Enlisted as a college grad then apply to OCS as a Green Card Holder
Create Post

Enlisted as a college grad then apply to OCS as a Green Card Holder

Hi Marines,

I am a Green Card Holder college soon-to-be grad (graduating in May) ready to enlist. I want to enlist first and apply for my citizenship while on active duty and then apply to OCS. Is this a good route to take? I've done lots of research on this and it seems like cases like mine are rare so I was wondering if any of you Marines have experience with this.

My case is different from MECEP, ECP, or MCP (as far as I can tell).

I don't necessarily trust my recruiters because they don't seem to know a whole lot about this process. I will ask them to ask OSOs when I meet them again but I'd like to get solid answers from non-recruiting Marines too.

Thank you all very much. Much respect from this soon-to-be poolee,

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegraybook View Post
    Hi Marines,

I am a Green Card Holder college soon-to-be grad (graduating in May) ready to enlist. I want to enlist first and apply for my citizenship while on active duty and then apply to OCS. Is this a good route to take? I've done lots of research on this and it seems like cases like mine are rare so I was wondering if any of you Marines have experience with this.

My case is different from MECEP, ECP, or MCP (as far as I can tell).

I don't necessarily trust my recruiters because they don't seem to know a whole lot about this process. I will ask them to ask OSOs when I meet them again but I'd like to get solid answers from non-recruiting Marines too.

Thank you all very much. Much respect from this soon-to-be poolee,
    Enlisting will probably be your best bet at first

TO QUALIFY FOR THE OFFICER CANDIDATE CLASS (OCC) PROGRAM YOU MUST:

• Pass the ASVAB, with a QT score of 74 or better; or have an SAT score of 1000 or better; or have an ACT of 22 or higher (Math + English)
    • For Aviation take the Aviation Selection Test
    • Pass a physical examination
    • Pass a rigorous Physical Fitness Test (PFT)
    • Be a senior student or have graduated with better than a 2.0 GPA
    • Be a U.S. citizen
    • Be of sound mind and moral character

Yes sir, that's why I'm applying to get my citizenship first while being enlisted. Thank you for your response.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes sir, that's why I'm applying to get my citizenship first while being enlisted. Thank you for your response.

No problem had to change my initial response, didn't realize you going enlisted first

Is going to OCS while enlisted difficult? I know MECEP is extremely competitive, but I do not know if having a degree going in enlisted will change all of that.

That's a great tip. I'll call them up right away. Thank you very much sir.

Credits
    Savings
    Read this

- Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, i.e., MECEP. The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Marines successfully completing the program receive a Baccalaureate Degree and a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows: Corporal or Above

At least 20 years of age but less than 26
    Ranked in the Top 50% of high school class or GED score of 75
    SAT score of 1000 or ACT of 45 or EL score of 115

- Meritorious Commissioning Program. MCP. If you are recommended by your chain of command, and have a little bit of college (75 credits), you can apply for commissioning. If selected, you attend OCS, get commissioned, and then have to complete your degree on your own within a certain time period. Board meets several times a year.

The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

MARADMIN 278/02Highlights major changes to the MCP.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSEWORK
    • A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILLIATED COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
    • NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
    • AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30
    • AFQT => 74 OR SAT=>1000 OR ACT=>45
      NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED.

The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH A FOUR YEAR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
    • NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
    • AFQT =>74 OR SAT=> 1000 OR ACT=>45
    • AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30

Thank you for the information. I have talked to an OSO and it seems like ECP is the program for me. This information is for anyone who might be in my shoes:

Route -> Enlist, bootcamp, apply and receive citizenship, finish MOS training, apply to ECP, then OCS.

This should all take 1 - 1.5 years of time. Thank you all very much for responding so quickly! I am honored.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the information. I have talked to an OSO and it seems like ECP is the program for me. This information is for anyone who might be in my shoes:

Route -> Enlist, bootcamp, apply and receive citizenship, finish MOS training, apply to ECP, then OCS.

This should all take 1 - 1.5 years of time. Thank you all very much for responding so quickly! I am honored.
    I would concur, ECP is your best bet. I'd try to get as much info on it as you can.

And yes you should feel honored...........

Good luck to you and let me know if I can help any more

Thread Information