Medical problems?
Create Post

Medical problems?

Ooh rah,
    I was hoping someone might know about this. I am a reservist. I've been in for 1 year. I'm switching to active duty. I just went to MEPS and got a new physical. On it they wrote down I have scoliosis at 36 degrees. It also says I have a Vareceole. I looked it up and both of those may be disqualifying. The doc signed off on my stuff though. When my paper work goes up to operations for it's final signature for me to switch components can I be turned down because of these two things? I'm nervous because I'm getting married this Saturday and we are ready to leave. I've lost all my scholarships to go to college because I thought and still think I'm going active duty. I hope I'm not restricted because of this. Any help would be much appreciated. I just don't want to have promised my fiancee everything and then be shot down because of medical reasons and provide her with nothing.

SEMPER FI

Also when I went to MEPS a year ago to enlist neither one of these things where spotted. Just incase you were wondering.

I can't tell you what they will do, but I can tell you what I did.

I was Superintendent of an offshore oilfield company here in Louisiana (1985 to 1990). We gave extensive physicals to our applicants before hiring, paying special attention to any back problems. I never hired anyone with scoliosis. I even had to turn down my brother in law. If I hired him I was "accepting the risk". If someone injures his back, or even fakes it and says he did, the company could be held responsible. Too much a risk for almost all offshore oilfield company's.
    My son now works offshore and wanted to change jobs until he found out some of the larger company's now do MRI's. He has disk problems from a motorcycle accident and this small company let the physical slide. He has his Z card and his Home Land Security work permit, I forget what they call those as we didn't have those in the eighties.
    I have compression fractures of the L1 and L2, but my company let me slide because I was first, a foreman, then Super.

I really hate to tell you that as you seem to have "counted you chickens before the eggs hatched."

Please keep us informed on how it turns out.

With regrets
    Jamie

There are waivers for every thing. I recently had a varicocele vein taken care of, let me know if I am wrong, but did they find a clump of veins in your scrotum because that's what it is. Usually they go unnoticed but usually when they are found it is because they are causing you pain. Simple out paitient procedure and you can go back to work the next day. The back issues I don't know what to tell you, perhaps get a second opinion from your regular doctor, and hope for the best.

Yes it is a clump of veins. It causes me no pain at all... The only reason the doc noticed it was bc I had pointed it out to ask him what it was... If I would have known it was disqualifying I would have kept my mouth shut. The doc did sign off on my physical and say I was good to go. I'm just wondering if any body else who looks at my package can turn me down bc of these two things even though the doc said I'm fine.

SLAMBERT WHAT IS YOUR JOB IN THE MARINE CORPS,it depends on your job if you are going to be a grunt or motar man you will be dq because of all the weight on your back,SO GOOD LUCK

stephen doc hansen hm3 FMF

I'm an 0231 intel analyst. I work in an S-2 shop.

If the MEPS physician found you physically qualified--that's it. Packages to augment from the reserve to the regular component contain only basic medical information such as color perception, corrected and uncorrected visual acuity, height, weight, and your physical profile (abbreviated as PULHES). Your package won't be disapproved for those defects in light of the fact that you were found physically qualified.

Thank you Msgt. That is a big relief. I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. Apparently, it does not cause you any discomfort but 36 degrees sounds pretty severe. I don't know if this condition is progressive (get worse) or if the 36 degrees will stay that way. Believe sitting in a S-2 shop will work out better for you compared to humping/lifting heavy objects. Just don't know where your back will be a few years down the road when you're a SNCO and closer to retirement.

Good luck to you and your wife; hope everything works out the way you planned it.

To be honest Msgt I can't remember if he said .36, 3.6, or 36 degrees. He never told me the angle but I saw it on my chart. I just went with worse case senario. I honestly cant tell and I have no discomfort and never have had discomfort during a hump.

Thread Information