Tribute to Vietnam Veterans
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Tribute to Vietnam Veterans

Senate Resolution Sets March 30 as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The hardships experienced by Vietnam veterans years ago should serve as a lesson to the American public today with the influx of veterans from U.S. conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a Senate resolution cosponsored by U.S. Senator Thad Cochran (R-Miss.).

The resolution, authored by U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), designates March 30 as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” March 30, 2011 will be the 38th anniversary of the withdrawal of U.S. combat units and combat support units from Vietnam.

“The American people were torn by war in Vietnam, and the divisiveness of those times led to unfair treatment of many returning American veterans. This resolution sets aside a day for the public to properly honor Vietnam veterans, so that the national healing process can continue and the lessons learned from that era can help today’s veterans successfully readjust to civilian life after military serviced,” Cochran said.

The Senate resolution encourages Americans to honor the men and women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War, noting the lack of public support exhibited toward these veterans upon their return home. While commemorating their service, the measure also encourages Vietnam veterans and the public to assist younger veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan to recover from wounds or post-traumatic stress illnesses.

S.Res.55 states that “the Vietnam War was an extremely divisive issue among people of the United States and a conflict that caused a generation of veterans to wait too long for the United States public to acknowledge and honor the efforts and services” of those servicemen and women who served in South Vietnam and throughout Southeast Asia.

More than 58,000 Americans were killed or listed as missing in action during the Vietnam conflict that first involved the American Armed Forces as advisors in 1961. More than 300,000 service members were wounded during the war, which concluded with the March 30, 1973 extraction of American combat forces and the ensuing fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975.

Credits
    Savings
    Too little, too late.

Credits
    Savings
    Especially coming from that bunch of crooks. I wonder how many of them went to the draft board wearing lipstick and lace panties to keep from serving/

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Dont mean shet now. Way to late!

Credits
    Savings
    I might help if they gave something meaningful to the families of the 58,000 that didn't make it back and a bottle of Jack to those uf us that did. I'd even settle for old crow.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I might help if they gave something meaningful to the families of the 58,000 that didn't make it back and a bottle of Jack to those uf us that did. I'd even settle for old crow.
    Well drink to the memories of our fallen brothers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    bla bla bla...i sure hope it makes them feel better...it does nothin for me...may have 40 years ago

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    **** them,,,,,,, I'll take the Jack. And drink to the memories. The rest be dammed.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The resolution, authored by U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), designates March 30 as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” March 30, 2011 will be the 38th anniversary of the withdrawal of U.S. combat units and combat support units from Vietnam.

Something about the author of this resolution:

"Burr was born in
    Charlottesville, Virginia, the son of Martha (née Gillum) and Rev. David Horace Burr, a minister.[1] He graduated from Richard J. Reynolds High School in Winston-Salem, N.C. in 1974 and earned a B.A. from Wake Forest University in 1978. Burr was on the football team at both Reynolds High School and Wake Forest. Burr lettered for the Demon Deacons during the 1974 and 1975 seasons; however, the team went winless in ACC play during his tenure.[2] He is a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity."

I guess military service wasn't high on his to do list. Maybe he has a guilty conscience?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Maybe I don't give a flyin ****.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Maybe I don't give a flyin ****.
    Damn, didn't realize the sun is under the yard arm. Down anchor, up cork

"On December 18, 2010, Burr voted in favor of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010"

"In May 2007, Burr was one of 14 Senators to vote against an Iraq War funding bill despite his strong support of the war"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't care what he sucks.

As others have said, too little, too late. This seems to me to be another insincere political maneuver to appease the conscience of some and confirm what I've always believed, we were nothing but political pawns for those who only had the balls to get America into a war, not to fight that war. It seems we are still thought of in that way by Senator Burr. I salute all of you fellow grunts and like people who took the war to the enemy, and came home to a very divided country that made no distinction between the merit of a war and those who fought it with distinction and courage and personal sacrifice.
    Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nixon will always be my fav. He had the webos to bring us home.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    CRYING SHAME,WHAT ABOUT THE MIA/POW, out of sight out of mind. iam at a ball game all the sudden game stops ,over in section 109 are some troops just back for where ever. lets give them a loud wecome home. i look over there a bunch of fat bodys in camos,

Thread Information