PDA

View Full Version : What MOS's transfer well into life after Marines?

TheFewTheProud9
07-11-10, 02:56 AM
Good day Marines, :)

Right now im interested in anything aviation/avionics etc, but reading each MOS's description on the military website just confuses me more about a MOS, gives a vague description, and it dosent really show if it could help me in the civilian world.

I know a few people in the Marines and they say the best thing you can do is getting an MOS that could help you out when you get out, they say they love the Marines but if they could go back they wouldnt pick the job they were doing now just because it dosent help them at all. I was going to join the Marines for the "03XX adventure" and to learn some things you could never learn in the civilian world and to earn the title, Still plan on doing the same thing but now im looking at MOS's that could help me learn something instead of infantry or something along those lines etc, even my recruiter suggested it unless i want to make the Marine Corps my career, but I dont know if thats what i would want to do unless I'm actually doing the MOS.

If anyone can lend me a hand that would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has MOS's other then aviation/avionics that could help me out please share with this wannabe, Thanks Marines

Sgt Leprechaun
07-11-10, 04:11 AM
Interesting question.

Anything 'technical' is usually good.

Anything requiring a 'Top Secret' clearance, if that job is somethiing you want to do 'on the outside' is good.

I usually tell folks considering the Reserves to do something they DON'T do 'every day at work'.

Lastly, the military doesn't give a flying rip how their job will 'help you in the civilian world'. Nor should they!

baby gorilla
07-11-10, 04:26 AM
Go to school while you are AD. Tuition asst. is a great thing. After 20 years I doubt I will want to do the same thing, I plan on retiring so I can do something different, do something you will enjoy while you are in, go to school for what you want to do later in life. Thats my opinion.

supermanlives22
07-11-10, 05:25 AM
you could go Intelligence there are jobs that will pay over 120,000 a year with just 5 year in the field and no degree. i say 5 years because its a 5 year contract, but i love my job

FPM
07-11-10, 08:56 AM
To the OP, First a question for you and you'll have to think about the answer. What do YOU want to do with your life or rather get out of it ?
What are your interests? your goals? We can sit here and throw all kinds of info your way and it won't really help you. Narrow down your wants and expectations after all it is YOUR future you're talking about here. Narrow it down and we'll all help as much as possible.

:flag:

TheFewTheProud9
07-11-10, 03:51 PM
Well to answer your guys questions in general, Ive just always had that burning passion to join the military.. and as i grew up the Marines grew on me the most. Like most kids coming out of high school, i think im unorganized right now and not ready to go to college and pursue a career right now, and what better way to learn some dicipline and experience life's new challenges then joining the USMC?

I know that the Marines will be a blast for me, i grew up in a military family anyway, i just dont want to come out of the Marines and have nothing to fall back on.

Crew Chief interests me ALOT, but i know that wont really help in being financially secure. I may be coming off stubborn but joining the USMC for maybe 4 years for infantry isent going to help me for the other 50 years i may have to live.

Lynn2
07-11-10, 04:55 PM
( EDITED: OK the link is bad for some reason. UAV pilot)

Now I have no idea how hard this is to get as far as an MOS but its a growth area in the private sector.

And from what I have seen room to move up and a fair amount of money.

Rocky C
07-11-10, 05:43 PM
INTEL. Great Job While Active and When You EAS Great $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Good Luck on " YOUR " Choice...............

ameriken
07-11-10, 07:45 PM
Here's what I have to say about the MOS I ended up with: 3051 Supply, Warehouseman.

If you join the Corps and go with 3051, when you get out you should be able to find a job in some warehouse making minimum wage or maybe a little bit better.

On the other hand, if you decide you won't join the Corps, you should be able to find a job in some warehouse making minimum wage or maybe a little bit better.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-11-10, 08:10 PM
LOL. I could NEVER have done that...being a 'collector' and all. Jail for me for sure.

TheFewTheProud9
07-11-10, 08:44 PM
Here's what I have to say about the MOS I ended up with: 3051 Supply, Warehouseman.

If you join the Corps and go with 3051, when you get out you should be able to find a job in some warehouse making minimum wage or maybe a little bit better.

On the other hand, if you decide you won't join the Corps, you should be able to find a job in some warehouse making minimum wage or maybe a little bit better.

Hey man you're still a Marine and that job is important like every other job in the corps, every job helps. But i could never see myself joining the military to do something i could have done at a local supermarket.

And yea im not going to take a job like that to learn some skills in a menial career. im talking bigger jobs, like technical and intelligence like other people are saying.

Lisa 23
07-11-10, 08:50 PM
Yes, this is a peeve of mine.

How about "hey Marine", not hey man....and it's Corps, not corps.

And remember...every MOS is the Marine Corps is important. Those Supply (3043) and Warehouse (3051) Marines are your best buddies when you need to replace some gear that happens to go missing at times.

DrZ
07-11-10, 09:23 PM
When I entered the Marines, you didn't have a choice of MOS. You took the tests and you were told what you were going to do... simple as that. I was a basic 6200 which was the MOS for avionics technician. Later, I added various others in the 66xx MOS stream. After 8 years, I left the Corps and went on to University. Electrical Engineering is substantially easier due to the fact I was doing board level repair on various Comm/Nav systems. The only issue was that I was taught electronics theory that was 20 years behind what was going on in the civilian world. That was because the systems on the RF4B A/C were developed 20 years prior.

All of this to say, I have hired MANY technicians over the years who had military electronics under their belt. Mostly Marines but not always....depends on my needs plus availability. Damn good technicians and a great work ethic.

So avionics, jet mechanics, electrical, hydraulics, diesel mechanics, and various others transfer very well into the civilian world.

ameriken
07-11-10, 10:22 PM
Hey man you're still a Marine and that job is important like every other job in the corps, every job helps. But i could never see myself joining the military to do something i could have done at a local supermarket.

And yea im not going to take a job like that to learn some skills in a menial career. im talking bigger jobs, like technical and intelligence like other people are saying.
Excuse me, but you wanted to know what transfers well into life after the Corps. I gave you an answer of what I think doesn't transfer well.

But what the hell makes you think that what I or any supply person did in the Corps was so menial, equal to a job at a local supermarket, or that it is not like the 'bigger' jobs?

Oh, and thank you for reminding me that I am still a Marine and that my job was important. I was feeling quite depressed and suicidal, and I was hoping that some inexperienced wannabe poolee who hasn't even been through boot camp would come along and cheer me up.

You might want to think twice before making any kind of condescending remarks about jobs in the Corps. That 'menial and lesser job' could be one of the fastest promoting MOS's and one of the finest jobs in the Corps putting you in places and with people that makes your time the best years you'll ever remember. And those 'bigger' jobs you're thinking so highly about? It could land you in the most miserable unit in the Corps where promotions are slow, the CO is a jerk, and you get transferred to a lonely boring shack in the middle of Bumfuk nowhere which is cold as hell with nothing to do on or off duty.

And if you do end up in a place like that, when the temps drop to twenty below and you're freezing your a*s off because your space heater went on the fritz, just remember that you're still a Marine and your job is important. Then call Supply and they'll be more than happy to overnight you a new one most rickytick. And a little tip: when you speak to the Supply Sergeant (who went in the same time as you, but he's an E5 and you just barely made E4) for that heater, be sure to let him know your sentiments about his MOS and remind him that you have a 'bigger' and more important job than he does.

Lisa 23
07-11-10, 10:30 PM
Excuse me, but you wanted to know what transfers well into life after the Corps. I gave you an answer of what I think doesn't transfer well.

But what the hell makes you think that what I or any supply person did in the Corps was so menial, equal to a job at a local supermarket, or that it is not like the 'bigger' jobs?

Oh, and thank you for reminding me that I am still a Marine and that my job was important. I was feeling quite depressed and suicidal, and I was hoping that some inexperienced wannabe poolee who hasn't even been through boot camp would come along and cheer me up.

You might want to think twice before making any kind of condescending remarks about jobs in the Corps. That 'menial and lesser job' could be one of the fastest promoting MOS's and one of the finest jobs in the Corps putting you in places and with people that makes your time the best years you'll ever remember. And those 'bigger' jobs you're thinking so highly about? It could land you in the most miserable unit in the Corps where promotions are slow, the CO is a jerk, and you get transferred to a lonely boring shack in the middle of Bumfuk nowhere which is cold as hell with nothing to do on or off duty.

And if you do end up in a place like that, when the temps drop to twenty below and you're freezing your a*s off because your space heater went on the fritz, just remember that you're still a Marine and your job is important. Then call Supply and they'll be more than happy to overnight you a new one most rickytick. And a little tip: when you speak to the Supply Sergeant (who went in the same time as you, but he's an E5 and you just barely made E4) for that heater, be sure to let him know your sentiments about his MOS and remind him that you have a 'bigger' and more important job than he does.

OUTSTANDING.....very well said! http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/MarcusH_photos/clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley.gif

Quinbo
07-11-10, 10:43 PM
Even an ordinary farmer can be out standing in his own field. It really boils down to who you are. I've known truck drivers that couldn't drive a truck and cooks who couldn't fry an egg. Doesn't really matter in the long run. MOS that transfers well to civilian life is 9900.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-11-10, 11:03 PM
Well said, 'Ken.

Closed for the good of the order.