MOS question
Create Post

Thread: MOS question

MOS question

Before posting this, yes, I used the search bar and read through many of the forums previous posts. I did my homework and spent time looking before making this post. Just wanted to mention that, because I've noticed there seem to be numerous people who like to reply rude comments or ones telling the recruit to use the search bar, instead of simply not replying or replying with something useful.

Heres my delima, when filling out my contract there was an option where I could put down a 3, or a 4. My recruiter told me it was my choice. I put down a 3, but I thought all contracts were 4 years, but have now read that 3 year contracts are available on a case by case basis, so I wanted to make sure I understood that right and that I signed up for 3 years active.

My real question is this, I "think" I want Infantry, but as many others have the dream of going Recon, I do to. Ive never quit anything and am very athletic. So I at least want the UZ enlistmen option to make sure they at least take a look at me.

The other thing im interested in, is Security Forces-Fast Company. Ive been told that Security Forces, and getting fast company is 'luck of the draw'. However if I got the GOP and said I prefered overseas compared to East/West coast, then would that make sure I got Fast Co.?

If so, and I went security forces, since its also an infantry contract.. can I still get the UZ contract with it? That way I still get a shot at Recon also..

I also was told by a guy who went security forces 6 months ago, and is now stationed in Washington at a naval base, that he was told Security Forces was going to stop doing the 2yr security-3yr infantry, and go to just 4 yr security forces.. is this true?

I havent been able to talk to my recruiter for the past week - or I would have went over this with him, and we go back to MEPS in about 10 days(we have to go back for my 'consult because I got 2 speeding tickets in 6months, lame but thats how MEPS is). So im needing to get decided what im wanting to do and there seem to be alot of great and experienced Marines on here so hoping someone can help.

Thanks for any help!

Well **** me dude, I would've done 4 years security forces if they had that gig... ask your friend if they really are doing that. I was thinking MSG if I re-enlisted, but I'm not feeling the 2 years infantry you have to do after leaving SF.

The problem with SF is a lot of the guys get out as Corporals and stuff, and they go to the infantry knowing jack sh*t about leadership. Yes, they're taught some stuff that can be used, but odds are they didn't actually do anything besides standing post and training. And it really depends on the type of person you are, that's not the case for everyone but SF Marines have that reputation for being boots. But I hear they go through like 1000 rounds every week, damn dude, lemme know if you hear anything back from your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil1087 View Post
    The problem with SF is a lot of the guys get out as Corporals and stuff, and they go to the infantry knowing jack sh*t about leadership. Yes, they're taught some stuff that can be used, but odds are they didn't actually do anything besides standing post and training. And it really depends on the type of person you are, that's not the case for everyone but SF Marines have that reputation for being boots. But I hear they go through like 1000 rounds every week, damn dude, lemme know if you hear anything back from your friend.
    That was true 20 years ago too - which is why, time and again, I try to stress that being a grunt is involves much more work than just the training schedule - especially for those who wish to become NCOs -- ESPECIALLY for those assigned to Security Forces or some other assignment other than an infantry battalion for their first posting. If you're going to lead Marines - even as a senior salty Lance Corporal, you need to know your stuff - and know it well. That means studying, reading, and mastering the art of small unit combat - not just what's happening now, but preparing yourself for the next sh!thole that the Corps is going to send you to that even CNN can't find on a map.

Unfortunately I saw too many NCOs come into my infantry unit from Security Forces or MSG who didn't know squat about rifle squad tactics - let alone knowing enough about taking over a rifle platoon, calling for an airstrike, or writing a patrol order - and unfortunately I helped one or two become Lance Corporals again because they refused to get themselves up to speed. So, take the Devildog's words in the post above me as being fair warning. This Marine knows of what he speaks - if your go Security Forces, don't spend your down time drinking and playing Call of Duty - spend some time in the FMFMs and reading the available Lessons Learned.

Oh they know how to shoot and they understand a lot of stuff an infantry Marine needs to know, but they don't understand infantry tactics is their problem.

If you go anywhere in the Marine Corps throwing your rank around like many do, expect to be doing desk work with the grunt unit. Officers should listen to their enlisted NCO's, and NCO's should listen to their Lance Coolie's because they might know how to shoot and scoot, they might know how to run convoy's, but they don't know how to win a firefight.

But seriously, if you hear anything about this 4 year gig I'd like to know. I'd like to go back home to Washington but I don't want to go on recruiting duty. Bangor is close enough to the Seattle area for me.

If anyone has a question about Bangor.. Message me

Thread Information