navy should consider making a Naxy Corpsman museum.

not all corpsmen are FMF
    Pay attention, doc may have a quiz later

can you say the few the proud ?

they're even fewer and should be prouder

THANKS DOC, for hanging out with us

It's obvious to me that the respondents to my posting are NOT COMBAT Marine or they would have given my posting more respect. As I said in my comment "ask any combat corporal". I'm sorry that I chose a forum with Marines like this. I wil no longer post anything nor return to this site. I didn't receive 2 purple hearts trying to save the lives of these kind of Marines. Real Marines will always respect a Corpsman.

doc the corpsmen are number one in my book

Very sorry you feel that way Doc Bo. This is a great site with veterans of all ages, ranks, and branches. We connect. We share. We just learn right away the proper places and areas to do it. I'm not even a combat Marine and I know the value of the Docs. Please don't feel under appreciated in this web site. Browse around and feel the bonds these veterans have and I'm sure you will feel more at home.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A T/O rifle platoon 42 Marines and 4 corpsman. I've never seen it in practice.

Hey doc, I am a combat vet and my doc meant the world to us. I stand by my comment. The Marine Corps Museum does represent corpsmen. It just doesnt represent them to your liking. Again, maybe the Navy can make a Corpsmen museum.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    A T/O rifle platoon 42 Marines and 4 corpsman. I've never seen it in practice.

Holy crap Quinn... all my time in and I have never seen that huge of a rifle platoon or 4 Corpsmen...

For Doc Bo.. I too, am sorry to see your reaction to the Marines here.. Corpsmen to the Marines are the Doc's.. and all are highly thought of...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Me neither guns. A t/o squad is a 1 sergeant, 3 corporals, 3 lance corporals, 3 PFC's and 3 privates for a total of 13. 3 thirteen man squads is 39 plus a guide a platoon sergeant and a platoon commander. Each squad and the HQ element each rate their own corpsman. Every platoon I was ever in had 1 corpsman for the platoon.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....This discussion has been very interesting!! DocBo, please check out the profiles of the Marines who have commented about your start of this thread.
    Leatherneck responses can be sometimes......misinterrpreted. Please don't take offense, we pick on each other.....ALL the time!!
    Thanks for trying "us" out.....PLEASE STAY!!!
    SEMPER FI......Doc Greek......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Doc Bo if Doc Greek endorses you then so do I ! I hold Doc G in high esteem.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bo View Post
    It's obvious to me that the respondents to my posting are NOT COMBAT Marine or they would have given my posting more respect. As I said in my comment "ask any combat corporal". I'm sorry that I chose a forum with Marines like this. I wil no longer post anything nor return to this site. I didn't receive 2 purple hearts trying to save the lives of these kind of Marines. Real Marines will always respect a Corpsman.
    Doc;
    I have often said that no combat corpsman will ever walk out sober from a bar I haven't been kicked out of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bo View Post
    Looks like you were wrong. Do you want some tissue?

Thread Information