PDA

View Full Version : Contract/Breach in Contract Question

AlexJH
10-05-10, 12:03 AM
So, right now I'm fighting a battle to convince my parents that I will at least get the field I enlist in. I'm thinking of either Aviation maintenance or comms, so let's say I enlist as either 60XX...

josephd
10-05-10, 12:09 AM
I have never heard of the Corps "breaching" a contract as you call it, if you sign a contract for a particular MOS this is what you will do unless you end up failing out of MOS school at which point...

AlexJH
10-05-10, 12:18 AM
Meh, just what I've read.

And yes, that's what I figured, I get the field that I sign up for, thanks for clearing that up.

Backhaus 1103
10-05-10, 06:45 AM
Plus if you do fail your MOS school, I doubt you'll be placed as infantry seeing as that's all poolees want to be these days. You'll probably be put into an MOS that needs bodies, like cook or something.

usmc3521
10-05-10, 09:53 AM
what worries me is that you are still sucking on mommy's teet. Why they F*ck do you care what they think. This is your life and your career. You sound like the kids in boot camp who write home and...

Backhaus 1103
10-05-10, 10:03 AM
Haha couldn't have said it better myself.

AlexJH
10-05-10, 04:59 PM
Umm, not really, but thanks for b*tching me out for no reason. I'm 17, and they will not sign me over to the DEP unless I can prove these things to them. I come from a very liberal family. If I wait...

Backhaus 1103
10-05-10, 05:13 PM
I wear the sh!tbird badge with honor.
"Sir, E-3 in the Marine Corps is, Lance Skater, he does everything he can to get out of everything he can so he can go back to sleeping and playing video games during the work day sir"

Zulu 36
10-05-10, 05:18 PM
Umm, not really, but thanks for b*tching me out for no reason. I'm 17, and they will not sign me over to the DEP unless I can prove these things to them. I come from a very liberal family. If I wait until I'm 18 the chances of me getting the job I want goes down significantly, at least quota-wise for my recruiting station. If I had a choice, I never would have posted this thread.

I would gladly do grunt work, that's what attracted me to the Corps. But at the same time, after a dose of reality I realized it just wasn't for me, at least volunteering for it. I'm just concerned about signing up as aviation or comms and getting stuck as a cook basically, I just don't want to get screwed over because I don't want to end up as some bitter sh*tbird terminal lance after 4 years who hates everything and everyone.

You sign the contract you want, otherwise, don't sign.

BTW, you could go to comm school, pass, and still be sent to LAVs as a commo weanie.

viper1833
10-05-10, 05:27 PM
Nothing Wrong with being a Lance Corporal. Best part about that rank is your almost an NCO so your expected to start being a leader. However you can play I'm a dumb nonrate who dosn't have a clue whats going on, when you really do. Works both ways, and yes playing XBOX and skating out of dumbass police calls, and stupid crap is worth it. :D

Old Marine
10-05-10, 09:24 PM
Needs of the Corps Sonny, Needs of the Corps. <br />
<br />
Breach of contract. You cannot be serious. This must be a joke.:evilgrin:

yanacek
10-05-10, 09:55 PM
Don't be concerned over a breach of contract on the part of the Marine Corps. It rarely happens. I wrote a lot of contracts (about 5,000) for youngsters going into the DEP and shipping and I can only recall twice where the Marine Corps was in error. In both cases, it was an honest administrative error on my part (I was the MEPS Liaison for many years). In one case the Marine Corps gave the applicant a better job which he was thrilled with. In the other case the young man only wanted one job and he was not qualified due to color blindness. Nothing could be done. Sadly, we let him out of his contract by discharging him by reason of erroneous enlistment.

AlexJH
10-06-10, 12:39 AM
Don't be concerned over a breach of contract on the part of the Marine Corps. It rarely happens. I wrote a lot of contracts (about 5,000) for youngsters going into the DEP and shipping and I can only recall twice where the Marine Corps was in error. In both cases, it was an honest administrative error on my part (I was the MEPS Liaison for many years). In one case the Marine Corps gave the applicant a better job which he was thrilled with. In the other case the young man only wanted one job and he was not qualified due to color blindness. Nothing could be done. Sadly, we let him out of his contract by discharging him by reason of erroneous enlistment.

Thank you for the response!

I honestly DO NOT CARE if I get sent into the sh*t if something goes wrong. I'm not going to volunteer for the grunt work, but you can bet your a$$ that I'll do it with a smile on my face if that's where I'm sent. I'm trying to get a job that could help me after I get out of the service, is that such a bad thing? That and honestly my parents will not let me DEP in at 17 if I cannot provide solid evidence that I will get what field I enlist as(or the other 2 wishlist ones if my first choice is unavailable) Doing patrols and getting shot at on a daily basis is simply not my first choice of jobs, it's what attracted me to the Marine Corps, but my ideas about what I want to do in the Corps have changed dramatically with a bit of reality setting in. I'm sorry if my choice of words have been poor and I haven't been able to convey what I'm thinking correctly.

I'm just trying to ensure that I get the field I sign up for. Anything that happens later on like me failing out of MOS school, or the needs of the Corps is a concept that I totally understand. I'm not going to lie, a part of me kind of wants to sign comms and gamble with having to be an infantry RTO or not. But the rational part says go aviation and have a better standard of living and don't get blown up.