PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Reserves

dehight
09-30-10, 11:47 AM
Hey all,

This is my first post and I'm posting to clear up some questions about the Marine Corps Reserves. I've visited a recruiter but they weren't that helpful and the web doesn't seem to answer my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Does the Reserves have Intel jobs (any 02xx MOS)?

2) My closest unit is strictly infantry (riflemen, mortarmen, machine gunner, etc). I'm not looking to do this though (would love to do intel or anything with foreign languages, esp Arabic).

3) How does joining a Reserve unit go in regards to your location and the units location? Do you have to join the closest to your home?

My ultimate goal is to work in the Intelligence Community in the civilian world but I want to serve my country and I want to serve with the best.

Sorry if these questions are stupid or if I sound completely ignorant about this (tbh I am). Any help is great.

Thanks.

Duane

LoveOfCountry
09-30-10, 03:28 PM
1) Yes, I'm an 0231 reservist. It is not easy to find, but the openings do exist.

2) You do not need to be close to your unit. We have several people in my reserve unit that are from out of state. Some are more than 6 hours away.

3) No, you do not have to join closest to your home. I know people in Georgia that travel to Florida for their drill. I also know people in TN, NC and AL that travel to Georgia for their drill.

What state do you live in? I can get the intel unit locations for you.

dehight
10-01-10, 01:05 AM
Thanks for you help. I live just south of Memphis, TN, in Mississippi. Like I said the unit here in Memphis is grunts. I believe I've seen a unit in Jackson, MS which is 3 hours south of me, that does counter-terrorism. Anyone know what all that includes? Any further help would be great.

Lisa 23
10-01-10, 06:56 AM
I can't help you with your questions, but how about filling out a basic profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to.
And you may also want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

indygti
10-01-10, 07:00 AM
I know who I'm talking to, wanabe poolee knucklenuts.

LoveOfCountry
10-01-10, 08:29 AM
@dehight, Counter Terrorism is what everyone in the Marine Corps does ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
10-01-10, 11:52 PM
Closed. No profile, no answers.