Gone Fishing
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

riffles, slots, seems, a couple of pools, tailouts.....that's what i'm talkin about

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You got it toooo good.

Credits
    Savings

Fishin

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post

riffles, slots, seems, a couple of pools, tailouts.....that's what i'm talkin about

That must be fishermen talk ??

Yep, but the targets appeared empty today. River was still a bit roily and blown out from recent rains, or, the fish got the lockjaw and didn't dig on any of my prawn/roe/marabou jig presentations.

That's ok, i got cold and wind burned and didn't have to work bent over in a dingy old barn all day

Credits
    Savings
    Yep, but the targets appeared empty today. River was still a bit roily and blown out from recent rains, or, the fish got the lockjaw and didn't dig on any of my prawn/roe/marabou jig presentations.

That's ok, i got cold and wind burned and didn't have to work bent over in a dingy old barn all day
    Fling a #6 BugMiester at them. Classic fly. Works most times for me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    a graywolf fly works in the high mountain lakes in these parts....but they are all froze over as i typ...snows gettin plumb deep up there.....slinger you may be getting a large water supply next spring.....have swimming and flotation devises ready

The worst day I ever spent fishing still beats the best day I ever had at work.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Hilgermites/spin flies brownee and bows love them................................usmc

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    a graywolf fly works in the high mountain lakes in these parts....but they are all froze over as i typ...snows gettin plumb deep up there.....slinger you may be getting a large water supply next spring.....have swimming and flotation devises ready
    Gray Wulff

Bugmeister

Bill/Dave, they are both badass flies. I carry both.

... and our streams and rivers, if not frozen are low due to snow higher up.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Come spring on the north fork of the south plate when ice off with my girlfriend in a tee shirt a cool breeze cold beer i put down the pole, kick back watch the sunset. liven the life. we go ice fishing at eleven mile res , not as much fun ,

Caught a lot of large mouth bass in water like that in Mexico on the Rio Hardy River, until the Mexicans started using Seine nets. Really screwed up the fishing. You only fished there in the winter, much too hot in the summer.

These areas hold fish when the run is on and the water holds its color

That green *tailout is where they tend to rest and stack up after sucking wind up those riffles below, that are about 150 yards long.
    The seems -a couple feet on either side of the yellow lines- can be most productive in various conditions.
    The broken choppy water between the red slot is good for clear and warmer temps when they seek cover and dissolved O2.
    But, when the water is high and silty like it was yesterday, the only "classic" holding water still in shape is the brown areas, and that's about what color it was

Need big bright terminal gear like chartreuse, fluorescent oranges, reds, pinks, glow-inda-dark and scent.

*Tailouts are almost always semi-crescent shaped when viewed from heights; look for them, they hold the most salmonid.

Tight Lines!

When it's high and murky, look for 'em to be closer to the banks where they can get away from the silt a little bit.

Most of the day was spent standing right at the water line or less than 1 ft. deep with extended arm and a 10.5 ft pole: open the spool and thumb into a few feet of water, back bounce, move down stream, repeat, rest arm/change up presentation; repeat.

I was hunting remnants of the silver run, will try again after Thanksgiving to see if the 2salt steelies are in the system yet. Have you been on the rivers lately..

KS has been raising trout for some time now and stocking several lake around the state twice a year now. One of these days going to have to try and catch one or two of them things.

Thread Information