Reserves to Active Duty Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Cool Reserves to Active Duty Questions

Hi my name is Michael Pirtle, and I am a 21 year old 4th year college student. I have roughly 2 more years to finishing my degree because I changed my major last summer coming into my Senior year. I have been contemplating going to Marine OCS, but my GPA is not that good. I ultimately would like to become a Marine Corps Officer and I am looking at possible career paths to accomplish that goal. I would prefer to go active duty, but I also want to enlist as soon as possible. I have talked to a recruiter about doing the Reserves and coming back to finish my degree, and this sounds like a good option.
    My questions are:
    If I go Reserves would I have to finish my 6 years before applying to become an officer?
    If I go Reserves would I be able to switch over to Active Duty fairly easily if i wanted to?
    Also would I be able to voluntarily apply for deployments as a Reservist?

Mainly I just want to get as much Active Duty time in if I did go Reserves, because I'm mainly looking at it due to it getting me the quickest ship date. I really would like to go Active Duty off the bat.

Sorry that this was so long, I just want to make a well-informed decision.
    Any advice about Active vs Reserve enlistment and Active Duty to Officer opportunities is welcome.

Thanks for your time Gentlemen!

Try doing a search on the site. These types of questions have been covered before.

frak, not everyone knows the search terms that would guide them in the right direction or wants to wade through a bunch of similar but ultimately useless threads.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCLegacy View Post
    Hi my name is Michael Pirtle, and I am a 21 year old 4th year college student. I have roughly 2 more years to finishing my degree because I changed my major last summer coming into my Senior year. I have been contemplating going to Marine OCS, but my GPA is not that good. I ultimately would like to become a Marine Corps Officer and I am looking at possible career paths to accomplish that goal. I would prefer to go active duty, but I also want to enlist as soon as possible. I have talked to a recruiter about doing the Reserves and coming back to finish my degree, and this sounds like a good option.
    My questions are:
    If I go Reserves would I have to finish my 6 years before applying to become an officer?
    No, I know reservists that went into one of various officer programs before their initial contract was up. That doesn't mean it'll be easy to get into or that there will be any slots available.
    If I go Reserves would I be able to switch over to Active Duty fairly easily if i wanted to?
    Like many other things, depends. Depends on your MOS and a variety of other factors. Some people find it very easy to switch to active reserve or active. Others find it damn near impossible. The military simply isn't hurting for people these days.

Also would I be able to voluntarily apply for deployments as a Reservist?
    Yes, again it depends on your MOS and other factors. For example, a buddy of mine has an easy time finding deployments as an MP but it's a hell of a lot harder for my MOS which is pretty over saturated in the reserve component. You also have the disadvantage of not having as much on the job MOS training as the active duty guys.

Mainly I just want to get as much Active Duty time in if I did go Reserves, because I'm mainly looking at it due to it getting me the quickest ship date. I really would like to go Active Duty off the bat.
    Don't make any decisions based on ship date. That is a very bad mistake. Two, four or six years down the line you may be regretting the position you're in that was the result of you wanting to ship out a few months early and those few months will mean nothing. Make a decision based on what you want to do and then find out about ship dates. That should be the absolute least of your concerns.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your quick responses!

I have been scanning the msg boards and everything but, with all due respect, advice for my specific situation is always great. I am just trying to make the most educated decision for myself right now.

I think that difference in money would be a big factor that would pull me towards the Active Duty over Reserves. Also I think I would enjoy being around the fleet on a daily basis (Active Duty pro). I just love Marines and I look forward to being one and having the opportunity to potentially lead them! I like the fact that the Reserves leaves my options for finishing my academic career a little more open; however, and getting my degree is important to me (Reserves pro). With that in mind, I think that my choice is pretty sound so far.

I know that Reservists get to pick their specific MOS. I am primarily interested in the Communications or Computer Technical fields. I'm currently looking at applying for either MOS 0651, Data Systems Technician... or MOS 2847, Telephone Systems/ Personal Computer Repairer... I would think that your options are better as far as getting voluntary deployments if your in an undermanned MOS due to need to fill positions. Is the Communications field overmanned right now?

The end game for me is becoming an Officer. I have done research on the MECEP program and enlisted to officer opportunities. My question to you all would be are these programs easy to apply for and get accepted to. I wouldn't count on finishing my degree with night school active duty because I would like to dedicate my efforts to fulfilling my job responsibilities; therefore, if I go active I would really be aiming for the MECEP. I know that you have to stay out of trouble and do your job well, but any non-delinquent Marine should do this anyway in my mind. If I go active and perform up to standard are these programs something I could bank on being available to me?

If you don't mind me asking, what are some MOS' that you have heard of where people have success with pursuing other career options like deployments and applying for PLC or OCS?

I appreciate your time.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Log on to the site below for any answers regarding OCS or PLC. What exactly are you classified as, a Senior? If so then PLC is out. You can only do that up to your Junior year

And OCS is extremely competitive. Unlike boot camp where unless you totally screw up your in, OCS is a selection process. Think of it as trying to make the varsity with 100 trying out and only 30 spots open

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Well you get to pick your MOS based on what's available. If they don't need any 0651s in your area then they're not likely to give you that option unless you move somewhere else. You can find out what reserve units are in your area here:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforres/Units/index.aspx

Thing is what's available in those enlisted to officer programs today might be completely different a year or four from now. I would contact both a recruiter and an officer selection officer to see what options they may have for you.

Credits
    Savings
    I've actually been in contact with both my OSO for Bloomington and the recruiter I'm applying for the Reserves with. I know that this option would be available, but like you said I would hate to not get accepted to OCS because at the moment I don't have a very competitive GPA. Im also pretty well versed on OCS and everything that comes along with that.

Also both of the MOS' that I listed are positions that were offered to me by my recruiter. I might take the second only because my active duty time at MOS school would be roughly triple that of the other, and they are pretty similar fields.

My main gray area right now is the Active Duty to Officer options like MECEP. If this is a fairly common way of the Marine Corps selecting Officers then I would prefer this route to the PLC or Reserve career path. Like I expressed before I would love to spend more time Active Duty Enlisted before becoming an officer, but the end game for me is ultimately choosing the path that will get me in a position to not only be one of but also lead some of the world's finest.

I am a 2847 right now. If you have any questions just ask. As it stands the MOS is undermanned. We are always open for re-enlistment, and we always have high re-enlistment bonuses. What you will be doing with the MOS depends on where you get stationed. You can go to an ELMACO where it will be like a factory, and you will be fixing the same gear over and over. You can go to a shop attached to a unit where you find the major component that is broke and bring it to the ELMACO, or you can go to a base and manage the telephone network. There are other scenarios as well.

As far as MECEP, they are making it extremely competative right now. You have to at least be a SGT, and have some college done. As well as having high fitness scores, grades, and academic test scores.

Credits
    Savings
    Awesome! Thank you for your help sir. So with the fact that it is an undermanned MOS, does this mean that a Reserves Marine's request to switch to active duty or voluntarily deploy would be more likely to be granted? Just wondering because I will more than likely look to deploy early so I could save up some money and get good in-the-field experience on my resume'. My goal would be to come back and finish my degree at Indiana University afterwards.

I think that with the fact that MECEP is very competitive I think I will stick with the Reserves option because even though I have 63 credits my GPA is really not that good. I think the discipline from bootcamp and studying for MOS school would help me get high grades after coming back to school and make me more marketable to any selection boards as they would see the improvement on transcripts. Also even if I dont get accepted to OCS I would at least have my degree and could go active duty after that, but I do have a good relationship with my OSO here and he said he would take care of me when I get back from training.

Again I can't thank all of you enough, this information is invaluable to me thus far!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Awesome! Thank you for your help sir. So with the fact that it is an undermanned MOS, does this mean that a Reserves Marine's request to switch to active duty or voluntarily deploy would be more likely to be granted? Just wondering because I will more than likely look to deploy early so I could save up some money and get good in-the-field experience on my resume'. My goal would be to come back and finish my degree at Indiana University afterwards.

I think that with the fact that MECEP is very competitive I think I will stick with the Reserves option because even though I have 63 credits my GPA is really not that good. I think the discipline from bootcamp and studying for MOS school would help me get high grades after coming back to school and make me more marketable to any selection boards as they would see the improvement on transcripts. Also even if I dont get accepted to OCS I would at least have my degree and could go active duty after that, but I do have a good relationship with my OSO here and he said he would take care of me when I get back from training.

Again I can't thank all of you enough, this information is invaluable to me thus far!
    Switching from reserves to active duty is NOT easy by any means. I have been through the process twice now over the last 2 years and been shot down by the active duty side both times. Its not a matter of how good of a Marine you are or your MOS, it comes down to whether there is an open seat for you in the fleet. AD would rather take a fresh recruit and new Marine then a LCpl or a Cpl. because it costs less money. Even if an MOS is undermanned in the active side doesn't mean you will have an easier time switching. Active and Reserves are two completely different animals. Although the MOS may be the same the jobs you do will be completely different.

If you go reserves you will have a much easier time and better opportunity to deploy than you will trying to switch to active duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay, I also believe that the age limit to be accepted to the OCS program would be 24. I will be 22 in June. Knowing that opportunities to leave the Reserves to go Active Duty is limited, this makes it more unattractive to me. With that said I am REALLY looking into active duty options. If anyone knows more information about other Active Enlisted to Officer opportunities and if this happens often that would be great to hear your opinions.

I will also scan the boards for more info as well.
    Thank you Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    For an interestee who is ultimately interested in being a Marine Corps Officer would you point them towards going Active Duty in search of a commission or towards the Reserves? That would be my main question.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you are looking to strictly become an officer I would say neither. Your chances of being accepted into a commissioning program won't really be any higher because you are already a Marine (unless you are doing MECEP, which is only available to Sgt. and above). The standards they look for are still the same.

who told you the age limit for OCS was 24??....that is wrong. Most candidates are right around the 23-25 mark. You have all the way up to 30 to graduate and commission.

There are a few active enlisted to officer officers programs...

MECEP which I mentioned before but you have to be a $hit hot Sgt. or higher in order to be selected

ECP (enlisted commissioning program) which is available to any rank really but you have to already have your degree and again be selected for it which means you need to at the top of your game.

My suggestion to you is to tough out the last 2 years at school, keeping in touch with an OSO to stay motivated, graduate, go to OCS and commission. I went through this same dilemma and situation a few years back.

Credits
    Savings
    What did you end up deciding to do and how has your situation worked out for you?
    The more I read on it the more I'm leaning towards enlisting and finishing an online degree program once I'm in the fleet. I could then apply for ECP around the same timeframe as if I would have stayed in school and applied for OCS but I would have been working as well. If there is no higher or lesser chance other than putting together a good package for the selection board, then the college route has no advantage to me. I've been in college for 4 years now and I feel like its time to move on honestly.
    Also while I am seeking to receive a commission, I want to be the best leader that I could possibly be if I do get put in that position. With that said I think having put that time in with the fleet and being able to relate to those under me would be beneficial and worth it in the long run.

Any thoughts?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    What did you end up deciding to do and how has your situation worked out for you?
    The more I read on it the more I'm leaning towards enlisting and finishing an online degree program once I'm in the fleet. I could then apply for ECP around the same timeframe as if I would have stayed in school and applied for OCS but I would have been working as well. If there is no higher or lesser chance other than putting together a good package for the selection board, then the college route has no advantage to me. I've been in college for 4 years now and I feel like its time to move on honestly.
    Also while I am seeking to receive a commission, I want to be the best leader that I could possibly be if I do get put in that position. With that said I think having put that time in with the fleet and being able to relate to those under me would be beneficial and worth it in the long run.

Any thoughts?
    I enlisted in the reserves thinking it would help me commission by paying for school and already being a Marine. Not the case, I thoroughly enjoy being a Marine now but it didn't help with the original plan. I just ended up getting caught up in being a Marine and not going back to school.

I fully understand exactly the position you are in, I am not saying you can't do it but I am just saying that it will be difficult. You will get caught up with being a Marine and doing your job, going to school and trying to commission will be a secondary thought and may eventually just go away.

This is why I say if your ultimate goal is to commission then tough out the next year or so of school, graduate, go to OCS, and commission the more traditional way.

Thread Information