PDA

View Full Version : Welcome home veterans

awbrown1462
08-26-10, 01:55 PM
From the News-Enterprize Elizabethtown, KY

Guest editorial by Dave Jarrett
As many of you are aware there has been a change in the format of this year’s Kentucky Heartland Festival. Rather than it just being an event for Elizabethtown with a parade on Saturday, it has been expanded both in number of days and participants. This year’s festival involves the Chambers of Commerce of Elizabethtown, Radcliff, Vine Grove, and West Point as well as the Fort Knox Public Affairs office. The expansion ensures all of Hardin County is involved in this year’s theme – “Thank You from The Heartland – A Salute to Vietnam Veterans.” A schedule of events is at www.salutetovietnamveterans.com.
Some may say, isn’t it a bit late to welcome home Vietnam veterans? I would reply that it is never too late to show our gratitude for service and sacrifices of our veterans, but in the case of Vietnam vets it is long overdue. To say the Vietnam War was an unpopular war is an understatement. television coverage focused on those protesting the war and often included some of the gruesome details of the fighting including the number of American personnel who were killed in action. Vietnam vets served in a war that did not have public support and one where those in Washington set parameters and restrictions that many times put our troops in harm’s way. Most Vietnam veterans were not welcomed home with open arms and many arrived home to chants of anti-war protesters. Fortunately times have changed and Hardin County residents get a chance to show gratitude and support for our Vietnam vets during the Kentucky Heartland Festival.
A lot of hard work and planning has taken place to ensure this is a meaningful event. Many corporate sponsors have made significant donations. Specific events scheduled for Vietnam vets commence on Thursday morning at 9:15 a.m. at the General George S. Patton Museum on Fort Knox. Buses will transport the Vietnam vets to Brooks Parade Field for a recognition service at 10 a.m. Dependents are encouraged to attend as well. The moving replica of the Vietnam Wall also will be positioned at Keyes Park just behind the Patton Museum on Wednesday afternoon and remain through Sunday.
Everyone is welcome to attend as many of the events and veteran recognitions listed on the Web site and scheduled for Thursday in Vine Grove and Friday in West Point and Radcliff.
Vietnam vets are encouraged to participate in Saturday’s Heartland parade in Elizabethtown. They may walk or ride just behind the Grand Marshal, Adrian Cronauer, who is a Vietnam vet and the disc jockey portrayed by Robin Williams in the movie, “Good Morning Vietnam.” Vietnam vets should gather in the parking lot by the Elizabethtown Chamber of Commerce by 9:30 a.m. as the parade starts at 10 a.m.
For those Vietnam veterans in the parade, transportation is being arranged to take you from Rose’s Shopping Center parking lot where the parade ends to a recognition celebration at the Camp Saigon tent near the boathouse at Freeman Lake. All Vietnam vets will be recognized in a ceremony commencing at approximately 1 p.m. Vietnam veterans who attend this event will be presented with a patch and coin to commemorate their service in Vietnam. On Aug. 29 at Camp Saigon there will be prayer service commencing at 7:30 a.m. The service will be led by a fellow Vietnam veteran, the Rev. Kent Litchfield of Holy Apostles Church. Following the service a breakfast compliments of the Elizabethtown Ministerial Association will be served. The public is welcome.
I would encourage all Vietnam vets to attend this Welcome Home event. It is you and your service that is being acknowledged by our community and its leaders. If you still can fit into your Vietnam uniform or have a replacement uniform similar to what you wore in Vietnam please wear it for these events. If you have access to unit flags from Vietnam or wish to participate in the event as a unit, you are welcome to set up a small tent outside the main tent to display your unit colors and perhaps meet with fellow Vietnam vets you served with. Contact the chamber at (270) 765-4334 or John Thompsett, Coordinator of Veteran Events, at (270) 735-2057 to make the necessary arrangements.
In closing, I’d like to cover a few administrative details. Vietnam vets who have access to a computer should register on the event Web site listed above. Complementary parking passes will be e-mailed to Vietnam veterans to use on Saturday at Freeman Lake. If you are unable to print the pass, they may be picked up at the chamber office in Elizabethtown starting Wednesday, Aug. 25. Transportation is needed for veterans who need to ride in the parade and to transport veterans to Freeman Lake following the parade. Please call the Chamber you can assist. Volunteer Parking Attendants are desperately needed for traffic entering Freeman Lake Park. Please contact Eric Brandenburg at 270-300-6161 or at ebranden
burg@ffsbky.com to volunteer.
Enjoy as many of the events as you can. Let’s make this Welcome Home to Our Vietnam Vets an event to remember. A special thank you to veterans and active duty personnel for your service to our nation. God Bless America and our troops. Dave Jarrett is a Veteran Service Officer for the Disabled American Veterans and a Vietnam Veteran.

GT6238
08-26-10, 03:40 PM
Look, I got back to the world in 1971 and the only welcome home I gave a sh/t about was from my family, my friends and especially, my girl. As far as I'm concerned, this is ridiculously overdue and I wouldn't give it the time of day. So, pizz off.

awbrown1462
08-26-10, 03:44 PM
GT I sure hope you were not telling me to pizz off I just posted it and your respones was the same as most of my friends at work and I belive it is long over due and long to late

GT6238
08-26-10, 04:44 PM
No...not you....that's what I'd say to the people on this event....hope you aren't offended, but it's just that I'm way, way past thinking I need a welcome home....

DanM
08-26-10, 06:25 PM
Did anyone attend the LZ Lambeau event last May? Seems there wasn't much press after the event.

hbharrison
08-26-10, 06:31 PM
Far as I am concerned sounds great it is a little late and I do know some Viet Nam Vets do not give a rats banana. That being said let them do it for those who do care we never got anything other than told to go to H*ll so anything someone does or says to say Welcome Home is a good thing and thanks for the post.

awbrown1462
08-26-10, 06:40 PM
I do want to go see the mini wall though

DocGreek
08-26-10, 06:51 PM
:evilgrin:....Why are "people" dragging this crap out of the closet....AGAIN? NO combat Vet wants to keep being reminded of the GD war! Exactly WHAT purpose does this type of celebration have? I think it's all "GUILT RELIEF", for those who WOULDN'T serve......EH?......:evilgrin:

GT6238
08-27-10, 09:17 AM
You got that, Doc.

Wyoming
08-27-10, 10:38 AM
I wanna go to a reunion of the draft dodging, hippie-assed, long haired war heros that fled to Canada.:evilgrin:

gkmoz
08-27-10, 01:19 PM
I wanna go to a reunion of the draft dodging, hippie-assed, long haired war heros that fled to Canada.:evilgrin:
Me Too Me Too Me Too !!! " Patriots " Yeah ! Remember the news people calling them patriots for leaving the country for their stand against the war !:evilgrin: And let us NEVER forget Hanoi Jane ! :evilgrin: I forgive her ! But will never forget !

Lynn2
08-27-10, 02:12 PM

It took a little guts to pull up stakes and go to Canada. But if you believe a war is wrong-----and brother VN was wrong----then I have no problem with people that do what they have to do.

But what about those gutless flag waving supporters that did their best not to go?

What about 5 deferment Cheney? Or the boys that pulled strings to get in the guard?

Or those in uniform that got orders to VN and then dropped a big radio on their foot to get out of those orders?

Or those in uniform that shipped over just to get a safer mos or to avoid VN altogether?

There were some of of us that did everything we could to get in the fight.

And then there were those that sat on the side lines glad the Corps or the Army or the Navy had not found them. And while they sat safe and sound while their brothers died they did nothing to make sure they could come and lend a hand. Just pig crap happy to have been over looked.

Fock those flag waving cowards.

"NON combat,Viet Nam era spent 19 months inCa."----must have been nice.

Wyoming
08-27-10, 04:16 PM
It took a little guts to pull up stakes and go to Canada. But if you believe a war is wrong-----and brother VN was wrong----then I have no problem with people that do what they have to do.

Bull****, bull****, bull****!!!

m14ed
08-27-10, 05:13 PM
It took a little guts to pull up stakes and go to Canada. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

And then there were those that sat on the side lines glad the Corps or the Army or the Navy had not found them. And while they sat safe and sound while their brothers died they did nothing to make sure they could come and lend a hand. Just pig crap happy to have been over looked.

Fock those flag waving cowards.

"NON combat,Viet Nam era spent 19 months inCa."----must have been nice.

K>I>S>S> =keep it simple stupid The list for Dodgers and Duckers is never ending

OLE SARG
08-27-10, 06:41 PM
IF the dog had not stopped to take a sh it, he would have caught the rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I concur with Big Al on this one B U L L S H I T!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Lynn2
08-28-10, 07:29 AM
IF the dog had not stopped to take a sh it, he would have caught the rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I concur with Big Al on this one B U L L S H I T!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

They were nothing but gutless flag waving cowards. Content to sit on the side lines, doing nothing to make sure they got to VN, while their brothers died by the truck loads.

Flag waving scum IMO

Mongoose
08-30-10, 05:35 PM
Lynn, my best friend in high school did not want to be in the military. Little lone V.N. HE did his best to not get drafted. Crossed state line got married illegally. They got caught.His marriage was annuled. Then he got married legally. He got drafted anyway. He went on and served with eleventh armored calvary. He got bronze star with combat V and 2 purple hearts. He also got killed. But he did his duty. Do I feel for those who ran? Yes! I feel they should have been treated like the enemy. The only thing worse would be running in combat. I wonder what they told thier kids?

hbharrison
08-30-10, 06:27 PM
I had some of my school chum left for the north border back in the mid 60's some have come home now do not want anything to do with them. They made a choice and as far as I am concerned it was a bad choice.

DocGreek
08-30-10, 10:59 PM
:evilgrin:....Gentlemen, some of US volunteered, and some of US have volunteered for Granada, Panama, Iraq, Asskrackistan, and ANYTHING else that needs volunteers!!!
"WE" volunteered to be Doc's, and some of US volunteered for F.M.F. Duty.
I'll GO tomorrow if called.....PERIOD!
SEMPER FI......Doc Greek......:flag:

Lynn2
08-31-10, 07:42 AM
"The only thing worse would be running in combat. I wonder what they told thier kids?"

Well Billy I know what I told mine. We ran like he/ll. We ran hard and we ran often. We ran like there were lots of bad guys chasing us.

Stand and fight? Not when we could run.

Just seemed like the sensible thing at the time. Seems even more sensible today looking back on it.

vipere6
08-31-10, 09:15 AM
"GET SOME" There BigAL.

Simper Fi

Mongoose
09-01-10, 07:41 AM
Lynn, I understand what your saying. There was times when I wished there had been an off ramp some where. However, we went looking for them. Our job was to engage the gooks. Hunt them down and kill them. Wouldnt make much sense to search for them, find them, then run away. Im not saying we didnt have to pull back sometimes and regroup. What I was talking about was being in a fire fight, and some Marine saying enough of this shet, and running away leaving his brother Marines to seek safety.

Lynn2
09-01-10, 08:29 AM
Lynn, I understand what your saying. There was times when I wished there had been an off ramp some where. However, we went looking for them. Our job was to engage the gooks. Hunt them down and kill them. Wouldnt make much sense to search for them, find them, then run away. Im not saying we didnt have to pull back sometimes and regroup. What I was talking about was being in a fire fight, and some Marine saying enough of this shet, and running away leaving his brother Marines to seek safety.

Billy I was somewhat pulling your leg with my comments. Not that we did not run when we could. We certainly did.

But your main mission(s) and our main mission(s) were clearly not the same.

Nor were our numbers.

Mongoose
09-01-10, 09:30 AM
I started to put that in. I reailize you were with recon. With a different task. Small units had to react differently. I truly honer the men that served in our Recon teams. They saved a lot of Marines lives.

Lynn2
09-01-10, 09:34 AM
".....our Recon teams. They saved a lot of Marines lives."

Thanks Billy I would like to think we did.

But in fact many times we just found the meat grinder for them.

riceke
09-01-10, 11:59 AM
:evilgrin:....Why are "people" dragging this crap out of the closet....AGAIN? NO combat Vet wants to keep being reminded of the GD war! Exactly WHAT purpose does this type of celebration have? I think it's all "GUILT RELIEF", for those who WOULDN'T serve......EH?......:evilgrin:
It's taken me nearly 42 years in trying to forget it....I wouldn't want to re-remember it. Too many bad memories.

Lynn2
09-01-10, 12:06 PM
It's taken me nearly 42 years in trying to forget it....I wouldn't want to re-remember it. Too many bad memories.

Life is full of bad memories.

But when I read of a winger who does not list VN as a duty station I do wonder exactly what bad memories he refers to.

Wyoming
09-01-10, 01:33 PM

But when I read of a winger who does not list VN as a duty station I do wonder exactly what bad memories he refers to.

Is that a slap against Wingers?

Methinks there are one or two on this site that appreciated the Wingers assistance.

Lynn2
09-01-10, 01:41 PM
Is that a slap against Wingers?

Methinks there are one or two on this site that appreciated the Wingers assistance.

I was a Reconner. That should say all you need to know about how and what I think of the wing that served in VN.

My question had to do with bad memories. On a Vietnam thread. When the profile mentions lots of stuff-----except for Vietnam.

Wyoming
09-01-10, 01:49 PM
I was a Reconner. That should say all you need to know about how and what I think of the wing that served in VN.

My question had to do with bad memories. On a Vietnam thread. When the profile mentions lots of stuff-----except for Vietnam.

Glad you served, but you were not a Reconner. You were a Corpsman.

Sorry the Wingers left such a bad taste in your mouth.

... and your comment about 'profile mentions lots of stuff----except or Vietnam'. That ain't the way I read the profile.

<DT class=shade>
<DT class=shade>Wars and conflicts you were in involved in? - Vietnam <DT class=shade>Combat History - Vietnam <DT class=shade>

</DT>

Lynn2
09-01-10, 02:18 PM
Yes that is why I asked the question. No mention of VN as a duty station. Although he mentions VN within his combat history. Asking for clarification is not the same as attacking someone.

"Glad you served, but you were not a Reconner. You were a Corpsman.

Sorry the Wingers left such a bad taste in your mouth."

The 2nd statement is about as clueless as they come. Someone would have to be dumber than dirt to read my comments and think I was attacking the wing.

The wing was the reconners life line. I am alive today because of the wing.

As far as the first? I had nearly 60 long range recon patrols. Some with as few as 4 people on them. 2 people in one instance.

If you want to suggest that does not qualify as a reconner you are more than welcome to your opinion.

Not one that would be shared by any USMC reconner-----but you are more than welcome to your view. :-)

Wyoming
09-01-10, 02:40 PM
Yep, I must be clueless and dumber that dirt, cause that is the way I read it.

Unlike a lot of folks, I re-read my posts and try to understand then in the eyes of others.

I sat in the left seat on many check rides. The drivers would let some of us have the controls at times. This did not make me a Pilot.

I'd have to go check, but I believe I went on a few more than 60 flights and strike flights, many more to be exact, and never asked the Marines we were flying, just what they did, or where they were going. None of that made me Infantry.

We were Marines, one and all.

hbharrison
09-01-10, 02:51 PM
I keep hearing what you Marines and Corpsman are saying here. We all, (those of us who served in VN) did the best we could we all came back with scars of some kind that means Recon, Winger, etc. We did what we were told to do those of us that came home did so and who cares if you served as a Winger or Grunt or Recon or even as a Supply Driver we did it we came home respect that and again we served. We did not get a big Wecome Home we just came home no one gave a d*mn other than our families and some friends so we went on some could not deal with it some did it is in the past lets just move on and not let it happen to those who serve today. OK?

Lynn2
09-01-10, 03:46 PM
Yep, I must be clueless and dumber that dirt, cause that is the way I read it.

I sat in the left seat on many check rides. The drivers would let some of us have the controls at times. This did not make me a Pilot.

Well you read it about as wrong as you can.

Vietnam reconners (Army or Marine) have an almost mystical bond with the wing.

When we ran into trouble as we often did it was the wing that came on station to bail us out.

It was the wing that kept us alive. We adored the wing. And never once did they fail to get us out. Sometimes under really hairy conditions.

Now is there any way I can make that clearer to you?

True you were not a pilot. But you were air crew. And it would be pretty stupid for anyone to suggest you were not. Considering that was your job.

Just as I was not a patrol leader (although some Recon Docs were) But I was in fact a reconner. A full on at times point walking member of the recon community.

In the exact same way you are a member of the wing.

Now take all the pot shots at me you want. But we lost a he/ll of a lot of Recon Docs KIA and WIA out on those long range recon patrols. Docs who freely raised their hands, when they did not have to be a part of that community.

I'd suggest you keep any inane comments about them not being reconners to yourself.

It will only make you look small and petty to do otherwise.

riceke
09-02-10, 06:58 AM

Out of respect for what you did for the wounded and dying Marines I'll refrain from commenting other than to tell you I upgraded my profile. Didn't think it was such a big thing, that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country. The question though is why are you so hostile after such a long time?

Lynn2
09-02-10, 07:06 AM
Out of respect for what you did for the wounded and dying Marines I'll refrain from commenting other than to tell you I upgraded my profile. Didn't think it was such a big thing, that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country. The question though is why are you so hostile after such a long time?

Thanks.

I assume that when I do not see VN listed as a duty station its just an oversight.

But if its not in the duty station and someone refers to a VN experience I think its wise to ask why or how.

Sometimes when you ask that question you find that their story starts to unravel.

I may not have in asked in the best way. And for that I am sorry.

But asking is the correct thing to do.

"that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country."-----I do not think this is true at all. Many never set foot in country. Many only had the briefest of times landing at the airbase and then heading back to OKI or CONUS.

Wyoming
09-02-10, 09:00 AM
Well, I was just about to shake hands and say let's start over, until I read the last 2 sentences of post 34.

Anyway, enough for me.

Thanks for your service.

Lynn2
09-02-10, 11:10 AM
Well, I was just about to shake hands and say let's start over, until I read the last 2 sentences of post 34.

Anyway, enough for me.

Thanks for your service.

You realize Al that this is nothing more than old guys yacking and arguing about silly stuff on the internet.

Its neither the real world nor important.

And if I ever find myself becoming truly upset at what someone said on the internet I have to question my own sanity or mental health.

We take this stuff far more seriously than it warrants.

advanced
09-24-10, 07:57 AM
Thanks.

I assume that when I do not see VN listed as a duty station its just an oversight.

But if its not in the duty station and someone refers to a VN experience I think its wise to ask why or how.

Sometimes when you ask that question you find that their story starts to unravel.

I may not have in asked in the best way. And for that I am sorry.

But asking is the correct thing to do.

I always think the same thing, that someone may be a possible poser, when I do not see their name filled in within their profile.