PDA

View Full Version : How to get a Bachelor's degree while enlisted

bnadio
09-30-10, 08:00 AM
I am currently Enlisted waiting to go to boot camp. I am interested in becoming a Officer after becoming a Marine. But, I don't have a Bachelor's degree. How would i go about being Enlisted and working toward a Bachelor's degree at the same time?

UMDStudent24
09-30-10, 10:02 AM
It is hard to do. It isn't impossible, but it will probably take longer than you're anticipating. Don't count on being able to take classes the entire time you're in the Marine Corps. There will be times, aside from deployments, where you won't have the time to take classes.

Backhaus 1103
09-30-10, 10:47 AM
It really depends on your mos and what kind of unit your in. I think it could happen if you were admin and worked at IPAC with a normal schedule and no deployments. On the other hand, if you want to be infantry, there's no way in hell you could do it. Between going to the field, getting off work at different times and just enjoying the little free time you have, I don't think it's going to happen.
Unless you want to wake up, pt, go to work and do whatever, get off, then go to school and then sleep...and repeat. I wouldn't want to do that.

tdrt
09-30-10, 12:18 PM
On-line classes provided schedule allows and no deployments

LoveOfCountry
09-30-10, 03:24 PM
Online classes are your best bet. Check out American Military University (AMU). It will be a lot of work, but it is very possible.

03Mike
10-01-10, 02:33 PM
As has been said above, earning your college degree while on active duty is possible, and I have to echo the Marine above me that AMU is a great choice for when you are on active duty.

That being said, let's bring things back down to Earth. If you are enlisting so that you can go to college, well, you're making a mistake. Enlist to serve and to be a Marine - not for any other reason.

Going to college on active duty is possible, and I encourage Marines to do it. However, figure that the first two years of your initial enlistment should be dedicated to learning your MOS. Simply graduating from your MOS school isn't enough - there's a boatload of "OJT" that is part of it. If a PFC were to come to me with less than a year in the fleet looking to get a TA form signed, I'd send you away.

Once you get your MOS down pat and truly have time to study college classes (rather than studying your MOS - and yes, you should be expected to do some studying for your MOS when you get to the fleet), there is a great support structure on base for selecting a school and even for attending class. Some classes are held on base on a regular schedule (if you have duty, deploy, or are in the field, well, you're going to miss class), and some, like AMU, are done online. Most of the online courses are pretty flexible - and AMU in particular will work with you if you have OPTEMPO concerns and conflicts.

Good luck!

Supersquishy
10-01-10, 03:13 PM
THe easiest way to Enlist and get a college degree is to have the degree first before Enlisting.

bnadio
10-05-10, 04:54 PM
Well I want to become a marine officer and make a career as an officer. The best way seems to be an online degree. Ok, I currently have a contract for logistics. What mos would give me the most amount of time to work on getting a bachelor's degree?

UMDStudent24
10-07-10, 12:46 AM
Well I want to become a marine officer and make a career as an officer. The best way seems to be an online degree. Ok, I currently have a contract for logistics. What mos would give me the most amount of time to work on getting a bachelor's degree?

If you want to be an Officer, focus on going to college.

If you want to be a Marine, focus on becoming a Marine.

If you enlist for the purpose of going to college as a step to becoming a Marine Officer, I'm betting you're going to have a much longer and more difficult journey than necessary. You're already searching for an MOS that will allow you to have time to take classes. Suppose the potential MOS options that could allow for time to take classes are jobs that you would hate. Are you going to endure, AT THE VERY LEAST, 4 years of that? You're, what, 18 years old? You don't know if you're going to want to be a Marine Officer in 4 years.

Look, if you want to enlist now; do it. However, do it because you want to be a Marine. If you do it because you want to use it as a stepping stone, you're probably going to resent your decision when things don't go your way. When that happens, you'll place undue stress on the Marines around you when you start slacking off and going through the motions. The Marines you'll work with will count on you to be, like them, motivated and disciplined. When you fail to maintain the motivation, you're going to become a burden on your unit and your men.

Do yourself a favor, and decide what your ultimate goal is, and what is truly the most efficient route to get there. Don't worry about the most glamorous or respected route. Do what is efficient, and you'll end up where you want to in a relatively short amount of time.

Good luck.

josephd
10-07-10, 01:48 AM
If you want to be an Officer, focus on going to college.

If you want to be a Marine, focus on becoming a Marine.

If you enlist for the purpose of going to college as a step to becoming a Marine Officer, I'm betting you're going to have a much longer and more difficult journey than necessary. You're already searching for an MOS that will allow you to have time to take classes. Suppose the potential MOS options that could allow for time to take classes are jobs that you would hate. Are you going to endure, AT THE VERY LEAST, 4 years of that? You're, what, 18 years old? You don't know if you're going to want to be a Marine Officer in 4 years.

Look, if you want to enlist now; do it. However, do it because you want to be a Marine. If you do it because you want to use it as a stepping stone, you're probably going to resent your decision when things don't go your way. When that happens, you'll place undue stress on the Marines around you when you start slacking off and going through the motions. The Marines you'll work with will count on you to be, like them, motivated and disciplined. When you fail to maintain the motivation, you're going to become a burden on your unit and your men.

Do yourself a favor, and decide what your ultimate goal is, and what is truly the most efficient route to get there. Don't worry about the most glamorous or respected route. Do what is efficient, and you'll end up where you want to in a relatively short amount of time.

Good luck.

well said sir