PDA

View Full Version : Not getting the MOS i want

Dueber
10-06-10, 04:54 PM
Hello Marines, i've been in the DEP program for 9 months and gotten to know my recruiters pretty well. In that time i have told them repeatedly that i want a 03xx contract which they respond that there are none available. My recruiter said just wait till the new jobs are posted at the beginning of October. So i've waited patiently and sure enough the new jobs are posted and he said that there is hardly any infantry available but he'll try to get me the 03xx contract. I'm set to ship in 12 days and I still haven't secured the MOS I want. Short of refusing to ship, what can I do? Thank you!

Enrique2010
10-06-10, 06:42 PM
You have to refuse to ship, or go open contract. Whats your MOS now? 03xx is actually hard to secure believe it or not. It wasn't available when I went through. As a matter of fact, hardly anything was available. I had a few guys in my platoon at bootcamp who went open contract, and got food service. So its up to you.
P.S. I was in the DEP 9 months. It sucked waiting so long. 1 month before i shipped with a "construction maintenance" a job opened up in Managerial Option and it had tons of options in it. Im now working in Aviation Supply which isn't too bad and it promotes more quickly then alot of other MOS's. Choose wisely.

indygti
10-06-10, 08:28 PM
Jesus, 3 out of your 4 DI's were GySgts?! How is that even possible?

Dueber
10-07-10, 12:30 AM
You have to refuse to ship, or go open contract. Whats your MOS now? 03xx is actually hard to secure believe it or not. It wasn't available when I went through. As a matter of fact, hardly anything was available. I had a few guys in my platoon at bootcamp who went open contract, and got food service. So its up to you.
P.S. I was in the DEP 9 months. It sucked waiting so long. 1 month before i shipped with a "construction maintenance" a job opened up in Managerial Option and it had tons of options in it. Im now working in Aviation Supply which isn't too bad and it promotes more quickly then alot of other MOS's. Choose wisely.

Thank You Enrique2010, what bugs me is I don't even have a MOS picked, when I go to the RS tomorrow hopefully they'll tell me if i got infantry or not. But as of right now I dont have a MOS at all, and I know better than to go in open contract so I may have to refuse to ship which sucks because I can't wait any longer it's killing me.

tdrt
10-07-10, 08:24 AM
Your choice. Either get used to a long wait or select another MOS and do a lateral move in a couple years.

Dueber
10-07-10, 04:38 PM
Ok thank you sir, i'm going to wait for my 03xx contract

ggyoung
10-07-10, 05:54 PM
You want to be a Marine? Go for broke go open.

Enrique2010
10-07-10, 06:19 PM
Jesus, 3 out of your 4 DI's were GySgts?! How is that even possible?

haha yes. Our senior, and drill hat were both Gunnys, and Gunny Marinelarena was a new drill instructor.

Deuber, dont go open. Im going to tell you like a wise man once told me. Get out of the Marine Corps what the Marine Corps gets out of you.

Backhaus 1103
10-07-10, 06:57 PM
You want to be a Marine? Go for broke go open.

Don't listen to him...that's fu*king retarded.

thezero
10-07-10, 08:16 PM
And a lot of the open contract guys I know got Crash Fire Rescue, cooks aren't a big MOS considering most of the chow halls are ran by civilians now days. Open Contract is like russian roullette. You can lat move after 2 years any ways.

viper1833
10-07-10, 08:19 PM
Going open is like sticking your dic$ in a nasty prostitute it may sound like a great idea at the time. But you will regret it when you end up with something you don't want. :D

Dueber
10-08-10, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the responses! I've decided to just take which ever job I get from my wish list; Infantry, Combat Support or Artillery and then just do a lateral move in 2 years, I can't handle waiting any longer.

Assaultdog0351
10-08-10, 07:25 AM
DONT BE STUPID, JUST WAIT... If you want to be a grunt it'll be worth the wait, you may end up hating your life behind a desk in some shop or pulling a string on a triple 7 with no idea of what's actually going on. wait wait wait

NoRemorse
10-08-10, 07:39 AM
Going open is like sticking your dic$ in a nasty prostitute it may sound like a great idea at the time. But you will regret it when you end up with something you don't want. :D

This should be stickied... uh, not in the way :D

Dueber
10-08-10, 01:22 PM
DONT BE STUPID, JUST WAIT... If you want to be a grunt it'll be worth the wait, you may end up hating your life behind a desk in some shop or pulling a string on a triple 7 with no idea of what's actually going on. wait wait wait

You're right, I was up all night thinking about what to do, but i'm wondering, since I can only be in the DEP program for one year what happens if an 03xx contract isn't available in the next 3 months?

Enrique2010
10-08-10, 07:33 PM
then you get discharged, and you have to re-sign. I would go with combat support. I mean, out of that 3, Im going to say, thats what will be available. My boy ended up getting tank crew member out of...

Marine84
10-08-10, 08:08 PM
I tossed them dice, went in open and ended up in Ordnance. I had a blast my 4 in the Corps!

viper1833
10-09-10, 09:41 AM
Nevermind

Assaultdog0351
10-09-10, 06:38 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/07/15/blogs/atwar-afghan-poster/atwar-afghan-poster-blogSpan.jpg

Assaultdog0351
10-09-10, 06:40 PM
That's what happens. if your recruiter really wants you to get that spot he'll find a way. And as for the year limit in the DEP, I'm no expert on the matter but there's always a way to fudge some paperwork, medical perhaps.

Dueber
10-09-10, 09:32 PM
Hmmm I don't know why he wouldn't try to get me the 03xx contract, I think he's just really busy, how much of a hassle is it for recruiters to get a specfic job for someone?

Assaultdog0351
10-10-10, 01:30 AM
His entire work life is supposed to be focused on recruiting, he can't be that busy. Also they have a quota they have to fulfill... they'll swear up and down they don't but they do my old Plt Sgt was a recruiter and told us about alot of stuff.

Old Marine
10-10-10, 10:39 AM
haha yes. Our senior, and drill hat were both Gunnys, and Gunny Marinelarena was a new drill instructor.

Deuber, dont go open. Im going to tell you like a wise man once told me. Get out of the Marine Corps what the Marine Corps gets out of you.

And it seems we have another BOOT SEA LAWYER passing out advise that he got off the third stool.:evilgrin:

Backhaus 1103
10-10-10, 10:54 AM
He may be a boot, but what he says is still true.