PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I have a question

vondain
08-22-10, 08:08 PM
My name is Adam Johnson, age 20, I currently have a contract for the army and am pushing to switch to the Red and Blue (started feeling a bit of regret for settling with the army). I have a GED and am enrolled for my 15 college credits for enlistment. My army recruiter said he can have me out of the army by October at the earliest and I have already been looking into what jobs the marine corps has to offer and truth be told i am looking into (in order of preference) 0321, 0317, and 0231. I scored an 80 on my asvab and there are no flags and no waivers needed for my medical (for those who may question 0317 requirements yes my vision is 20/20). My Father was a Marine back in Vietnam and I have, since the earliest I can remember, always wanted to be a Leatherneck and a Devil Dog. The Sgt. (might I add, the best recruiter I've ever spoken to) at the local recruiting station has informed me I cannot Mep into the corps until the credits have been completed. But a'las I have run into a snag. I have lost my job and have no way to pay for the classes that start on Tuesday (even my contract for the army remains inactive until the credits are completed). At this point I'm just trying to get my life in order and for me the Corps means a fresh start and a chance to actually live. If anyone knows of any ways of potentially getting around this it would be greatly appreciated. Best of respect, Semper Fi'

Phantom Blooper
08-22-10, 08:56 PM
Apply for a Pell Grant...

Fill out your profile....:evilgrin:

vondain
08-22-10, 08:59 PM
I had actually tried that, but because certain information they are looking for does not exist the only way to do that is, well a breach of my integrity...(basically id have to lie)

josephd
08-22-10, 10:36 PM
certain information does not exist?.....anyone and everyone can get a pell grant, you basically automatically qualify for one just by filling out a FAFSA

vondain
08-22-10, 11:17 PM
That's only if the persons fafsa is complete, according to financial aid (because of the nonexistant info they want) mine is considered incomplete,,,

josephd
08-22-10, 11:27 PM
That's only if the persons fafsa is complete, according to financial aid (because of the nonexistant info they want) mine is considered incomplete,,,

Its really none of my business what it is, but I don't understand what info is non-existant. If you can't fill out a FAFSA how are you able to enlist in the military?

vondain
08-22-10, 11:40 PM
They require parents finacial information, which (long story) I can't get ahold of

josephd
08-22-10, 11:54 PM
They require parents finacial information, which (long story) I can't get ahold of

alright, I didn't think of that part...

Trying to help you out here....there is a part of the FAFSA that allows you to skip that part if you are over a certain age, or legally emancipated, and a few other options. Not sure of your situation but you may be able to answer one of those questions in order to not have to enter that info.

vondain
08-23-10, 12:22 AM
I definitely appreciate the help, means a lot. As for that particular part I had tried that too, but the school won't take a fafsa that's been filed that way, at that point they require a dependancy override which means saying I was either abused or abandoned with the forms to back it up. I was neither...

josephd
08-23-10, 12:39 AM
I definitely appreciate the help, means a lot. As for that particular part I had tried that too, but the school won't take a fafsa that's been filed that way, at that point they require a dependancy override which means saying I was either abused or abandoned with the forms to back it up. I was neither...

were you legally emancipated?...

don't fill it out at or with your school, do it online.

Whatever school you go to has no say in what goes in/on your FAFSA. That application goes to the government.

vondain
08-23-10, 12:58 AM
I did fill it out online, but even with me filing that way they won't even look at my fafsa unless I can provide the info or do the override

josephd
08-23-10, 01:04 AM
looks like your SOL then..??...

If you want those credits bad enough in order to become a Marine you will figure it out

vondain
08-23-10, 01:34 AM
Thanks again for trying to help, very much appreciated