Did you disliked your DIs in the beginning? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No, I did not dislike my DIs the entire time in boot... I realized they had a job to do and I didn't care what I had to do.. I was getting off that island alive and well.. and the easiest way off the island (or off your depot in san diego) is becoming a Marine.

You'll see a few DIs that are truly 100% evil people... but they do have good intentions.. and then you'll see the few DIs that you can tell are really good people and have to force themselves to seem mean... I could tell my kill hat was a good guy behind the mask so to speak.

Always remember, in boot camp...easiest way to get over things and get through it... keep the mentality "it is what it is" and "Mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter" Don't read too much into things... don't care too much basically... if you care too much and get sucked into all the BS in boot camp... like the petty squabbles with other recruits and fighting that goes on mostly in 1st and 2nd phase you will be much more stressed and you don't need that.

Best of luck to ya

Did not like any of my DIs at any moment during the experience. I respected their job and the mission they had to do. When I received my EGA none of that changed..made my life living hell for 3 months but I still had a lot of respect for the job they had to do. They walked off the parade deck and received a new platoon that very day..talk about hell, recruits have it easy. DI is the toughest job in the Corps.

Funny thing was that a few years later I ran into my of my DIs in the fleet and he told me that none of it was an act at any point. He truly disliked every recruit and never "bonded" or "felt for" a single one. Made his job easy.

How did you feel after graduation?

After graduation you feel a massive weight off your sholders, but the real feeling for me was going home. I saw all my friends the first few days I was back, all of them had gained alittle weight or done nothing all summer and were starting school. They all sat amazed at what you actually get to do, even though it isn't as much fun in the moment there, looking back, boot camp was one hell of an experience. That can go for my short time in the Corps so far, I've done things and been all over the country, my friends live 45 minutes from home, still have there parents holding there hand when needed. I'm completely self sufficent and let me tell you, looking at them, you will notice that you are happier then them, or for me at least thats how it is.

Also what Yonkers said is very true, stay out of all the drama, keep your self squared away, life will be easier for you then the average recruit. 3 months seems like a long time, but it truely does fly by, and when your done, time goes even faster.

These are great stories and advices. Thank you guys for your services as Marines. Hopefully, I'll earn the title of the Marines!

Just one of them, I later learned the guy never deployed to any combat zone but he tried to act hard as nails and didn't really teach us much of value (I think he had a small weewee).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Daniel,,, I'm proud of you, Bro. My boot and your boot seperated by 42 years wasn't that much different. Just a place to go get rebuilt,,,,for life. And remember I told you,,,,,you can't go home.

I highly disliked all of my Drill Instructors from the beginning. As time went on and I studied them and their habits I grew to understand and actually find humor in their personalities. You will gradually understand why they do the things that bother you and you'll start to notice a purpose. The drill instructor I disliked the most I grew to like the most towards the end. He never lost his bearing and I never saw any smile or sign of human life in his face til the night before we graduated. Also, a buddy of mine just saw one of our former "hats" at a range....he was shooting right next to him. Its different after you graduate, you can usually get away wit b/sing with the very same person you thought hated you for 13 weeks.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Usmc

Because the DI"s knew we were going to nam, they were posess, run 3miles in the morning 3miles at nite,you never had free time never eye fu*k the era, Sunday for mass and letters, you ever had sh*t rub across your your upper lip and leave it there all day through chow, cause you got caught in the hatch way when you had 60 min to S/S/S, we fell asleep at attention,run port arms everywhere, we took all the ribbions at eliot beach, PLT 1031 1968 , at the end we could take anything these di"s dish out, it is what it is bros,.......S/F

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    or was it 60sec cant remember, never the less them DI"s were bad m/fer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Total FEAR! But, at least I went in with the right attitude - I knew not to take things that were said or done to me personally. It was done to teach me and they taught me a lot.

Thread Information