Wanting input from female marines on their experience!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanting input from female marines on their experience!

Well I finally qualified and everything and i am ready to finally do what i have been putting off for so long i let my husband do his marine thing now im wanting to do my own career I am going Reserve and wanting to know any boot camp experience?? I am also wondering why there isn't to many women in the Marine reserves my recruiter said he signed his 1st woman of the year ,either way would love anyones experiences and hopefully one day i can make this dream a reality!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What type of experiances are you looking for? The only thing any of us can tell you is what happened to us individually because the experiance was different for all of us.

Also, can't say why there aren't that many females in the Reserves - hell, there aren't that many females on AD either.............that's why we're called the Fewer the Prouder.

I would definitively like to know anyones experience so i know a little what to expect I only know one marine women and shes marine Officer she said her training was a bit different and im going enlisted. so anything is helpful thank you for responding/..

If you want the tough side come over to the mens side, just joking girl, Good Luck,Semper Fidelis.

Try looking through some of the pages in the Ask A Marine forum......

Female Marine Advice Needed(ASAP PLEASE)
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=92068&page=5

Keep in mind that in the reserves, you are not considered a veteran according to the veterans administration unless you have completed 24 months of continuous active duty. That means, no Va healthcare eligibility, no burial benefits, no employment assistance nor Federal government job preferential, nor VA home loans. It's a lot to go through being a Marine to not get these benefits. UNLESS you get called on to active duty by Presidential order. Like in case with Iraq/Desert Storm. If you go a whole enlistment in reserves, you really don't stand much in terms of benefits. I think reserves are better for those that had prior active duty where they rate benefits via the VA. The reserves is the backbone of the Marine Corps. I always thought it was just a way to get recruits cheaper without having to pay up on benefits. I did this and regretted not having gone active duty. There are some benefits via the state, as in Texas, they have home loans from the Texas Veterans Land Board, you can get license plates for your car USMC, you can get cheaper Concealed hand gun license at 25 bucks including Guard and Reservist veterans, you can buy land in Alaska at 20 percent off a one time only deal. In the reserves, if you absolutely have to do this route, go for six years and get a college deal. If you only do 3 years or 4 years active reserves, you won't get educational benefits. Keep in mind, you screw up or don't continue doing reserves, you have to pay this money back. Keep in mind too that you can be deployed like in previous two wars and leave your family, job. Be careful and wise as to what you do because you know what USMC stands for don't you? U Signed the Motherfng Contract!!!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    another very old thread resurrected. Is this a new trend? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Keep in mind that in the reserves, you are not considered a veteran according to the veterans administration unless you have completed 24 months of continuous active duty. That means, no Va healthcare eligibility, no burial benefits, no employment assistance nor Federal government job preferential, nor VA home loans. It's a lot to go through being a Marine to not get these benefits. UNLESS you get called on to active duty by Presidential order. Like in case with Iraq/Desert Storm. If you go a whole enlistment in reserves, you really don't stand much in terms of benefits. I think reserves are better for those that had prior active duty where they rate benefits via the VA. The reserves is the backbone of the Marine Corps. I always thought it was just a way to get recruits cheaper without having to pay up on benefits. I did this and regretted not having gone active duty. There are some benefits via the state, as in Texas, they have home loans from the Texas Veterans Land Board, you can get license plates for your car USMC, you can get cheaper Concealed hand gun license at 25 bucks including Guard and Reservist veterans, you can buy land in Alaska at 20 percent off a one time only deal. In the reserves, if you absolutely have to do this route, go for six years and get a college deal. If you only do 3 years or 4 years active reserves, you won't get educational benefits. Keep in mind, you screw up or don't continue doing reserves, you have to pay this money back. Keep in mind too that you can be deployed like in previous two wars and leave your family, job. Be careful and wise as to what you do because you know what USMC stands for don't you? U Signed the Motherfng Contract!!!
    In Boot Camp our platoon commander drilled into our heads The Grunts are the backbone of our Marine Corps,lol, never knew the reserves were, Semper Fidelis.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    If your going to text to the forum you should learn how to text.
    Your profile could use some work to and Marines is spelled like this ( M )arines not marines !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    In Boot Camp our platoon commander drilled into our heads The Grunts are the backbone of our Marine Corps,lol, never knew the reserves were, Semper Fidelis.
    Correction and you are correct. Marine Corps Grunts are the backbone of the Marine Corps indeed. I just made a bad choice of words by stating that the Marine Corps Reserves were the backbone of the Marine Corps. What I meant was that The Marine Corps Reserves is the LARGEST command of the Marine Corps. This means there are more reservist than active duty. Marines take their strength in reserves seriously. Thanks for pointing it out and I apologize for the poor choice of words. Semper fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    another very old thread resurrected. Is this a new trend? LOL
    I guess I wasn't looking at the dates of when published.

Your profile could use some work to and Marines is spelled like this ( M )arines not marines !!!
    For whom are you referring this to?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Original poster, without a doubt. Happens here a lot, folks text, end up with "marines" not Marines, and who knows what else strung together in 300 words, so it was definitely meant for the original poster.

It should read "Your profile could use some work "TOO" with a period. "Not to." Then commence a new sentence. (Come on now. We need SPELLING FOR MARINES MCI TOO)?

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Original poster, without a doubt. Happens here a lot, folks text, end up with "marines" not Marines, and who knows what else strung together in 300 words, so it was definitely meant for the original poster.
    OK Gotcha.

Thread Information