PDA

View Full Version : Basic Training

ryangrose
09-18-03, 07:42 PM
Hey,

I am a poolee going to MCRD Parris Island this summer and im currently reading a book about boot camp. What is the best way to survive through the Water Survival Exercises, Gas Chamber and what are some more tips for how to get in shape before leaving. From what this guy says in his book "keeping faith", it is absolute hell and they are trying to drive you insane

thanks

Ryan

Lake0300
09-19-03, 09:15 AM
From what I've gathered, RUN RUN RUN! You'll be doing plenty of it in boot. Also make sure to stretch before each run, very important. Make sure if you do any training its charged towards muscle...

TheJester
09-19-03, 10:45 AM
Swim week is rather easy if you can swim well (two laps of a 25m pool easy is what I define as well) If you know all the strokes and have good form (you can ask your recruiter about form) then its even easier.

Most of what you do in the pool is based on technique and form not so much endurance until you get to the higher levels of swim qual. Since youll be in cammies, then cammies and boots with a flak, a helmet, a rifle, and pack you cant really just use muscle. Besides the way they want you to swim will be some ways you've never seen before.

The gas chamber, heh, thats just a rite of passage in my opinion. Suck it up and keep calm. By the time you fo this you will almost be through with Recruit training so you will have the motivation all you need is the guts. There is no other way around it.

Besides that always be motivated, as loud as possible, and move as fast as possible no matter what or how much you think what your doing sucks. Also NEVER give up. You can do everything thats put in front of you, you may experiance alot of pain, but you can push through it. Its all about commitment and motivation. Good luck

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-03, 09:31 PM
Swimming is actually time off in my opinion. If you can't be at the range, may as well be in the pool. If you can swim, you will pass. If you can swim well you will do better than just pass. The gas chamber is just a part of life. You will do it in boot camp, and then again every year of your Marine Corps career. It isn't fun, but it also isn't bad. You'll have to breathe while you're in there, so don't try to hold your breath. You'll just have to gasp for air then, and that makes it worse. Now, go PT, learn your general orders, the code of conduct, and any other thing you can come up with.

Caesar Augustus
09-19-03, 09:35 PM
Nice name echo.

Sender
09-20-03, 12:43 AM
Ryan,

The best way to make it through any one of the obstacles in Marine Corps Recruit training is to keep your mouth shut and listen intently to your Drill Instructors because they will always guide you in the right path in order for you to complete your mission and graduate as a Marine.

09-21-03, 03:26 PM
I actually thought that CWS-4 was the hardest in swim qual. Then again the cammies they gave me had a hole in them and wouldnt hold the air when we were treading water.... After that its not bad, the ALICE pack floats adn can hold up to 4 marines if its packed right. The Gas Chamber is nothing if you pay attention in the class beforehand and can hold your breath for a long time like me. It was pretty funny actually, you'll see other recruits flipping out, rolling on the deck screaming "God help me!" It's great :) The best advise I can give is, Sound off loud, move fast, pay attention, and above all else, NEVER give up. Everything they tell you to do is possible, even when it seems like its not. It all has a purpose, even when you can't figure out what it is. I never figured out the purpose of 2 sheets and a blanket, but I know it has a purpose :)

jdh091284
09-21-03, 09:50 PM
CWS-1 was the easiest swim qual of 'em all. All you had to do was master the strokes. Now, CWS-3 was a bit tougher; dragging the 'unconscious' guy wasn't a picnic. Toughest of all was WSQ, those instructors are ruthless. I had one guy grab me six times because he didn't think I was getting away quick enough. Jerk. ;)

Speed and volume go a long way. It's better to suck it up and move fast the first time, else the Drill Instructors will decide to make you do it again and again.

Gas chamber? Work on holding your breath. If you can hold your breath the whole time you're unmasked you're good to go. I could, and the only thing I got was a little in my eyes because I opened them before I cleared my mask all the way. Burned like crazy!

Lake0300
09-21-03, 10:22 PM
how long do you need to hold your breathe for?

Caesar Augustus
09-22-03, 09:07 AM
Jdh where did you go to boot camp? Were the night infiltration courses fun? How bad was the crucible?

03Infantry
09-23-03, 01:36 AM
Night infiltration courses rule. In the gas chamber it is like drowning in gasoline (the taste). DON"T COUGH. If you have to breathe take quick breaths. MAINTAIN YOUR BEARING.....don't be someone that the DI's are going to laugh at when you get out of the chamber. The time in there all depends on if people try to run. If they do you will be in there longer. No matter what you do someone is going to try to run.

Sixguns
09-23-03, 07:39 AM
THE MARINE CORPS DOES NOT HAVE "BASIC TRAINING."

ALL ENLISTED MARINES GO TO RECRUIT TRAINING!!!!! KNOW YOU KNOWLEDGE AND NEVER USE ARMY TERMS TO DESCRIBE MARINES!!!

Lake0300
09-23-03, 12:33 PM
The same goes with Drill INSTRUCTORS not Sergeants.