USMC Infantry
Create Post

Thread: USMC Infantry

USMC Infantry

Hey shipping out july 26, currently DEP and have an 0311 contract reserved for after basic. Born into military family, all marines and all I've wanted is infantry. Though I'm not commited to being a Rifleman on contract or mentally. Been looking at 0351 assaultman and 0331 machine gunner. Id like some first hand advice from marines who have experienced these mos'. All replies are appreciated.

Dooooon't be an 0351, if you want to know what the modern 0351 does, ask the creator of TL(terminal lance), Max. They never pick up.

You'll be voluntold your MOS in SOI, however there IS a wishlist, which is a joke but worth it if the CI's like you, which probably won't happen. Pray for mortars, it's a bit more technical than 0331 or 0311 but it's somewhat skate compared to other grunt MOS'. But then again you DO have to hump the mortar around...

I'm a 0311 I love it...0351 dont promote I have a corporal in my company whos been in for 8 years and just picked up corporal two years ago. I really cant talk about 0331 except when MOS split happens at ITB they spend all the tim ein the rear going to classes,ranges and the chow hall while 0311 go to the field every week (0331,0341,0351 and 0352 do the IFEX tho, they dig in or do supported attacks). It was hard earning the mos of 0311 (lots of hiking and lots of running) but it was worth it.

I’m a 0351 and I love it; however, the mos doesn’t promote fast at all. On the other hand there is a maradmin that just came out where a unit commander can promote someone to the next rank if they need someone to be a squad leader and what not and are lacking in NCOs, but that is only before a deployment. Getting selected for a mos isn’t difficult at SOI, you just have to have high test scores and be decent at math if you want to become a 51. The math portion isn’t hard at all. Machine gunners are cool but you’ll get to spend a lot of time doing gun drills, and humping a 50 cal receiver all over the 52 area. The reasons I enjoy being a 51 are shooting the smaw and also getting to work with demo. The reason 51’s spend more time in the classroom, opposed to 11’s, is due to the mos being considerably more technical. When I was there the 11’s always complained about not getting to learn something cool; doing “I’m up he sees me I’m down,” gets particularly old after a while. If you want 51 then go for it, and if you are squared away you’ll get promoted.

hey bud, don't be a idiot like all of us other 0351s are. If you become an 0351 you might as well be a POG or a handyman, cause that's all we do nowadays. Nearly impossible to pick up corporal in one enlistment, we get put on stupid POG duties on deployments, never get to do our actual MOS in the rear (I've been in for 4 years and have shot 6 SMAW rockets in 3 different ranges (including SOI), and have been to 3 demo ranges (including SOI). Not even worth having this MOS because you will never do your actual MOS. Be an 0352 if you wanna blow stuff up and be a grunt. I'm in Afghanistan now and our 52's are lightin up the taliban all the time with the javelin and sabre, plus they do mounted patrols mostly in the nice air conditioned MRAPs and MATVs. Oh and all the guys that are 52's in my battalion that came in the same time as me are all sergeants or about to be within a couple of months. Pretty hard to get meritorious too as a 51 since they would rather give it to someone that can be of good use. Good luck in whatever MOS you choose put I would say go with 52.

Go guns..as stated above 51's don't pick up as they are a dying MOS. Yes, you have a choice at ITB but its based on your GT score and whether you can hike or not that determines if you can go weapons. I graduated ITB as an 11. When I came to the fleet, they needed mortarmen and machine gunners BAD..so they took volunteers. I saw an opportunity to learn another MOS so I jumped on it and cross trained as a mortarmen. And yea, mortarmen have it skate as F@%Kk. Its not that much more technical then guns. If I could go back and do it again I would be a 31 just to get a little more action in the field and in country. In the end it's all the needs of the Corps..this deployment our entire company are going to be 11's

Thread Information