Life as a Combat Engineers and other questions about the MOS.
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Life as a Combat Engineers and other questions about the MOS.

Hi,

I have another 8 months to go until I ship out to recruit training and I had a couple questions about being a Combat Engineer. I had my mind set on being something in the 02xx field but deep down inside I really always wanted to be a combat engineer. The reason I was looking into an intel job was because of the benefits that come along with it in the civilian world (plus, while stateside, I would have time to work on another degree online). Im looking to get some first hand information about what being an engineer is like. Ive seen all the videos on youtube and done tons of research on the MOS but have yet to get some information form current or former engineers. The specific questions I have are:

What is the current role that an engineer plays in Afghanistan?

Is the job of controlling the IED threat the main job for all engineers?

From what I heard the MOS is widely used, how often do engineers get deployed?

Do engineers have any say in which group they are placed (ESB, CEB, MWSS)?

If so, can an engineer switch from say an ESB to a CEB?

Whats the a typical day like when not on deployment and on base?

Thats pretty much all I can think of right now but Im sure more questions will roll in eventually. I appreciate all the information I can get and would very much like to know if you were part of a CEB, ESB or MWSS.

Thank you!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I forgot to mention that I am signed up for Active Duty, I don't know if that changes anything. Also, I just noticed the error in the title.

Your Not guarenteed to get 1371 combat engineer if your active duty. You probuly signed a Constuction/engineering Contract Just like I signed a supply/accounting contract when i joined. You dont find out your MOS till MCT

Odds are you'll get combat engineer dude, it's the largest MOS in the field. In Afghanistan expect to be doing route clearances, and lots of it. You build stuff and blow up stuff, that's basically the job.

Now the threat is very high, you're the guy who has to take care of the IEDs. Latest scuttlebutt is that Mr. Talib likes to bury IEDs with hypodermic needles that are infected with HIV and other good stuff. If you get pricked, you're essentially f*cked. All of this word is from a buddy of mine who's in a CEB. You won't really have a choice where you're put, if you go to the wing, just don't say you're the grunts of the wing, no you're just a huge POG

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the information Marines! That whole thing about the hypodermic needles sounds pretty hairy. Thanks to psyclopsus for the links, im reading them thoroughly.

Don't worry about it too much, I don't know if that needle incident was just an isolated incident or if it happens frequently. It's word that got passed down because he's prepping for a deployment.

Tactics shift, and by the time you're in if the needles are actually a problem there'll be a way around it.

I just got back from in-country and never heard anything about the needles with HIV thing. I know though that they will fill DFC's with shrapnel that has pooped/****ed on in order to cause infections.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSU11 View Post
    What is the current role that an engineer plays in Afghanistan? dependent on unit, I was tasked out to a line company while in country so my main job was force protection, ied/cache sweeping, breaching

Is the job of controlling the IED threat the main job for all engineers? no, it can be from construction force, convoy security for a CLB log train, or what I said above. your command will task you to do what they need done

From what I heard the MOS is widely used, how often do engineers get deployed? that is true, you can get deployed often

Do engineers have any say in which group they are placed (ESB, CEB, MWSS)? No

If so, can an engineer switch from say an ESB to a CEB? You have to wait till you orders

Whats the a typical day like when not on deployment and on base? I play xbox and work out when not doing some training stuff
    you have any other questions, send me a PM. I'm engineer with combat assault battalion

Credits
    Savings
    Im a division combat engineer (CEB)...the main thing we're used for right now is route clearance..so yeah. IEDs and such...if youre not on your predeployment work up youre going to demo ranges and doing classes for you to get certified in somethin which may be driving a specific vehicle.

Thread Information