Iwo-Jima tattoo disrespectful?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Iwo-Jima tattoo disrespectful?

Okay to start this isn't just another tattoo policy question but, I'm 16 and getting my first tattoo and wanted to get something patriotic. I am joining the Marines right out of high school and was leaning towards a Iwo-Jima tattoo with a quote on my side. Keep in mind this doesn't say Semper Fi, or Marine or anything like that because i realize i haven't earned that title yet. Just wondering if this would be looked on as disrespectful to other Marines since I am not a recruit yet, because I mean no disrespect whatsoever. It's somewhat similar to this...

http://www.grunt.com/corps/tattoos/details/1324/

Thanks,
    Rodney

What Dave2571 said. (still laughing)

How old do you have to be these days in Md. to get a tat?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    How old do you have to be these days in Md. to get a tat?
    No clue. Just know that you can get it with parental consent at 14 or so

Credits
    Savings
    yeah, you got me re-thinking this whole tattoo idea

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    michagnu, the DIs live for stuff like that

My DIs would have made him push until the Earth was close enough to the sun to make it comfortable to wear shorts in December.

If my son came to me and wanted concent for a tat at 16 he would be told no way. He would be told when you are 18 be my guest, as you are the one who has to live your life with it.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    michagnu, the DIs live for stuff like that

Good point Gunny, he's 15 yo.

Rodney go back to being a kid. Forget about trying to impress your classmates, friends, wanna be friends, wanna be girls friends

Study hard, get good grades. Don't worry about a tat right now. If you should earn the title, three years down the road, think about it again.

Don't screw up things to where you may need a waiver.This desire will pass believe me

"Then every time something goes wrong, Where is IWO JIMA VET? get your azz over here for PT"

That's exactly how he'd be called.

Credits
    Savings
    It isn't about impressing anyone, but you still got a good point. Thanks for the advice guys.

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate that. I'll let you know how everything turns out Dave

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy7933 View Post
    It isn't about impressing anyone, but you still got a good point. Thanks for the advice guys.

Really so why do it at 15 years old?? What 15 year old needs a Marine Corps tat??? You want to honor Marines or anyone who served our country, visit a VA hospital, bring them some reading material, sit and talk with them. Many of them are without family members. So if you feel the need to get an Iwo tat why not take that money and by a phone card for a real Iwo vet who can't afford it?

Credits
    Savings
    Didn't even think about that. Sure as helll sounds better than ****ing money away for selfish reasons though.

Here's a great idea for ya. If you already have your sights set on the Marine Corps, and you want to honor the Marines as well as veterans of other branches, organize a small group of your buddies and do little things for the area veteran's hospital, or other vet organizations. Help out with local VFW functions in the interest of raising funds for vets who need help. There are lots of ways to do this. It would mean a ton to some vet to get a new deck of cards, and someone to play cards with every now and then. Books, magazines, letters...anything to let them know that they are important to our nation and to you personally. Use your youthful energy and ambition to shine some light into the darkness that many of our vets find themselves in.

[quote=eddy7933;766829]Didn't even think about that. quote]

That's the problem at 15...you tend NOT to think things through.

At least you asked for advice. We get too many wannabes on here who are finally old enough to join but can't because of some immature decision about a tattoo years before.

Wait till you're 18 (and a Marine) before you do it; you'll be glad you did.

Thread Information