Reservist or Active duty...That is the question...
Create Post

Reservist or Active duty...That is the question...

I have a good 9-5 job that pays the bills, 2 kids and a happy home with my wife. As it should happen, like my father before me and almost every man in my family, I have aspirations of becoming a Marine. The questions I pose is reserve or enlist?

I know the perks the reserve gives you (family time, keeping the M-F job, ect) but I honestly would not mind if I was deployed. atleast not as much as the next guy.

Also, if reserve is the best idea what can I look for (MOS wise) to be available out of the ATL, GA area?
    Basically every MOS I am interested in is in the infantry or mobile feild.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you mean 'reserve' or 'active duty', as either way you are going to 'enlist'.

And the only way you'll really know what's available is to talk to a recruiter.

I've moved this into the 'Ask a Marine' section and retitled it. You'll get more comprehensive answers there I believe.

You might also try searching the forums, this question comes up quite often and there are plenty of opinions pro and con on both sides.

I spent several years on active duty and in the reserve. The reserve can be very boring at times. You have to squeeze a lot of mandatory training, medical, dental, safety briefs, etc. into very little time. Depending on the reserve unit, you might only get 2-3 good training drills a year. On the other hand, you can pursue a civilian career and you have a lot more control over your Marine Corps career in the reserve. Reservists can switch units, change MOSs, take active duty billets all over the world (if you know how and are a good performer). There are pros and cons of both sides. I would highly recommend doing at least one active duty tour instead of going straight into the reserves. You will experience so much more going active duty.

Thread Information