Question for our Docs
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for our Docs

First off, Morning and Semper Fi to all our Docs. I am going to pose a question that you may or may not be able to answer. It is concerning bursitis of my elbow. I know the majority of you have stated repeatedly that you are not MDs but I have found that our Devil Docs seem to be able to explain things in English as opposed to Ego-ese. I have bursitis in my left elbow. It gets quite warm, very sore, and swells up to the point where it looks like I have an egg under the skin.

Other than cortisone shots in the elbow is there any other way to fix this recurring issue? Damn tired of having this occur every 6 months or so.

If you can answer, please let me know. If not, thank you for your service and support.

Again, Semper Fi to all of you.

Bursitis

First of all, how did you hurt it, or when and why did you start having this problem.

Swelling can be caused by fluid built up, tissues being damaged and swells up. It is wierd that the swelling does not go down with the cortizone shots.

I would have to talk this out with you.

Q:
    what do you do for work
    how did you hurt it or when did you first noticed the pain/injury
    did you get any xrays if it is mandated
    what other medicines or treatments have you had for this
    is this the only joint that is bothering you

Quote Originally Posted by pyquijano7 View Post
    First of all, how did you hurt it, or when and why did you start having this problem.

Swelling can be caused by fluid built up, tissues being damaged and swells up. It is wierd that the swelling does not go down with the cortizone shots.

I would have to talk this out with you.

Q:
    what do you do for work
    how did you hurt it or when did you first noticed the pain/injury
    did you get any xrays if it is mandated
    what other medicines or treatments have you had for this
    is this the only joint that is bothering you
    And the answers.

I have no idea how or when I first damaged it. Since this has continuously occurred for the last 20 or so years, I absolutely do not remember.

The swelling will go down the cortisone injections but it returns in about 6 month.

I am a Research Engineer. Spend my days (and often nights) on my butt beating on my keyboard.

They have never given me XRays.... just shot me up.

Nope.... just cortisone injections. The MD last night gave me some massive steroid pills pack (take 6, take 5...etc ) and something called bacterium (I believe)

LOL.... I am damn near 60 years old.... All my joints hurt me but this is the only one that has bursitis. The rest are standard old guy arthritis.

If this makes any sense... any and all assistance will be appreciated. If they have a surgery to remove whatever is causing this... hell I would go that route as opposed to the recurring issue.

This is why Marines have always appreciated our Devil Docs!

Bursitis

There has to be a root cause for all the pain and swelling. Don't know why they have never xray it or MRI. If you can't see inside, you obviously can't tell what is going on inside.

Elbow Joints are comprised of the heads of the bones in your forearm and upper arms. Within the joints are ligaments, tendons and miniscus. Ligaments and tendons attach bones to bones and to the near by muscles. Misniscus are the padding between the bones.

These joint parts are injured by trauma, disease like arthritis, and overuse. It can also be injured by over used like pitching and tennis.
    The motion of having your elbow at the same position while typing or on a desk can also cause wear and tear on these elbow parts. This is know as overuse syndrome.

There also could be scar tissues down there from an old injury that is irritating that joint and causing the swelling.

I have another appointment on Monday. Perhaps it is time to suggest to them that perhaps MRI is called for. Hell since I am paying the bills.... perhaps at my suggestion... uhhhh urging.... uhhhhh.... a growling demand...he will have one scheduled for me. I refuse to continue for whatever time I have left putting up with the cyclic nature of this issue.

If I can understand whatever the MD says.... I will report back.

Thanks Doc.... Semper Fi... will be back.

Hello Dr Z and Doc Pyquijano 7-I have had experience with this very type of affliction-Usually there is an injection of a Steroid-and mixture of Lido-cane(Nova Caine).There is usually a little root-that must be removed-or else there will always be a reoccurance-of this type of Cyst-Water on the Elbow.An X-ray is always perscribed-for this now.A Trans-gental-shot-having your arm flexed and shooting through the posterior-anterior-part of the elbow and a lateral x-ray of the elbow(Olectcranon -Process).This little piece of tissue-I kinda remember-should be removed.So there-fore-besides taking the fluid out-A Dermatologist-or Ortho-Ped-should be consulted for the cure.One thing I can tell you is that-some lidocaine hcl-has epinephrine added to keep the aesthetic lasting longer and also reduces bleeding.Some People react to this EPI-because of the added -Adrenalin-You can get pains in your heart-because of the constricted capillaries. It happens to me-so I'm passing this on to you.Yeah-the Doctors will say-"Your Body Makes Adrenalin"-they don't fell the pain-they don't know-they are only repeating what they have been taught-not what they have experienced.Get that little thing-removed-your problem will be gone-Semper FI-Hm3 Wilder.......Roger out.

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    Hello Dr Z and Doc Pyquijano 7-I have had experience with this very type of affliction-Usually there is an injection of a Steroid-and mixture of Lido-cane(Nova Caine).There is usually a little root-that must be removed-or else there will always be a reoccurance-of this type of Cyst-Water on the Elbow.An X-ray is always perscribed-for this now.A Trans-gental-shot-having your arm flexed and shooting through the posterior-anterior-part of the elbow and a lateral x-ray of the elbow(Olectcranon -Process).This little piece of tissue-I kinda remember-should be removed.So there-fore-besides taking the fluid out-A Dermatologist-or Ortho-Ped-should be consulted for the cure.One thing I can tell you is that-some lidocaine hcl-has epinephrine added to keep the aesthetic lasting longer and also reduces bleeding.Some People react to this EPI-because of the added -Adrenalin-You can get pains in your heart-because of the constricted capillaries. It happens to me-so I'm passing this on to you.Yeah-the Doctors will say-"Your Body Makes Adrenalin"-they don't fell the pain-they don't know-they are only repeating what they have been taught-not what they have experienced.Get that little thing-removed-your problem will be gone-Semper FI-Hm3 Wilder.......Roger out.
    ...................... Most Importantly-Tell the Doctor-You don't want EPINEPHRINE HCL-mixed with or LIDO-CAINE.You'll take it straight.

THAT'S Mixed with your LIDO-Caine------Sabe?(understand)

I have always believed MDs regurgitate whatever they were taught with no real understand about patient responsibility. I will do my best to CONVINCE (aka demand of )them that either a XRay or MRI is required. I need this fixed. Quality of life must be somewhere in their oath...lol. Thanks for your input Doc. Will let you both know what I learn. Semper Fi...and once again...to both of you....thank you for your service!

I have not had this-elbow problem-I have treated this in the Dispensary-at MWSG-17-in Danang Vietnam-I have had Bursitis-of both my shoulders-and have had the shots.....Say No-Epinephrine hcl-you will be safer--------God Bless

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    DrZ.- I am not a Doctor nor a Marine but the father of one. I have had a swollen bursa sac ( darned thing looked like a water balloon) on the elbow as a result of my practice of Judo on a couple of occasions. The website link that I have located for you is, I think , easy to understand. Now, as I type I was just recently informed that I have bursitis in my hips, making me a chicken without springs but...that is nether here nor there. Check out this link. Perhaps it will tell you what you already know but, then again?? All the best to you.
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...w/bursitis.htm
    Gary

I'm not sure-they will give you an MRI-before the X-Ray are obtained.Mri is very good for showing and locating these types of things-in feet.Having an MRI for this is a litteover the top;But I understand -You Want IT Gone------Yo SE(I understand).

I have not had this-elbow problem-I have treated this in the Dispensary-at MWSG-17-in Danang Vietnam-I have had Bursitis-of both my shoulders-and have had the shots.....Say No-Epinephrine hcl-you will be safer--------God Bless

Noted and will do Doc. Checked your profile... you left prior to my arrival to the garden spot of Vietnam...lol. Welcome home my brother. Job well done!

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary View Post
    DrZ.- I am not a Doctor nor a Marine but the father of one. I have had a swollen bursa sac ( darned thing looked like a water balloon) on the elbow as a result of my practice of Judo on a couple of occasions. The website link that I have located for you is, I think , easy to understand. Now, as I type I was just recently informed that I have bursitis in my hips, making me a chicken without springs but...that is nether here nor there. Check out this link. Perhaps it will tell you what you already know but, then again?? All the best to you.
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...w/bursitis.htm
    Gary
    Gary,
    I followed the link and at least better understand what is going on in there. LOL... I guess I should have studied medicine like Mom wanted as opposed to electronics. Thank you for the link. Being a Marine parent at times is tough in its own right!

Semper Fi and again, thank you.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess I should have studied medicine like Mom wanted as opposed to electronics.
    Did you ever see, The Bride of Frankenstein? You needed to be an electrician to get all the equipment to work. Being an electrician is good, especially when linked to science and medicine. Glad that you liked the link.
    Adios, for now.
    Gary

Thread Information