PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info about my dad.

dadsrunt
10-24-10, 09:27 PM
Hello all,
I am searching to find out abit more about my father who has been deceased now for 21 yrs. God rest his soul, I love and miss him dearly. He was in the marines, I haven't a clue as to what rank he was. He had a picture (b & w) of himself in uniform and I believe my brother has it, not really sure. Anyhow I was wondering if any of you older gentlemen out there have/had any pictures of him or knew what rank he held. I don't think he served for a long time either. His date of birth was 1929 so I'm thinking he was around 20ish or so. His name was Archie Thomas Strickland. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time.
Have a great day/night
Semper Fi

hbharrison
10-24-10, 09:35 PM
As is son you can contact the records center and get his records which will have a copy of his DD-214. Once you get that you can get more records of which units he may have served with.

EGA1957
10-24-10, 10:35 PM
Another source of (some) military info is to look at a genealogy site to help you find a SS Death (since you have a general birth year and a death year and even branch) records and also Census records (since they would give you access to the 1930 records when your dad would have been 1yo).

A SSN would help a DD-214 search and that might show up in the SS death record.

DanM
10-24-10, 10:42 PM
Needed information and contact info here.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

EGA1957
10-25-10, 12:18 AM
Another source of (some) military info is to look at a genealogy site to help you find a SS Death (since you have a general birth year and a death year and even branch) records and also Census records (since they would give you access to the 1930 records when your dad would have been 1yo).

A SSN would help a DD-214 search and that might show up in the SS death record.
A person with the mostly same name (no MI noted) as your father shows up on Ancestry.com with a 1/2/1929 birthday and died 10/17/1989 at St. Augustine, FL.

If that's your father, it also lists his SSN.