PDA

View Full Version : Pre Bootcamp PT question.

ccg83
08-30-10, 10:58 AM
Hello Marines,

This is my first post however I have been reading posts on this site for about a month now. I hope that my profile has been filled out correctly as requested.

I have been gathering information on the Armed Services for quite a while and most specifically the Marine Corps. I met with a recruiter this past friday who answered a lot of my questions. He was able to answer all but one of my bootcamp questions, I also did a search on the site to see if perhaps my question had already been answered but was unable to find it, my apologies if I missed something.

How much do the back packs that you wear during marches and hikes weigh?

I'm asking not to complain about them or anything of that nature, I am looking to incorporate that into my pre-bootcamp training so that I am used to it before leaving (as much as one can become used to something of that nature). At this point I do not qualify for the weight standard and I have a good amount of it to lose. I am determined to accomplish my goal however and lose the weight to gain acceptance.

I was instructed to work on my Cardio and Endurance while focusing on the upper body strength. I can do the required number of sit-ups but I will admit that I need work on my pull-ups and push-ups as well as my 1.5 and 3 mile runs. I am currently 27 years old and was told that I must be enrolled in bootcamp by my 29th birthday which would be March 2012. It's my goal to be up to PFT standards by the summer of 2011.

I have also started studying for the ASVAB now so that I will be that much more prepared due to the fact that I am looking at the 02xx MOS field and need AT LEAST 100 on my GT score preferably 110 and of course the nail bitting pressure of the Security Clearance Investigation. I purchased the Rosetta Stone in order to teach myself some of the most sought after languages as well.

That is a little background on my goals for the year, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't crying about the possible weight of the bags lol Ideally I'd like to empty my backpack, toss some weights in it to simulate the actual size and get started. If anyone has any tips on how to improve my speed as well as my quantity of pull-ups and sit-ups I am all ears, I would imagine that as the weight drops it may become some what easier by default, the more I can do at my current weight will only be multiplied as my body weight drops to standard requirements.

Backhaus 1103
08-30-10, 06:28 PM
I couldn't tell you how much it weighed, but don't hike dead weight. Just put random clothes, socks, a blanket and a sleeping bag in that b*tch beacuse that's what you'll be hiking...just fill it up with random stuff.
Bootcamp hikes are easy, soi ones are the ones that suck.

If it were me I wouldn't hike before you join, you'll get more than enough of it in your next 4+ years in the marine corps.

josephd
08-30-10, 07:41 PM
like backhaus said I wouldn't suggest going hiking with a heavy pack on just to train for boot camp. My suggestion would be to just throw a backpack on with a camelpack/water bladder and some random clothing or other items and go for a light hike with that.

The packs at boot camp probably weigh in at right around 40-50lbs I'd say and than at SOI that will jump up to around 70lbs or so. Hiking with that kind of weight on your back is good training/conditioning it is also straight body thrashing and isn't that good for you.

If you wanna be in shape and be a PT stud at boot camp, start running, doing pull ups, crunches, pushups, lifting weights, high speed conditioning, etc....

SlingerDun
08-30-10, 08:18 PM
, I would imagine that as the weight drops it may become some what easier by defaultYes thats true, amazing how that works.

My views about what to stuff into a rucksack are from decades of being an outback guy. About the only random item i might add is a lofty down vest to make the pack more comfortable when i want to lay back and eat a banana. Other than that, it pains me not to load usefull stuff. I guess that would include a down vest, it could be usefull if i need to sleep on the ground waiting for dawn on a new moon, or the fog to clear.

If you want to hump dead weight, do it to your arms. It's awkward and can be hard to get a comfortable handle on stones, thats a good thing. Carry a couple stones until you just cant stand it anymore, then wait a few more seconds and leave them behind.