HELP!: Trying to rid of Disability to Reenlist
Create Post
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Angry HELP!: Trying to rid of Disability to Reenlist

I was discharged as a LCPL early 2010 where I recieved 20% disability for asthma and a mental thing. Well the mental stuff I can easily be gone with since its no longer an issue at all, but how do I get rid of asthma, not pshcially induced, but it is minor. I have quit smoking after smoking a pack a day when I was tested but fear it's not enough. And I know none of the recrutiers can wave me untill I am claiming no disability... how might I be able to "cure" myself... or magically pass the test? Semper Fi

I have done a lot of research on this myself, as I am in the same boat with 10% disability. Its very hard to find a clear answer on what steps you have to take, so I am pretty much at a standstill, bc I still have some unanswered questions. Dont even waste your time talking to a recruiter, they wont know and wont want to help you, too much work for them. I did have a recruiter refer me to a career planner for some of the questions I had, unfortunately I couldnt get in contact with him.
    What I do know...is that if the VA rated you, you would have to get reevaluated by them and cleared. Then in order to be eligible for reenlistment you have to submit a package to the Board for the Correction of Naval Records (BCNR) to change the RE code on your DD-214. Their website, with all of their contact information, is http://www.donhq.navy.mil/bcnr/bcnr.htm.
    The question remains if you really are fit for duty, I mean do you really want to be struggle to get through PT every day. Thats a question only you can answer. The green grass will get you every time, but once your out, getting back is way harder than it was to get in the first time around. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by godman43 View Post
    I was discharged as a LCPL early 2010 where I recieved 20% disability for asthma and a mental thing. Well the mental stuff I can easily be gone with since its no longer an issue at all, but how do I get rid of asthma, not pshcially induced, but it is minor. I have quit smoking after smoking a pack a day when I was tested but fear it's not enough. And I know none of the recrutiers can wave me untill I am claiming no disability... how might I be able to "cure" myself... or magically pass the test? Semper Fi
    dont mess around with the asthma, i was a corpsman at mct and some how this one marine with asthma slip through medical and od on his inhaler i did eveything i could to save him needless to say its been almost 20 yrs and still haunts me to this day. so dont be a dumbask take the money and run. your lucky i have been fighting the va for 14 plus yrs for my persian gulf issue,
    SO DONT BE A FOOL AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SEVICE

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Quote Originally Posted by godman43 View Post
    Not to burst your bubble or tell you not to bother, but it most likely won't happen. I gave it a go for almost 3 years and hit roadblocks in all directions. If you have an RE-3P as an RE code, HQMC or BCNR will not change it. That is the correct code for a diacharge with physical disability.

You'll need a physical at MEPS. HOWEVER, MEPS views the discharge and disabilities as a pre-disqualification and won't process you, so you'll need a BUMED waiver. THEN, BUMED won't process your waiver without a current MEPS physical. It's a vicious circle that sucks and is frustrating as hell.

Thread Information