Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp

1. Avoid eye contact. (It's harder for a Drill Instructor to intimidate you if you're looking past or through him!)

2. Bear in mind that no matter how traumatic things seem Boot Camp is only Temporary. In fifteen or sixteen years it will seem like a dimly-remembered cruel joke.

3. Trying your damnedest to achieve something is often more impressive than actually achieving it. Drill Instructors look for motivation and spirit more than anything else. Show it to them and they'll be happy.

4. Don't volunteer for anything.

5. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open.

6.. Never, ever, ask a Drill Instructor "Why?"

7.. Never smile at or near or within sight of a Drill Instructor.

8. When you have to say something to a Drill Instructor, make sure your words are of the one or two syllable variety.

9.. Eat quickly in the mess halls.

10. Begin and end every sentence with the word "sir" (i.e., "Sir the Private requests permission to speak, sir!" or "Sir, yes, sir!").

11. When you speak, speak loudly.

12. Avoid personal pronouns ("I," "me," "you," "they," "we") when speaking to Drill Instructors.

13. Reserve duty outside of boot camp is nothing like active duty during boot camp.

14. Don't question for one minute your decision to enlist in the Marines. It's too late to do anything about it now and it's not a productive train of thought.

15. Don't get sick.

16. Stay awake during the classes. You don't want the attention Drill Instructors lavish upon dozing recruits.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    may I ask why a person should not volunteer in boot camp? I heard it could help a person gain a stripe when graduted?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp

It's important to avoid "volunteering" for anything because rather making it look as if you are a "team player", you end up looking like a kiss-ass instead. Your DI will "volunteer" you when you demonstrate leadership, capability, motivation, and initiative. Raising your hand all the time when the DI asks for volunteers will only make your fellow recruits think you're kissing the DI's butt.

You can make PFC when you graduate and even LCpl if you are platoon honor grad, but I wouldn't recommend the volunteering part in order to get that extra stripe. Take the initiative and do what's necessary for yourself AND for the platoon, especially when not prompted by the DI's and ALSO when they are not looking or when they did not ask. They will notice who does what - they will also note that you did not "blow your own horn" to get their attention.

Well said! I don't know about NEVER being one to raise your hand, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. That being said, sometimes you just really need a break from what you are doing, and the crap job they give you may be a welcome bit of relief. Hell, by the end of boot camp, it wasn't unusual for several of us to ask for IT, just to get out of scrubbing the dadgum rifles!

More Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp.

Here's another one from Marine Corps Drill Instructors web site!

Things Never to say to a Drill Instructor

* My recruiter wanted me to tell you to be especially nice to me.

* I want my mommy.

*Okay, you can stop yelling anytime you want.

* I can't wait to graduate and be a real soldier!

* I should've joined the Navy.

* You want me to do what?

* Dude.

* My Mom (or Recruiter) said you aren't allowed to swear at me.

* Where's my stress card?

(I stand corrected, always associated with being

a "Army thing" but apparently actually

a "Navy thing" , had a very nasty guestbook entry

because of this!)

* I'm a reservist and I'm just doing this for college money.

* I'm going to be an MP.

* Yes, Drill Sergeant! (definite NO NO!)

Semper Fi,
    Jeff

Credits
    Savings
    The best advice I received before I went to Recruit training was from my Brother, a former Marine. He told me, "Shut the F**K up and do what the Drill Instructor's tell you to do and do it as fast as humanly possible." Remember this and you should do alright.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sender,

That's probably some of the best advice anyone could have given

Credits
    Savings
    Can you give me any advice on the crucible?

The Crucible, like any other aspect of boot camp, is as much mental as it is physical. If the mind leads, the body will follow.

If you keep telling yourself that " You (I) CAN do this," you will.

Don't think of the Crucible or any other training exercise in the big picture. Break it down into small tasks, and mentally check off that you've accomplished each of these tasks. (I'm going to walk to the top of that hill.)
    Success breeds further success. Whether it is one hour or one day into the Crucible, you will have "success" to reflect upon, NOT what comes next, or that there's another two days of this.

I can tell you from personal experiance that if you have done everything you were told (i.e. hydration, maintaing a high level of physical fitness, etc) by your Drill Instructors you will do fine at the Crucible. We didn't have one person in my platoon get injured, or anything else. The hunger and sleep deprivation is easily combated by the intense amount of motivation each recruit has. In short just do what you are supposed to do and you will be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, MAJMike, and TheJester.

I just have one more question: What can I do while I am a civilian, that will help me when I become a Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Chain Breaker,

Talk to your Marine Corps recruiter

Credits
    Savings
    Heh, Will do, as soon as I get state side again.

Chain Breaker
    depends on where you are at exactally there are recurters every where in one shape or form

Credits
    Savings
    I am in Aviano Air Base Italy. But I will be moving back to the states in a few weeks.

Thread Information