PDA

View Full Version : Women Marines: Managing hair during boot camp?

marymorales
09-20-10, 09:14 AM
A few of the female poolees at RSS Bakersfield East (and myself) have been wondering how we are to manage our hair during boot camp. We have been advised to learn such styling methods as the sock bun, but like most styles that keep hair neat, fasteners such as bobby pins are necessary. Reading regulations, we've found that these pins must not be visible, which is problematic for girls with bangs who can't grow them out fast enough for boot camp (pinning the bangs out of the face leaves you with pins right on top of your head, clearly visible). Also, I doubt we can bring hair products and styling tools with us, yet I doubt we will be issued bobby pins and hairspray at Parris Island. Are regulations really so strict that we cannot have any flyaways, and if so, how are we to remedy that if we don't have hair products? We all know that time is precious at boot camp, so we don't want to waste it fumbling with our hair, and would like to prepare ourselves beforehand. The sock bun is surprisingly difficult for me and took too long when I first tried, but with practice it goes faster and gets a lot neater. We figured proficiency in regulation hairstyling would relieve at least a few moments of stress during boot camp, so we're working on that now, just as we PT and study knowledge.

Obviously this question is for Women Marines who know what recent standards are like, and how to satisfy those standards.

Thank you so much for your time,
Mary

Lisa 23
09-20-10, 10:15 AM
Yes, regulations are that strict, and I don't remember anyone from my platoon needing bobby pins for their hair, and there were plenty with long hair and bangs. No hair products for your hair besides shampoo.
Your Drill Instructors will teach you how to keep your hair up, and if I remember correctly, there is a class on it.

Check this thread it, it may be helpful to you.

Female Marine Advice Needed(ASAP PLEASE)
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92068&page=5

marymorales
09-20-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks so much, that's a big help to us :)

Artemis
09-20-10, 10:44 AM
It's been a little longer for WMarine than it has been since I went through boot. There was gel available for the recruits that needed it. Another option is cornrows if you are up to it, or why not just get it chopped off then its one less thing to worry about and after all it is only hair and it will grow back. You will also have a chance or two to get to the hair cutting place while you are there but that is done on your own time on sunday mornings.

Lisa 23
09-20-10, 10:57 AM
Thanks CPL Nelly...:thumbup: I guess some things have changed...lol!
I didn't have to worry about anything like that, my hair was already short, so managing my hair was very easy.

Artemis
09-20-10, 11:05 AM
I chopped mine all off just to simplify things because you still dont get many opportunities to wash it as much as you should so a lot of the girls with long hair had issues with it falling out because of poor hair care.

Lisa 23
09-20-10, 11:23 AM
Somehow for 3 months, I managed to be one of the first ones in the shower so I had enough time to shower really good! Then on Sundays when we had free time and you were allowed to shower on your own, I made sure it was a nice long one, and got squeaky clean. Not too many recruits back then took advantage of that opportunity to take showers on your own during free time on Sundays.
Oh well, maybe that has changed also.

marymorales
09-20-10, 11:24 AM
I was thinking of cutting it short, but my hair tends to frizz out and go all over the place. The only thing discouraging me from cutting it is that I hate it getting in my face when I run.

Lisa 23
09-20-10, 11:29 AM
If you do decide to get it cut short, have them thin it out for you, and short enough that it won't be in your face. Believe me, it'll be a lot easier on you managing short hair than long hair.

Artemis
09-20-10, 12:00 PM
If it is short it also gives the D.I.'s one less thing to screw with you about.

tdrt
09-20-10, 04:57 PM
Agreed. As much as I hated to, I cut my hair short so I didn't have to worry about the upkeep or flyaways Obviously not going for a fashion statement but convenience.