PLC-OCC Candidate
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

PLC-OCC Candidate

Hello,

I am applying for the Marine PLC program for the summer of 2012. I am extremely interested in joining the military. I wanted to join the Coast Guard initially (DQ from being an officer because of colorblindness: no waivers) so I talked to a Marine recruiter about the PLC program. I am looking to make a career out of the military, however, this depends highly on finding an MOS that would satisfy me for an entire career. Being colorblind, I will be forced to take the Ground Officer route (dashing my lifelong dream of becoming a helicopter pilot). This is still perfectly acceptable to me, albeit less favorable.

I am looking for a comprehensive account of what may be in store for me in the various officer positions. I have been to various websites, including the Marines' own website, that outlines the duties. I am looking for personal experiences in the MOS that I would qualify for to help make my decision. I am a chemistry and math dual major and thus far, intelligence has caught my attention.

If anyone would care to share a personal experience or advice as to which path to take, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

A hopeful future Marine

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Lots of good information in your profile.

No profile, no answers.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    You may also want to PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum.
    And do a search on the site, as this topic has been covered before.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Please fill in your profile, Schmuck

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Any relation to a user whose username is Schmuckatelli? It's kind of close, just wondered.
    Dave there are a lot Schmucks around. Why I knew a whole family of them in Dallas but most Schmucks tend to keep to themselves.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for filling in your profile Colin. Have you been to this website?

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

It's very similar to LN. Create an account and start browsing. There is a section dealing with PLC

I went through PLC in '77 so I'm sure my info would be a bit out of date but I will try and answer any specific question

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for the link, sir. I greatly appreciate it.

Just in case I would like to use this forum in the future, can someone please tell me what a "sticky" is? And where they might be located? I have looked pretty hard and I honestly don't know what that means.

Thanks,

Colin Schmucker

Credits
    Savings
    Scratch that.

I found them. I didn't realize I needed to click on a specific area to see the stickies. I was looking for an icon.

Thanks again.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuck View Post
    Thank you very much for the link, sir. I greatly appreciate it.

Just in case I would like to use this forum in the future, can someone please tell me what a "sticky" is? And where they might be located? I have looked pretty hard and I honestly don't know what that means.

Thanks,

Colin Schmucker
    You're welcome Colin. If I/we can be of any further help let us know. Good luck to you

Moved to the proper forum

I am looking to make a career out of the military...
    In my humble opinion, wait until you are in and on your first contract to make that decision

...this depends highly on finding an MOS that would satisfy me for an entire career.
    Good foresight/planning. In this regard, I would advise you to think about transferability to the civilian sector. Three things you need to weigh in listing your MOS (which if you're now looking at PLC, is a long way off): 1) what are your strengths; 2) what do you want to do; and 3) what will give you the greatest return for time invested.

But again, MOS selection doesn't happen until TBS. And after a few FEXes, you may well change your mind. You have time. Focus on getting to and through OCS first.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    In my humble opinion, wait until you are in and on your first contract to make that decision

Good foresight/planning. In this regard, I would advise you to think about transferability to the civilian sector. Three things you need to weigh in listing your MOS (which if you're now looking at PLC, is a long way off): 1) what are your strengths; 2) what do you want to do; and 3) what will give you the greatest return for time invested.

But again, MOS selection doesn't happen until TBS. And after a few FEXes, you may well change your mind. You have time. Focus on getting to and through OCS first.

Good advice as usual Capt.

Thread Information