Reserves to Active Duty Questions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There's a lot more to being a Marine (officer or enlisted) than education. I know enlisted Marines with Masters degrees. But I know a whole lot of great Marine leaders who don't have any college at all.

Being an officer is more than having a degree and wanting to be in charge. You've got to be willing to see the mission through, at all costs. And you've got to be dedicated to your Marines.

Their problems are your problems. Their tears are your tears. Their sacrifices are shared, or exceeded by you. They eat before you, and go to sleep before you. If there's no more food left, you're the one who goes without. One of the young Marines has problems at 0200 in the morning? Guess who gets the call? Not only the SNCOIC, but the OIC as well. And then it's YOUR problem.

A Marine leader sets the example, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. In some ways, sometimes NCOs and SNCOs may have it easier because they have a couple of years as a young private, PFC, and Lance Corporal to obtain role models, and observe/develop rudimentary leadership techniques. They then go on to be Marine leaders in their own right, and many of them are great leaders.

A Lieutenant is expected to be a leader from the very beginning. But he usually has no experience, so he's got to walk a fine line between being a leader, and learning from his NCOs and SNCOs. Some can do it, some can't.

- Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program, i.e., MECEP. The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Marines successfully completing the program receive a Baccalaureate Degree and a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows: Corporal or Above

At least 20 years of age but less than 26
    Ranked in the Top 50% of high school class or GED score of 75
    SAT score of 1000 or ACT of 45 or EL score of 115

- Meritorious Commissioning Program. MCP. If you are recommended by your chain of command, and have a little bit of college (75 credits), you can apply for commissioning. If selected, you attend OCS, get commissioned, and then have to complete your degree on your own within a certain time period. Board meets several times a year.

The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

MARADMIN 278/02Highlights major changes to the MCP.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSEWORK
    • A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILLIATED COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
    • NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
    • AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30
    • AFQT => 74 OR SAT=>1000 OR ACT=>45
      NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED.

The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.
    MCO 1040.43A
    • MARINES WITH A FOUR YEAR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE
    • U.S. CITIZEN
    • BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
    • GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
    • NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
    • AFQT =>74 OR SAT=> 1000 OR ACT=>45
    • AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    THANKS FOR THE SUMMARY... @USNAviator

I appreciate all of your help, It's a tough decision but I'll confidently move forward with whatever I do end up doing in the end. I do like the aspect of having enlisted experience prior to becoming an officer, because I think it would REALLY help me lead better.

Thanks again everyone.... If anyone else wants to add in, I'm all ears!

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry but I have one more question.

Does anyone know if the percentage rates for acceptance to these programs over the last couple years are available?

The Corps is reducing the size of the force. Last year the Corps only let lawyers go from the reserve to active duty. This year, no officer can go active from the reserves. Next year - who knows?? I'm talking about reserve officers, not enlisted. Officers must go through a RAD (return to active duty) board if they were active and got out or if they are in the reserve and want to go active. That board only meets once a year if at all. The Corps also denied promotion to tons of 1stLts forcing them to get out or go reserve.
    If you become a reserve officer you will face fierce competition to deploy or do any active duty time. Most reserve officers want to deploy or want to go active duty. They get all motivated during initial training.

If you enlist in the reserves, you can go active as an officer if you get selected to go to OCS. I did that and so have several in my current unit.

My advice is to apply for OCS and go active duty if you get selected. After your initial tour (apx. 3.5 years) decide whether you want to stay in, get out, or go reserve. Just keep in mind it is getting harder and harder to stay on active duty for a full 20 year career for both officers and enlisted.

P.S. the age requirment is waiverable. I went through with a few in their early 30s.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay I will definitely keep all of that in mind.
    Especially about the difficulty to have a 20 year career in the Corps, because that would be my goal.
    Thank you.

Thread Information