PDA

View Full Version : Being a Rifleman

USMC DD
09-23-03, 09:27 AM
my parents are always saying that when i get out of the Marines that no good job looks for a grunt how do i get around this and really what good jobs can i get after Marine corps infantry.

USMC-FO
09-23-03, 09:55 AM
Don't worry about it beyond, perhaps, looking to go to college and then on to a career from there.

There is not a lot of demand for riflemen in the civie world but there is always a demand for men and women of integrity, hard work, and loyalty. You'll be ready for that regardless of what MOS you have. I was a "cannon cocker"--and various other arty MOS's--as an active Marine. Today I am a salesman with a fancy title and a solid mid six figure income that has come about because of the traits I earned as an active Marine and not because I could load, call fire missions and shoot 05's and 55's.

firstsgtmike
09-23-03, 11:32 AM
Two lifelong traits that are imbedded in Marine Infantrymen are Leadership and the sense of Responsibility that goes with it.

There is no comparison between the maturation and development of a nineteen year old Marine leading a Combat Patrol and any other "occupation", military or civilian.

He is years ahead of his age-group in all subsequent endeavors.

Lake0300
09-23-03, 12:30 PM
My parents said something similar. However - I look at it this way. You see the way civilians have respect for Marines. After the Marine Corp, people will respect you just because you were a Marine. They'll say to themselves "this guy knows how to work under intense situations, I'm gonna do what he does - he knows best".

To cut it short and get to the point, you wont learn how to work advanced computing or how to sell people over the phone. Instead you'll learn the qualities every employer looks for in an employee - Honor, Courage, Commitment!