PDA

View Full Version : recruiter told me barely any MOS available? and I have an open contract

K4thomas
10-08-10, 06:30 AM
Hello Marines.

I had told my recruiter that I want an infantry MOS. He said there is none available, which is fine to me. I told him i want a combat support MOS, something like artillery, tanks, combat engineer, communications just any combat supporting MOS even a combat support contract ( is that what it is called? ) he said none are availble.

I have an open contract for Active Duty with a current ship date of 20110118

My recruiter told me a spot opened for december as infantry but in the reserves. He then said it would be easy to switch to active once stationed at my base and assigned a unit. He said I need to give him an answer ASAP.

I searched online and on this site but i just want to double check. Is switching from reserves to active easy or hard?
I read it was hard, you have to serve 6 months within the reserve unit then apply. After it's not even a garuntee,the reserves have to release you and active has to need you. This does not sound like an easy process to me, or even one that is garunteed.

Is it really true that none of these MOS are available? I mean I gave him a vast list specifying which I meant and then asked for just any combat support MOS. I cant find any reason that he would not be honest, so I do believe him it's just odd.

I wonder how long before any of these have an opening.
I asked for opeings within any of these fields and he said none
02xx
03xx
06xx
08xx
13xx
18xx
72xx
50xx
70xx
21xx

I told him I want to ship as soon as possible, but I'll wait if it means getting a job that I want. Also my contract was opne but when I look at it says I am in for 0600 MOS, what does this mean? I thought my recuiter told me it wasn't available?

Thanks for all your help Marines.

Assaultdog0351
10-08-10, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you got lied to. call a few different recruiting stations and ask how fast you can goto boot camp and you want to be infantry... Just don't tell them you're already talking to a different recruiter.

K4thomas
10-08-10, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the response Marine, although everyone is saying that infantry is unavailable at this time. It is alright as long as I get a combat support MOS. I will give calling around a try though but I believe there is only one more recruiting station here, I live in Hawaii.

Lisa 23
10-08-10, 07:35 AM
If active duty is what YOU want, then stick to your guns and get active duty, not reserves, even if it means having your shipdate changed. Going form reserves to active duty can take a very long time to happen.

K4thomas
10-09-10, 05:56 PM
Thank you ma'am, you and the other Marines have been helpful. I am glad I did not listen to him and sign right away I woud be very unhappy.

Assaultdog0351
10-09-10, 06:36 PM
Yes you would, just give it a little time.http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/07/15/blogs/atwar-afghan-poster/atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg