Becoming a pilot for the Marine Corp?
Create Post

Becoming a pilot for the Marine Corp?

I am leaving sept 12 for boot camp with a contract for aviation operations. What are the paths I can take to become a pilot or at least have the opportunity to try? I know you can get a college degree before you go in, but what are some other paths that I could follow? Thanks for the help

Really only one - you need to go to OCS on an aviation option contract, complete OCS, be commissioned, complete The Basic School (TBS), go to flight school and successfully complete flight school (all while remaining physically qualified to fly).

You must be an officer to become a Naval Aviator, and you must have a college degree to become an officer.

There are several different paths to OCS, but all involve a bachelor's degree.

Hey thanks for the reply. So once I'm in can't I take college courses for four years then apply?

Once you're in, you have to work in your primary aviation operations MOS (not go to college). You are not being paid to be a college student.

Depending on your situation (training schedules, duty assignments, deployment rotations, command's attitude toward off-duty education, etc.), you may be able to take college classes on your own time at night and on weekends. Most likely, you'll only be able to work in one class per semester this way. So, it's impossible to finish a bachelor's degree in four years by only going to classes part-time. Off-duty education is not garaunteed; many elements have to come together for it to happen. Also, you will not have a social life if all you do is work all day and then go to school at night and on weekends. But, it takes sacrafice (I know, that's how I got my BS on active duty).

Good luck with attaining your goals.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Schade07 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. So once I'm in can't I take college courses for four years then apply?

Do you have any college credits at all? If not you'll be starting from scratch. Top said you're going to be very busy for the next 4 years. While there are a few commissioning programs for enlisted they are very difficult to get into

If you can get a AA degree in 4 yours that will be a good start. However you cannot be older the 28 when you are commissioned for flight training. Yes there are waivers but unless your Chuck Yeagar material most likely you won't get one. Why bother giving a 28 yo a waiver when they have the cream of the 22 yo crop to chose from?

Once you finish TBS you'll head off to P-Cola for Pre-flight school, then onto advanced flight training. All of this will run about 18-34 months depending what type of plane you'll fly. After you get your wings then your service time begins. 8 years AD for fixed wing, 6 for helo's.

So looking down the road optomistically. You'll be 24 with an AA when you exit the Corps. Two more years to get a BA or BS, that will make you 26. Then OCS, TBS and then on to flight training. Best case scenario you'll be 29-30 when you join a squadron as an O-2. Add on 8 years AD and you'll be pushing 40. Upside you'll be close to getting your 20 in and retire pay

Not trying to discourage you but it's going to be difficult to pull this off. Factor in that we may not be active in any military zones in 4 -8 years and there might be cutbacks.

Why at 20 are you joining the Corps if you're thinking about being an Aviator. Why not go to college then OCS?

Well it's your life, good luck yo you

Credits
    Savings
    A few other things to consider. First I misspoke, while there is pre-flight training and it lasts 6 weeks it's a ground school environment. After pre come primary flight training..

To become a Navy/Marine aviator, you will have to pass the Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB), a test that has not changed much since its inception during World War II. It consists of five timed subsets: mathematics and verbal, mechanical comprehension, aviation and nautical, spatial perception, and a survey gauging interest in aviation. About 10,000 candidates sit for the exam each year.

You’ll have to take a battery of physical, psychological and background tests. You’ll take a flight physical to prove that you’re medically qualified to fly. Your vision can be no worse than 20/40, correctable to 20/20, to become a pilot. You can’t be colorblind or have problems with depth perception. The Navy/Marines do accept applicants who have had laser eye surgery, however.

Unless you hold a recreational or private pilot certificate (or higher) or have completed a solo cross-country flight in a civilian aircraft, you must undergo introductory flight screening. As part of this screening, you are required to take 25 hours of instruction at a certified flight school, completing at least three solo flights, one of them cross-country. Once you’ve accomplished this, you can enroll in the Marines program for aviators, initially in Florida.

Ok since we are speaking of being an aviator Ive personally tryed to research my own personnal question, with no luck. What is the minimum height to be a pilot, either fixed wing or rotary. Thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tookie22 View Post
    Ok since we are speaking of being an aviator Ive personally tryed to research my own personnal question, with no luck. What is the minimum height to be a pilot, either fixed wing or rotary. Thanks

Tookie I hope this helps.

The Navy/Marine height requirements for aviators are 62"-77" for pilots and 60"-78" for NFO's.

The low end are mostly for females

USNAviator appreciate the help. Im right at 62'' on a very good day. But Ive always wanted to be a pilot. Well I'd still have to talk to a career planner this summer anyways. Also do they focus on limb measurements?

Credits
    Savings
    USNAviator appreciate the help. Im right at 62'' on a very good day. But Ive always wanted to be a pilot. Well I'd still have to talk to a career planner this summer anyways. Also do they focus on limb measurements?

You're 62"? Are you proportional? Do you weigh lets say 130 or 250?? As far as limbs, unless your knuckles drag on the ground you're good to go. BTW, if they do drag on the ground consider the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Schade07 View Post
    I am leaving sept 12 for boot camp with a contract for aviation operations. What are the paths I can take to become a pilot or at least have the opportunity to try? I know you can get a college degree before you go in, but what are some other paths that I could follow? Thanks for the help
    Since you are a poolee, you should start with learning how to spell Marine Corps correctly...unbelievable!

And YOU want to be an officer of Marines?

Lol. Yes proportional. My knuckles dont drag, just the finger tips. I weigh 135. But I had heard something about the length and reach, as well as sitting height. I'll figure it out I still have a couple yrs in this contract.

First of all, if you want to go to college in your free time, nobody can tell you otherwise. Obviously your duties as a Marine come first, but it’s not like you have to get permission to go to college. Second, it is possible to get a bachelors degree in 4 years on active duty. I knew a guy who did it. He went to a school who had 8 week semesters. He took 3 classes a semester until he was finished. He also took as many CLEP and DANTES tests as he could which eliminated some classes he had to take. He worked his keester off, but he did it. Will that scenario be the same for you? I don’t know. Everyone’s schedule is different. Depends how much you’re willing to work. But I will tell you this, whether you plan on getting your degree in 4 years or 14 years, DO IT! If you can only take one class a semester, do it. If you can only take a couple classes a year, do it. Chip away at what you can while it is free. I finished my degree on active duty and had it paid completely by TA. Now I’m out and I haven’t even touched my GI bill. Guess how I’m paying for my masters degree? I see so many Marines get off active duty who spent every minute of their free time getting drunk and banging hookers. I’m not saying don’t have any fun, but for God sake what is going to be worth more to you when you get out? And it’s all paid for! Do you realize how many civilians in their 40s are still paying off student loans? They would have killed go to school for free. –Sorry… I’ll end my rant now. I’m sure you can tell this is a subject I’m passionate about.

But back to the original question. MECEP seems to be the best way to go about getting your degree if you want to go from enlisted to officer. You do your time on active duty, then the Marine Corps pays you to go back to civilian life for 4 years and get your degree. Then you come back, go to OCS and all that good stuff and continue on your Marine Corps career. Even if you don’t get to fly, if you want to make the Marine Corps a career, this is the way I would strive to go.

Credits
    Savings
    Lol. Yes proportional. My knuckles dont drag, just the finger tips. I weigh 135. But I had heard something about the length and reach, as well as sitting height. I'll figure it out I still have a couple yrs in this contract.

One thing to consider, most cockpit seats are not like car seats. Depending on the bird, you can move then forward a bit but not up or down and no they don't recline...... Believe me there were times I wish they had

And they are not going to give you a booster seat to sit on. At 5'2" you're going to have a hard time qualifying in anything "hot" F-18 etc. Your best best is to try for helo's or tankers. Navy told me I was best suited to fly Prowlers, all I did was say roger that and aye aye Sir!!

Good luck once again.

Thread Information