How do I respond to Semper Fi? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Simper Fi,, Always Faithful,, you don't have to be a Marine to be "Always faithful" or to hold that concept at heart,..so i would always tell my kids who were not Marines, at the time, or the ones that aren't now, to respond back Simper Fi,,

... Reply with any of the following;

"Errrr"

"Tun Tavern"

"Yut"

"Smedley Butler"

"BAMCIS" (pronounced BAM-SISS)

You'll get a few laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by MintusMaximus View Post
    ... Reply with any of the following;

"Errrr"

"Yut"

Definitely my favorites, can't go wrong with a good "YYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUT".

As far as I am concerned, given the nature of the service, my mother and father rate a Semper Fi as much as I do. Though they didn't have to go through the physical beast that is Boot Camp, they did go through 3 months of the mental part with me, and they were a major part of getting me through it and continue to keep me going.

I have been told in the past that a return "Semper Fi" was ok. I was not able to inlist in 1981 when I tried, and have spent the rest of my life regretting it.
    I was born at Camp LeJuene, and was a staff member/ instructor in my son's Young Marines unit, and yet I still am uncomfortable when returning the Semper Fi. I like the idea of saying, Oohrah! I'll try that next time. Cant wait until my son's graduation. MCRD in September! Going to be a great trip.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by trukdryverchuck View Post
    I have been told in the past that a return "Semper Fi" was ok. I was not able to inlist in 1981 when I tried, and have spent the rest of my life regretting it.
    I was born at Camp LeJuene, and was a staff member/ instructor in my son's Young Marines unit, and yet I still am uncomfortable when returning the Semper Fi. I like the idea of saying, Oohrah! I'll try that next time. Cant wait until my son's graduation. MCRD in September! Going to be a great trip.
    My son graduated in September 2011. Was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. It was truely an awesome experience. No way to describe the first time of seeing him after 3 months of not talking, just letters. Congratulations, end savor every minute, it goes by so quick

A very interesting topic. I have the habit of saying semper Fi! to anyone wearing U.S.M.C. identifiable gear. Last week I did an S.F to a guy my age in the local Nice n Easy. He took the time to explain, that he wore it for his son, Cpl. Eli Parker, KIA Iraq. It set me back a little as I was at the air base for the arrival of his son with my MCL Det. I had no FN idea how to respnd to his response!
    SEMPER FI!

Quote Originally Posted by USMCmomma2011 View Post
    I am SO glad this was asked! I have some "Proud Mom of a Marine" clothes and I also get the "Semper Fi" at times and never know exactly what to say so I usually just say, "Thank you!"
    Just give them that embarrassed smile and say, "Oh, you Devil Dogs! Thank you."

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My son isn't there yet but he's working hard to signing up- school, falling off the outside of a building he was climbing etc, etc.... He's fired up to become a Marine. I wasn't sure how to deal with the future Semper Fi that will come my way but now I see good suggestions. Having been a CAP Commander, I would get "Thank you for your service" comments and learned to just say "Thank you". I wasn't active military but was in fact part of the USAF (aux) and CAP did and does important work within the US. I just held the "Thank you for your service." in my heart for those men and women who will no longer hear the voices of their loved ones and their countrymen.

I have a deep bass voice, so I give a doberman growly Ooh Rah!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Marine parents are in the family and you cannot get away from this. You wear hat, shirt from your son or daughter being a proud parent and you get a Semper fi from another Marine tell them your son is one and you will still get a Semper Fi .....

Semper Fi

So, for those of us that served in the Corps, and have a son who's leaving in September, do I get a double Semper Fi? Semper Semper Fi?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Brother !!!

Semper, Semper Fi

As a Former Corpsman /Doc I say Semper Fi and ooooorrrrrraaaaaaah.

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Semper Fi Mac! I ain't a Marine but dey' got my back!

Thread Information