PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Dramatically Improve your IST Scores

BassPro0007
07-09-10, 06:15 PM
I keep seeing all these posts about guys that are trying hard with no improvement. This is my quick guide that worked for me.

My first IST went as followed:

Run: 12:48
Sit ups: 51
Pull ups: 3

I am now at (approximetly three months later):

Run: 10:59
Sit ups: 100
Pull ups: 13

To improve on your running, you have to run more then 1.5 miles. If you run two or three the one and a half is easy. To say run everyday is kind of a stretch with a lot of peoples schedules so Ill say as often as possible. To improve endurance alternate between jogging and sprinting. Lastly find something to motavate you or get your mind off running. I downloaded cadences to my phone to listen to.

Sit ups are simple. Do as many sets as possible till failure. They are the easiest to improve on and are an easy one hundred points on the PFT.

Pull ups. What worked for me was putting a pull up bar above my bedroom door and everytime I pass thu it I max out. Also alternate the way you do the pull ups. Ex: Hands in/ Hands out. Pull your self up and move yourself side to side. Any wierd s*** you can think of.

Hope this helps. It has definetly helped me

jburke1983
07-09-10, 07:39 PM
So to improve running, situps and pullups you just do a lot of running, situps and pullups?

Rough Hands
07-09-10, 08:45 PM
So to improve running, situps and pullups you just do a lot of running, situps and pullups?

There is a legitimate technique called "greasing the groove", which simply put, just means to do what you want to improve on more often and you will improve. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people take over-training into consideration when doing this. So, the key to it is, yes, do it more often but when you're not seeing positive results, you're overdoing it.

What I can recommend, since I'm actually working really hard to improve my IST at the moment, is running with someone or a group that is faster than you. As for the flexed-arm hang for females, I couldn't do the minimum twelve seconds required for it just a couple months ago, but then I started doing more upper body exercises like bench press, curls, pullovers, upright rows, and negatives. Now I can get away with 24-30 seconds on the bar.

I still have a long way to go, but with the help of a lot of poolees (and quite a few Marines) on this site and help from my recruiter and the poolees in my DEP pool, I will get to where I need to be before I ship to Parris Island in just three months.

BassPro0007
07-10-10, 10:53 AM

Yes. Its worked for me and all the guys in my poolee group. If your maxing out on everything everyday then you should improve, unless you are unmotevated and half ass it. And no need to be a friggen smart ass by the way.

jburke1983
07-10-10, 12:40 PM
And no need to be a friggen smart ass by the way.

Wow, chill out... and fill out your profile there, buddy.

the802
07-10-10, 03:45 PM
Fight! Fight! Fight!

BassPro0007
07-11-10, 12:11 AM
Filled it out. And Im deffinetly not trying to start anything I just dont appreciate people downing my information. No hard feelings tho.

jburke1983
07-11-10, 12:22 AM
We're cool. Honestly the only reason I brought up the profile thing was because I couldn't think of anything better to say.

Sorry to dissapoint you, the802.

Poolee24
07-12-10, 05:50 PM
I use a goldsgym 20lb. weight vest, they have them at Wal-mart for like $20. I got it when I was in high school. I use it running.. I run my 3 mile 3 times a week with it on. And on the days I don't do 3 miles I run 1.5 without the vest.

I do my pull-ups with it on, I do 35 in as few sets as I can, and then i max without the vest.

When i do my crunches, I use a 10lb. dumbbell. I do 100 reps with it in as few sets as I can, then I max without it. I also do push-ups with the vest on. I do these workouts mon.-fri. And rest on the weekends, you muscles need that break to heal.

My IST (as of last months function)
PUll-22
CRUNCH-115
RUN 1.5- 9.00 FLAT

Poolee24
07-12-10, 06:09 PM
I do all of that stuff before dinner. I usually do my normal weight lifting at 4am. I work from 6am-5pm.
I try to go on ruck hikes on fridays, I have fridays off work. I use my vest and a 25lb. weight in a duffle bag. I live in Idaho ( Rocky Mountain Range), Lots of moutains and trails. So find some hills/mountains. I thought I would add that! It helps! That is everthing I do..
Good luck man! Let me know if any of this helps you.

Cellinheim
08-11-10, 12:22 PM
The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week. Wear an good name brand running shoe. I know it sounds stupid but they are built for running. Walmart jockeys do not cut it. You are hurting yourself in the long run.

BassPro0007
08-11-10, 05:53 PM
The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week.
Wear an good name brand running shoe. I know it sounds stupid but they are built for running. Walmart jockeys do not cut it. You are hurting yourself in the long run.

Im about to start training in boots!! lol Gotta get used to it eventually I guess.

Steve018
08-11-10, 08:20 PM
The "grease the grove" technique mentioned above is the best route to go. Other things help, but no where nearly as fast as they will if you do only that. There is a post on increasing pull ups by the "Drillinstructor" on this site. Look for it, it will not only increase your pulls but your crunches as well. As for running, RUN! My LCDR Larry Parker, from my high school days used to tell us "IF YOU WANT A FASTER MILE AND A HALF, DO THREE! IF YOU WANT A FASTER THREE DO SIX!" Trust me it works. If you cannot get to three miles yet. Gradually work your way up. Add about a quarter to a half mile per week.

Im about to start training in boots!! lol Gotta get used to it eventually I guess.

Stick to good running shows, the boot you get in recruit training are different (unless you get those types of boots haha). I might be wrong though but you dont want to risk it

Rough Hands
08-11-10, 11:01 PM
Stick to good running shows, the boot you get in recruit training are different (unless you get those types of boots haha). I might be wrong though but you dont want to risk it

You wont be doing any PFT run in boots. Stick to running in running shoes, if you go on hikes or something, you can use the boots for that.

BassPro0007
08-12-10, 09:41 AM
Yeah your right, but you do CFT in boots and full gear. I've got supportive boots and they are heavy which gets my legs stronger.

Achamness
08-12-10, 10:30 AM
The way i got better at running was running with a 25 pound weighted vest on that my recruiter had laying around his office. I'd usually put it on and go for about a mile/ mile and a half each day until that distance wasn't as hard then i kept doing that until my endurance was good enough for longer distances. It does help but it wears you out quicker. The vest can help also with pull-ups.

Tmac73
08-12-10, 10:58 AM
Here is what I'm doing. I play football. But I have a IST Saturday at a poolee function.

I've been working out Monday- Saturday, all summer. Mon. Wed. Friday: 6am-8am sprint/condition 8am-9am: Lift. Tues. Thurs. Saturday.: Run approximately 3.5 to 4 miles.

I'll be updating my IST scores saturday later that afternoon. It'll be my first one.

At the IST at MEPs they stopped me at 5 pull ups, and i did 60 crunches in 50 seconds so I hope i can hit 100 they stopped me with them too.

the802
08-12-10, 11:22 AM
At the IST at MEPs they stopped me at 5 pull ups, and i did 60 crunches in 50 seconds so I hope i can hit 100 they stopped me with them too.

The sit ups are the easiest part...I usually do 100 in the first minute without a break, and then I just do intervals of 5 during the 2nd minute.

Rough Hands
08-12-10, 12:00 PM
The sit ups are the easiest part...I usually do 100 in the first minute without a break, and then I just do intervals of 5 during the 2nd minute.

For some reason, my crunches suck. It's the same problem I have with push-ups; I can do them just fine, with perfect form, but I can only manage to do them slowly, so I tire out quickly. I can't seem to do them faster, and can only manage 50-55 crunches within the allotted two minutes... So I'm gonna be working on those a lot in the 8 weeks that I have left.

My flexed-arm hang is steadily improving however, I'll bet my run has too, but I haven't done a timed run since the last IST. The next one should be today or next week, but we shall see.

Thank you, poolees. You've really helped me to improve and prepare myself physically for recruit training.

tblake87
08-12-10, 12:21 PM

When i first went to meet my recruiter about 3 months ago he tested me on my pullups and crunches. I did 4 pullups and like 65 crunches in 2 minutes. Over the course of those months I've worked on pullups and crunches almost everyday and my pullups have only gone up by 2 but i can do about 95 crunches in the 2 minutes now. It seems like crunches improve really easily over everything else. Still got another 4 months before I ship out, so I'm hoping I can get 120+ on my final IST before I ship out.

calebh180
08-12-10, 12:34 PM
I havent worked on sit-ups at all and I have my first IST on satuday, but i can max 20 pullups.

Meagan92
08-12-10, 01:25 PM
i run with ankle weights and a 15 pound pack, it helped my run time by alott!!!

Tmac73
08-12-10, 02:28 PM
I also have MCJROTC in my school i'm in it and the work outs we do help out. But lots of slackers that just join for fun in it

Dillon
08-12-10, 04:52 PM
If you're fat, lose weight, that will DRAMATICALLY increase your IST scores, and if it doesn't it will make it easier for you to accomplish your goal. Fat people can't run... for long...

calebh180
08-12-10, 06:45 PM
If you're fat, lose weight, that will DRAMATICALLY increase your IST scores, and if it doesn't it will make it easier for you to accomplish your goal. Fat people can't run... for long...
:thumbup: haha

Rough Hands
08-12-10, 09:14 PM
i run with ankle weights and a 15 pound pack, it helped my run time by alott!!!

Lose the ankle weights; they'll screw with your joints and tendons in your knees and ankles.

calebh180
08-12-10, 09:29 PM
how do you run with ankle weights? thats gotta be really hard.

Cardboardbox
08-12-10, 10:04 PM

LMAO

I have an IST at this weeks pool function.. I'll see how much my crunches have improved or sucked more than before. My abs start burning and I end up with no energy to pull myself up after 65 - 70 crunches. Running and pull ups I should be fun.

Meagan92
08-13-10, 12:17 AM
Lose the ankle weights; they'll screw with your joints and tendons in your knees and ankles.

oh i didnt know that, they havent been hurting me or anything, did this happen to you or someone you know?

Meagan92
08-13-10, 12:19 AM
how do you run with ankle weights? thats gotta be really hard.

lol its not that hard, its like running with those weights you put around your wrists, you just strap them on and go, its works your thighs more than anything

Tmac73
08-13-10, 04:41 AM
its long term damage, nothing you can feel right away. Kind of like squatting alot of weight. I'll have bad knees one day because i squat 450 lbs

Nate2004
08-13-10, 06:01 AM
Well, to start, I began with just close to 8 max pull-ups near the beginning of April...55 crunches, and a 14:00 run time. I began to run every other day, 1mi-2mi, timed and just jogging off and on. That seemed to work, cause I had strong legs, just needed to build my lungs up a bit. Since then I have made my run down to at best 9:56, and normal around 10:50(the 9:56 was part of are all hands in RS pool function tourny so i had a lot of moto...)

For crunches I simply did a bunch of ab work...First starting with flutter kicks, about 30 in the beginning, currently at about 100 4-count without stopping. After flutter kicks I did crunches with my legs up in a 90degree(not crossed), side crunches(1 leg on the other and bending opposite shoulder to opp knee(the on crossed), and Bicyles. Every other day I also did the Ab-ripper X from the p90x videos. from 55 crunches i have gone to 105-125 crunches in 2min.

The pull-ups is pretty simple...I just did a bunch, every single day for 5 days straight, then 2 days rest. If you are simply having terrible time with pull-ups, you need to drop weight. Lifting 160 vs 170 will make all the difference in you even gaining that 1 pull-up to start really working it. There is a lot of pull-up info on this site that will help you, i personally used the Armstrong pull-up program for a bit, then just transferred to doing a max set every time i passed one of the two bars in my house+the bar at the RSS. Also, another way to improve pull-ups, after you do you max set, get out a chair and do negative reps, which is lowing yourself down as slow as you can. Though i suggest to not to burn yourself out like that every day, as when building muscle, you are tearing them up, you have to give them a little time to heal over and become stronger. Also, stick with whatever grip suits you. Some people have bigger biceps as they believe they look better, so do the palms facing in, I personally chose to do the palms facing out, as I believe it will help me more in obstacles/climbing over things, and I also have pretty well defined back-muscles.

My current IST:
run:10:40-began at 14:00
crunches:104-began at 55
pull-ups: 23-began at 8

weight:145(main reason for increase in pull-ups, but also it was the determination to reach 20 and higher that kept me going.)
height:5'9/5'10

the802
08-13-10, 07:34 AM
At our DEP functions, when we go for long runs, we wear weighted vests that weigh 40-50lbs.

Rough Hands
08-13-10, 02:32 PM
Well, to start, I began with just close to 8 max pull-ups near the beginning of April...55 crunches, and a 14:00 run time. I began to run every other day, 1mi-2mi, timed and just jogging off and on. That seemed to work, cause I had strong legs, just needed to build my lungs up a bit. Since then I have made my run down to at best 9:56, and normal around 10:50(the 9:56 was part of are all hands in RS pool function tourny so i had a lot of moto...)

For crunches I simply did a bunch of ab work...First starting with flutter kicks, about 30 in the beginning, currently at about 100 4-count without stopping. After flutter kicks I did crunches with my legs up in a 90degree(not crossed), side crunches(1 leg on the other and bending opposite shoulder to opp knee(the on crossed), and Bicyles. Every other day I also did the Ab-ripper X from the p90x videos. from 55 crunches i have gone to 105-125 crunches in 2min.

The pull-ups is pretty simple...I just did a bunch, every single day for 5 days straight, then 2 days rest. If you are simply having terrible time with pull-ups, you need to drop weight. Lifting 160 vs 170 will make all the difference in you even gaining that 1 pull-up to start really working it. There is a lot of pull-up info on this site that will help you, i personally used the Armstrong pull-up program for a bit, then just transferred to doing a max set every time i passed one of the two bars in my house+the bar at the RSS. Also, another way to improve pull-ups, after you do you max set, get out a chair and do negative reps, which is lowing yourself down as slow as you can. Though i suggest to not to burn yourself out like that every day, as when building muscle, you are tearing them up, you have to give them a little time to heal over and become stronger. Also, stick with whatever grip suits you. Some people have bigger biceps as they believe they look better, so do the palms facing in, I personally chose to do the palms facing out, as I believe it will help me more in obstacles/climbing over things, and I also have pretty well defined back-muscles.

My current IST:
run:10:40-began at 14:00
crunches:104-began at 55
pull-ups: 23-began at 8

weight:145(main reason for increase in pull-ups, but also it was the determination to reach 20 and higher that kept me going.)

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to do these things more and more every day, and have slowly been improving. I know that I can do more though, so I'm going to start to really push myself to my limits. I'm going to have a first-class IST/PFT when I hit the Island, one way or another.

At our DEP functions, when we go for long runs, we wear weighted vests that weigh 40-50lbs.

I'm sure that'll help you prepare for the humps with a full pack.

Cellinheim
08-13-10, 03:13 PM

I was with you almost one hundred percent until you hit this line. The reason pull ups are used is not only there efficiency but also the capability of an individual to pull themselves up. A persons body weight is their body weight. Nothing else should matter. Take some of the smallest power lifters (this is more so true for the larger power lifters, due to them having more weight and less endurance) for instance, They may not weight much, but they are not capable of preforming some of the same feats due to their lack of calisthenics.

Bottom line, the unit of measurement is your own bodyweight for a reason. When I start having to carry a guy two-hundred pounds more than myself we will talk about the difference.

The vest is a good idea, I am about to begin running with mine on. I have yet to do this since I began retraining for the Corps. I used to be at a 8:15 mile and a half four years ago. Now I am at a dreaded 10:05... See what a wife will do to you children? :cool:

Pullups: 10
Mile and a half: 10:05
Crunches:81

Two months ago, I was at 0 pullups, 14 min runs, and 50 crunches.

calebh180
08-13-10, 03:13 PM
i ran with 10lb ankle weights on each leg one time and it was really hard.

Cellinheim
08-13-10, 03:15 PM
i ran with 10lb ankle weights on each leg one time and it was really hard.

Start smaller.

calebh180
08-13-10, 03:22 PM
Nate2004 mentioned the armstrong pullup program, what is that?

BassPro0007
08-13-10, 03:34 PM
I tried those vests and couldn't stand the way they bounce around, granted I did get a cheap vest from Wal-Mart... I do pushups and pullups in it though and that is a workout.

Updated IST:

Run: 10:02
Situps: 100
Pullups: 14

Nate2004
08-13-10, 04:20 PM
Nate2004 mentioned the armstrong pullup program, what is that?

THE ARMSTRONG PULLUP PROGRAM <o></o>

Developed by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong, USMC, this program consists of two workouts per day, five days a week. Most people who stick with this program are able to do 20 pullups within 4 to 6 weeks. <o></o>
Every morning, do three maximum effort sets of push-ups. Major Armstrong said that he would get out of bed and hit the floor to do his first max set. He would then go and shave, and return to do his next set. A few minutes later, he would do his third maximum effort set. The push up is one of the best exercises to develop arm strength for pull-ups. The rest of the routine goes like this:<o></o>

Monday Do five max effort sets of pull-ups, resting one minute between each set<o></o>

Tuesday Do a pyramid of repetitions, starting with one pull-up then 10 seconds of rest, 2 pull-ups and 20 seconds of rest, 3 pull-ups and 30 seconds of rest, and so on until you are unable to do more repetitions than your previous set.<o></o>

Wednesday Do three “training sets” of overhand pull-ups three sets of underhand pull-ups, and three sets of overhand pull-ups where the back of your neck touches the bar. A training set is dictated by your current level of strength. If you are advanced, it might be 5 or 6. Rest one minute between sets. The goal of the workout is to do the same number of repetitions per set, so start off conservatively, if you can only do 1, use one.<o></o>

Thursday Do training sets, resting one minute between each set, until you are unable to complete a set. Use the same number of repetitions that you used in your Wednesday sets. This will probably turn out to be your longest (and hardest) day.<o></o>

Friday Repeat the day that you had the most trouble with during the week.<o></o>

Take the weekends off. Your muscles will need this time to recover. Females can adapt the flexed arm hang to this program by simply replacing repetitions with hang times. The key to this program is regularity and COMMITMENT. If you follow the program consistently, you should see improvement within a few weeks.

Rough Hands
08-13-10, 05:30 PM
There are a couple other pull-up programs that I've seen used on this forum that has helped many a Marine and poolee achieve their goals, as far as pull-ups are concerned. I thought it'd be a good idea to post the other two that I'm familiar with so that if one doesn't work, you can try another; just keep in mind, for best results, it's better to make a pretty solid commitment to one thing before you try another.

The Recon Ron Pull-Up Program (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=164550)
Failuredrill's 20 Pull-Up Program (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97327)

If any poolees are aware of programs to assist in improving your physical attributes, I recommend posting them and sharing them in this thread so that they can all be compiled in one place. Just a thought.

Stay motivated.

calebh180
08-13-10, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the Programs, im definately interested in the Armstrong program, my goal is 30 max, im at about 18-20 right now.

JP702
08-13-10, 08:10 PM
Definitely ditch the ankle weights. Do a little research and you'll find out they can screw with your tendons and etc. Stick to a weighted vest.

Cellinheim
08-13-10, 08:28 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28822 This is the DrillInstructors program I mention earlier. Rough Hands asked for it. I should have looked for it earlier. My apologies.

Tmac73
08-14-10, 10:05 AM
Just got back from my Poolee Function We did a IST

heres my results

First IST
Pull Ups: 13
Crunches: 114
1 1/2 Mile: 9:28

calebh180
08-14-10, 10:42 AM
just got back from mine too, it was hell. we did a combat course or something like that.

Tmac73
08-14-10, 10:51 AM
combat course? sounds like a CFT to me

calebh180
08-14-10, 11:01 AM
yea thats what it was the CFT. :cool:

Tmac73
08-14-10, 11:06 AM
SO much fun. Ammo can lifts, 880 yd sprint i think thats the distance and then that fun little course. I had to carry i 240 lb kid i weigh 180 haha

calebh180
08-14-10, 11:11 AM
I felt like I was gonna black out in that last strecth. lol those ammo cans get alot heavier after you had to carry somebody like 80 yards.

Tmac73
08-14-10, 11:48 AM
yes they do get heavy haha. I finished mine in 2:39 last MCJROTC CFT i did

calebh180
08-14-10, 11:51 AM
I did mine in 2:38. This one guy did it in 1:58!

Cellinheim
08-14-10, 03:52 PM
WOW! I wish we had the motivation in our poole that you guys appear to have in yours... It appears that my local stations kids do not take PT serious... I mean we are all in top notch shape... But it is like it is a joke to them. Boot is going to fun for these guys... I wish we had CFT's and such to run on a regular basis.

Tmac73
08-14-10, 04:04 PM
I'm in MCJROTC so that helps me out a lot and my recruiters don't want idiots in the Marines they'll make you motivated if your joking around it ends bad haha. and 1:58? thats crazy dude

Cellinheim
08-14-10, 04:10 PM
I was in a NJROTC unit four years ago, my IST (PFT) back then was ungodly as well, that is what Civi life will do to you.

Anyhow, It just annoys me that they do not take it as serious as I do, personally. Which they are all doing pulls of 20+ and runs in 11:00+ so it is not like they need to worry about it. Still though, it feels odd... Outside of the more so serious poole members they tend to get iritated due to my tendency to snap back to my old Squad Leader role and go all Drill Instructor-ish :evilgrin:(emphasis on ISH for all of the Marines reading this) when they begin to slack too much for my liking.

Meagan92
08-14-10, 07:03 PM
Definitely ditch the ankle weights. Do a little research and you'll find out they can screw with your tendons and etc. Stick to a weighted vest.

Okay, thank you!

Good Squire
08-15-10, 01:19 AM
New IST
Pull ups: 15
Crunches: 75
1.5 Mile: Some abysmal number that I don't even know because my stomach was all knotted up and heat stroke was soon to come after had we not gone inside. Running in 100 degree weather and 77% humidity in Houston is not for sissies let me tell you. You can think you're hydrated, and as soon as your legs start moving you know it's gonna be a long day. I'm motivated though, gonna start running daily and drink a gallon a day.

Tmac73
08-15-10, 06:13 AM
I love the heat! :D

Cardboardbox
08-15-10, 07:31 AM
I love the heat! :D

Where I live the heat isn't the bad part, it's the humidity with the heat that kills you. The sweat doesn't evaporate off your body and you just have to suck it up and PT anyway with your whole entire body soaked. I think I could do a lot better on my IST in the colder weather.

Cellinheim
08-15-10, 08:49 AM
I dunno about anyone else, but I LOVE running in the rain. Seriously.

calebh180
08-15-10, 10:50 AM
Where I live the heat isn't the bad part, it's the humidity with the heat that kills you. The sweat doesn't evaporate off your body and you just have to suck it up and PT anyway with your whole entire body soaked. I think I could do a lot better on my IST in the colder weather.

Yep same here, I live in South Carolina and its very humid where i live and its ten times worse on the coast at Parris Island.

BassPro0007
08-15-10, 12:00 PM
I dont mind running in the heat as much as the cold though. I hate that feeling you get in your throat and lungs from breathing in cold air.:scared:

Tmac73
08-15-10, 08:25 PM
yeah it kills to breath that in

Cellinheim
08-15-10, 09:02 PM
Try breathing in Dry air in the post 100's heat... Pain in the rear... The humidity is not so much fun either...

calebh180
08-15-10, 09:28 PM
I dont like running no matter what the conditions are.:mad:

Good Squire
08-16-10, 12:42 AM
I hear you man, but us guys who hate running need to brand the word "motivation" into our foreheads. If we don't hit the roads while in the DEP, the DIs are going to have a lot of fun. :evilgrin:

Cardboardbox
08-16-10, 10:58 AM
For the seniors in high school, you need to go to every single DEP PT. That way you're already used to the run > vomit > run more cycle.

Tmac73
08-16-10, 12:32 PM
I don't vomit when I run haha but its because i run soo much.

Just ran a 3.1 mile to test the PFT timing 100% is 18:00

I got for time: 20:17

Cellinheim
08-16-10, 03:32 PM
For the seniors in high school, you need to go to every single DEP PT. That way you're already used to the run > vomit > run more cycle.

Do not eat 2 hours before you run in order to prevent this from happening until your body can HANDLE the stress.

calebh180
08-16-10, 03:48 PM
Im glad you mentioned eating and running. I have started getting up at 6am-5 days a week and running, and I was wondering if you should eat breakfast before or after running?

Cellinheim
08-16-10, 03:51 PM
Before running is actually a good thing. The carbs from breakfast are really good for your energy boost. However, if you cannot get up early enough to eat, wait, then run. I suggest eating a hefty evening meal and breakfast after you run.

Tmac73
08-16-10, 06:56 PM
Eat something small. Granola bars, Oatmeal, cereal. Nothing big or maybe some toast but most of that is good energy for the run then when u get home eat something like Eggs and maybe some bacon. it is recovery food to keep your energy for the day

Cellinheim
08-16-10, 06:58 PM
Wow if we keep responding like this we may actually KNOW each other before we leave... Life long bonds before they even become troops... I do not know what to say lol.

Rough Hands
08-16-10, 08:38 PM
The brother/sisterhood is a bit bigger than any of us really realize at this point. ;)

Another thing about running and eating; Oatmeal is perfect for breakfast before a run 'cause it's all carbs and fiber. But if you have to go out for a run right that second, and have no time for anything to digest, try a tablespoon of honey about 10-30 minutes beforehand. It's a trick I learned from a friend who ran Cross Country.

calebh180
08-16-10, 08:58 PM
Wow if we keep responding like this we may actually KNOW each other before we leave... Life long bonds before they even become troops... I do not know what to say lol.

Yea Im Glad I found this site, it helps keep me motivated to keep working as hard as I can to be ready for boot camp.

Tmac73
08-16-10, 10:15 PM
Yeah screw everyone else the brotherhood starts as poolees :D

Meagan92
08-16-10, 11:07 PM
Yeah screw everyone else the brotherhood starts as poolees :D
I TOTALLY agree :)!

Tmac73
08-17-10, 02:03 AM
I was going to say brotherhood/ sisterhood but i didn't want it to sound like we are all girls. Any girl willing to join the Marines is apart of the brother hood and just as bada** ;)

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:17 AM
OK, back on topic before my little brotherhood comment derails this thread lol. We are not here for "brotherhood" we are in this thread for "PT!" :P

There is no gender in the Marine Corps only MARINES!

Tmac73
08-17-10, 07:26 AM
Haha ALRIGHT! I have a 300 yard Shuttle today for football. Gotta get it in under 59 seconds twice

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 03:37 PM
Let us know how it goes.

Nerd
08-17-10, 04:10 PM
There is no gender in the Marine Corps only MARINES!

I lol'd

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 04:13 PM
You think I am playing about this. Have you ever watched the reaction a Marine has around civilian women vs. Marine women? There are certain things that tend to occur... I believe the phrase was put to me four years ago... "she is not a woman, she is a MARINE!" /shrugs.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 04:27 PM
I have to stop myself here... STOP DERAILING THREAD! Pullups anyone?

Nerd
08-17-10, 04:52 PM
I can do 13 chin ups. Is there any trick for doing more? Like...doing them faster or something

P.S.: no I didn't think you were joking, i was laughing at how awesome that quote is

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 05:00 PM
Honestly, the best thing to do is just as it sounds is to get on the bar. There are several work out programs for that listed on this site already. Read page three of this thread.

Nate2004
08-17-10, 05:03 PM
Just remember, when taking the IST or PFT, it is NOT a workout. Meaning don't lower yourself down when doing the crunches, just drop, also a tip I learned from my recruiter, look at the person counting, and keep your eyes on their forehead, so when you go up you kind of pop your head forward at the same time. For the pull-ups/chin-ups just DROP when you go up, no need to waste energy lowering yourself, and it will make sure you got a full dead-hang before beginning...nothing like miscounting a pull-up because you didnt fully extend your arms.

Meagan92
08-17-10, 05:07 PM
I was going to say brotherhood/ sisterhood but i didn't want it to sound like we are all girls. Any girl willing to join the Marines is apart of the brother hood and just as bada** ;)
LOL , yea thats a little bit better! and thats right there is no male or female, just Marines :)

Nerd
08-17-10, 05:08 PM
I hate that.

There's a dummy in my platoon who did his IST, and just would not freakin' go down all the way. The recruiters counted like 6 or 7 half drops

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 05:08 PM
Yeah that supposedly happened to me on my last IST which is why my count is still at 9 on record. I was like WHISKEY FOXTROT TANGO! I sooo felt my bones touch lol. You do not argue with Gunny, 'specially when MSGT is there from HQ for qualifications.

Nerd
08-17-10, 05:12 PM
Yeah that supposedly happened to me on my last IST which is why my count is still at 9 on record. I was like WHISKEY FOXTROT TANGO! I sooo felt my bones touch lol. You do not argue with Gunny, 'specially when MSGT is there from HQ for qualifications.

:( that's god awful, bro. Marines are picky haha

Tmac73
08-17-10, 05:42 PM
apparently it was under 70 seconds haha...first try: 60 seconds 2nd try: 63

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:12 PM
apparently it was under 70 seconds haha...first try: 60 seconds 2nd try: 63

Sweet! Keep up the good work Poolee!

Yeah as for my Pulls a lot of schisty stuff happened on that last IST. Another poolee did not get two of his counted because his counter turned around...

It is kool though, dropped my run from 10:39 to 10:05 in a month from my last IST! So I was happy. My pulls were also an increase from 4 to the "9."

calebh180
08-17-10, 06:28 PM
I still havent had my first IST, I thought we were gonna have it this past saturday, but we did the CFT unstead.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:37 PM
Odd, at my RSS, Gunny makes every NEW ATTENDANT (depped in or not) do their IST on their first function.

Tmac73
08-17-10, 06:40 PM
Its different every where I guess. We do one once a month apparently but in the winter time we only meet twice a month instead of every saturday

Rough Hands
08-19-10, 10:50 PM
I am slowly but surely improving my IST. Just have a lot of work to do on my crunches. I'm not sure why, but for some reason when it comes to crunches, I get "gun shy". At home I practice getting at least 50 in two minutes, but when I do it inside the RS, I have a hard time cranking out 25 or more.

I'm really going to put my ab work into overdrive, and do a lot more running. My flexed-arm hang is steadily climbing, so I'm not super worried about it, I'll definitely have it closer to a minute when I hit the Island.

BassPro0007
08-20-10, 01:00 AM

My recruiter is a gunny, we have a Master Sg. at every poolee function and most of them either the Sargent Major comes down or a Major. Consider yourself lucky. Sorry for spelling. A little... :beer: