Need some answers to a few questions
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need some answers to a few questions

I'm sure threads like this are common on this site, but I just needed some answers to a few questions since I couldn't find them elsewhere. My fiance and I were looking to get married once he finishes his MOS training (he just shipped to Parris Island for boot camp Monday, so this will probably be 5-6 months from now based on the MOS he was told), but I was wondering just what documents would be required after marriage to add one's spouse in order to receive benefits and the BAH. Also, is there any rough estimate as to how long it could take to get a spouse added to your orders before going to your first duty station.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm working on getting the profile set up at the moment, had some issues getting my email verified originally.

Marriage Certificate. I don't think he'll rate a "dependent move" for household goods, travel per diem, etc., on your behalf since it's his first permanent duty station, however, he can apply for base family housing with you as his dependent.

Credits
    Savings
    That's the only document needed? That shouldn't be too hard then, since I was told by family that's also military that you can obtain a copy of the marriage certificate the same day. As for a "dependent move", that's not a problem then if he wouldn't qualify for it, since we we're prepared to cover moving expenses if that was the case. As for housing, we're more than likely looking at off base housing since a lot of bases seem to have a long wait time for his rank when he gets done with boot camp and MOS school.

Credits
    Savings
    In addition to my original two questions, I was wondering around how much time there was between finishing MOS school and arriving at your first duty station. Also, for those who have lived off base in apartments near the base, how exactly does getting an apartment work in terms of doing so before getting to the duty station compared to my fiance arriving there first, and then having me move there a few weeks/months after he's settled in.

He will most likely travel directly from school to duty station.

If you are married before he moves he will then probably be allowed to PTAD for house hunting which is 10 days, but is intended for the local area.

If you will not have a marriage licence or certificate prior to his move he will have to move directly into the barracks and may forfeit the 10 days of free house hunting time.

If you are the patient type, I would let him move into the barracks, take regular leave for a wedding or what not, then move you to the duty station after he has had time to shop around for a place. It would make the whole house hunting experience much less rushed, and if you have a place to be now there is no reason to rush.

Also, he will not be allowed to live off base until you are in the system as a dependent.

Correction to the last bit...he'll be able to live off base, he just won't get paid for it. AND he'll have to maintain a barracks room.

Also ensure you have your birth certificate and social security card on hand, as you will need it to be entered on deers (the system).

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the replies. @Frankydp, we weren't planning on getting married until after he finishes his MOS schooling, but before he had to check in at his first duty station, assuming he was given some amount of time between the two to do so. I'm the patient type, so if he for some reason has to go directly to his duty station, I'm fine with waiting until he's able to take leave for us to get married, and move once things are situated where his duty station is. He wasn't planning on living off base until I moved, since he knows he wouldn't get paid for it. @SSgtRSD, thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind. Who exactly do we take these documents to though? We aren't sure if it would need to go to Headquarters where we currently live, or another building/office that handles that kind of stuff. This is all still months away, but I'd like to have all the information we need beforehand so we're not unprepared.

He will simply need to submit the paper work to his SNCO and then S-1/IPAC at the new unit. Keep in mind the command may have some requirements for him before he gets married such as a class or worksheet/checklist. The intention is to prevent the over night marriages that happen sometimes.

P.S. You will also need to get submitted to DEERS. This will happen automatically, usually, once you are processed by the Marine Corps. These people are the ones that validate your insurance eligibility and get you an ID.

Frank
    www.killfoot.com

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Frankydp. I'll talk with him when he's on leave from boot camp about checking to see if there are any classes or checklists/worksheet he'd need to complete before getting married. That's an understandable enough reason to require some type of class or worksheet/checklist be completed before getting married. Just so I have an understanding, what exactly does S-1/IPAC mean?

S-1 is the Admin section.

S-1 is the designation of his unit administration office. They handle all admin problems for personnel. If they cannot handle a problem, he will be pointed to someone who will take care of him.

Thread Information