PDA

View Full Version : I plan to talk a recruiter in the next few weeks, just need some last minute answers

Tj3119
10-01-10, 12:11 PM
I plan to talk to a recruiter around the second week of october, so about 2 more weeks from today. I'm waiting till october so I have a better chance at getting the MOS i want because I know that the fiscal year starts today october 1st and that's when they get all the new MOS slots. And to lose a little more weight before I go.

Back in February (2010) I was 5'8 and 265 pounds, Now, today I'm 5'8 - 5'9 and weigh about 194 pounds so I have lost about 70 pounds so far. I'm going to get down to 160 pounds by this Christmas the latest. I lost the weight to really join the Marines to get into shape and get healthy. Anyways I know the weight standard for my height is 187 pounds and I know that 7 pounds over the weight limit is no biggie, but my main question is about my body fat which should be at 18%. I did the tape test (waist-neck=BF) which was at 25, although I know I'm about anywhere from 22-23% with a digital scale that I have, but since the Marines do the tape test then that's what I will do. So my main question is will a Marine Recruiter even talk to me? Will I be able to go to MEPS? Will i be able to even enlist?

I'm in college right now and will graduate this spring semester in May 2011, with an ASS degree so I wont be able to ship out to Boot camp till June anyways. Since the recruiter will know that I have months before I ship out will they just give me a waiver at MEPS for my weight and body fat and just put me in the DEP?

I just want to enlist and get it set in stone already, I wanted to enlist in the Marines ever since i was a freshmen in High school back in 08 and really ever since I was a kid. I just don't want to be told come back in another month or so I just want to get this taken care of already. I hope that the recruiter will see that I'm serious about enlisting seeing that I lost about 70 pounds and plan to get down to 160 lbs, so hopefully he works with me and I can pass MEPS.

As for the IST I know the requirements are 2 pull ups, 35 sit-ups in 2 mins, and 1.5 miles run in 13:30, I have no problem with the pull ups or sit ups, but on a treadmill I run 1.5 miles in 15 mins. But seeing that it's the first test given to just even get into the Marines and enlist I'm sure i'll run it in 13 mins or less. (If all goes well and I do enlist in the next few weeks, before I ship out to Boot camp I plan to be doing a first class PFT)

Sorry if it's a little long

Thanks in advance for the help.

LoveOfCountry
10-01-10, 03:47 PM
Stop everything you are doing, and start running every day. 15 minutes for a 1.5 mile is terrible.

As you drop weight, you'll be able to complete more pull-ups and crunches.

Being able to do these minimum requirements is more important than your weight. They will ship you overweight, but not if you can't do the minimum requirements.

Once you get to boot camp, your drill instructors will take care of any extra fat. You'll hate life for 3 months going in as a "fat body," but you'll come out of boot camp skinny as long as you put out.

Congrats on dropping the weight so far. Keep up the work. Make it hurt now.