PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about mos.

lake9
10-14-10, 04:20 PM
I have read around the forums but i would rather get a more personal view on this question. I have been in the dep for about 4-5 months now waiting to get 03XX. Tomorrow i think our staff Sgt is going to talk to me and i have a good feeling he is going to try too pressure me into talking some other MOS i do not want. But unfortunately this is not an option for me. I have wanted to become Marine infantry since i was 6-7 years old. Now i just want to confirm i can decline any job offer he offers to me no matter what correct? are any other pooles going through the same thing, feel free to share your story or advice? I want to go down to Paris island and earn the title with all my heart! But i want to go down there with my dream Mos 03XX.

Rough Hands
10-14-10, 04:57 PM
I have read around the forums but i would rather get a more personal view on this question. I have been in the dep for about 4-5 months now waiting to get 03XX. Tomorrow i think our staff Sgt is going to talk to me and i have a good feeling he is going to try too pressure me into talking some other MOS i do not want. But unfortunately this is not an option for me. I have wanted to become Marine infantry since i was 6-7 years old. Now i just want to confirm i can decline any job offer he offers to me no matter what correct? are any other pooles going through the same thing, feel free to share your story or advice? I want to go down to Paris island and earn the title with all my heart! But i want to go down there with my dream Mos 03XX.

That's correct. You do not have to ship if you don't have the contract that you want. I held out for my CM (13XX/11XX) contract when they had me under the BAF contract. I told them I wouldn't go unless I had the contract that I wanted. Your recruiters might not like that very much, but go in there every day if you have to and ask them if any thing has opened up. That's what I did.

lake9
10-14-10, 05:28 PM
okay thank you!

lake9
10-14-10, 05:40 PM
they cant discharge me or anything right?

Nerd
10-14-10, 07:33 PM
No they can't discharge you or kick you out of the DEP. You have to opt for the job you want, Poolee!

DubGee
10-14-10, 07:54 PM
I was in the same boat as you, my friend. When my recruiter asked what I wanted to do in the Corps, I looked him in the eye and said Infantry. His reply? "Thats it?..." I said "...yep", of course with my 72 asvab he tryed persuading me to pick something else(Motor T, admin, etc), but I just laughed at him. Tell them that that is literally the only job you desire. Then, tell them youll DEP for a full 365 days if you have to(better be willing to wait. Suffer now, so you wont suffer later..).

1, Youll get a call soon when that contract "magically" appears.
2, youll be put on a list to where youll get the next contract that hits the system.

Call him once a week, twice, EVERYDAY, until you get that UH contract. This is what your going to do for the next 4-5 years. Bug him enough, and he'll get that contract so youll get off his back.

Also, DO NOT go open contract, in hopes of getting 03xx. It wont happen.

Edit: Want to really show him your good for it? Get your PT/IST scores up like crazy.

lake9
10-14-10, 08:02 PM
I was in the same boat as you, my friend. When my recruiter asked what I wanted to do in the Corps, I looked him in the eye and said Infantry. His reply? "Thats it?..." I said "...yep", of course with my 72 asvab he tryed persuading me to pick something else(Motor T, admin, etc), but I just laughed at him. Tell them that that is literally the only job you desire. Then, tell them youll DEP for a full 365 days if you have to(better be willing to wait. Suffer now, so you wont suffer later..).

1, Youll get a call soon when that contract "magically" appears.
2, youll be put on a list to where youll get the next contract that hits the system.

Call him once a week, twice, EVERYDAY, until you get that UH contract. This is what your going to do for the next 4-5 years. Bug him enough, and he'll get that contract so youll get off his back.

Also, DO NOT go open contract, in hopes of getting 03xx. It wont happen.

Edit: Want to really show him your good for it? Get your PT/IST scores up like crazy.

like yours :thumbup: lol
Thanks for the advice!

RBrouse
10-14-10, 10:14 PM
I was in the same boat when I was at meps he asked me what I wanted and I said infantry. But there wasn't a spot open and he was throing out what they had open and I was just saying no, then he offered combat support and I asked what that was and he said you'll be driving tanks I said "oh that sounds kind of cool" which in his mind means sign me up so right after that he took it and gave me my papers and said we cant get you infantry but this is the next best thing, and took a while to convince me so I eventually signed with it. I went back to my recruiter told him what happened and he tried to get me into the idea of combat support, after a week of this I just told him I am not going to ship if I'm not a grunt, four days later he called me in after PT and told me I had my 03xx contract

ADRobold
10-14-10, 10:34 PM
In my personal experience, if you work for your recruiter, he'll work for you. I never had to use any threats of not shipping although i understand sometimes it is needed. All i did was spend a lot of time at the office, helping out here and there, going to schools with him to help recruit, and basically showing extreme motivation and purpose. I worked hard to help him out, and he busted his butt to get me my CE contract.
The end result is that both recruiter and poolee are on good terms, and can work together well to assure a good, prepared future for the poolee.

lake9
10-14-10, 11:11 PM
I was in the same boat when I was at meps he asked me what I wanted and I said infantry. But there wasn't a spot open and he was throing out what they had open and I was just saying no, then he offered combat support and I asked what that was and he said you'll be driving tanks I said "oh that sounds kind of cool" which in his mind means sign me up so right after that he took it and gave me my papers and said we cant get you infantry but this is the next best thing, and took a while to convince me so I eventually signed with it. I went back to my recruiter told him what happened and he tried to get me into the idea of combat support, after a week of this I just told him I am not going to ship if I'm not a grunt, four days later he called me in after PT and told me I had my 03xx contract

good stuff