PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join?

Hummel
07-04-10, 07:02 PM
I'm just wondering what everyones reason is for joining?

My reason, I love America. I love what its, what it has been, and what it can be.
I feel it is a personal responsibility to join and do what the generations before us have done. They gave us the rights we have and I feel I have to serve to make sure that the next generation will have the same rights, or even better.
I've always wanted to join the service. As long as I can remember I've wanted to join. That was galvanized on Sept. 11th in 2001. Even though I was very young I knew I had to. Every time I see pictures and video of that day It just makes me want to get to the fight even more.

Tell me why you joined....

Remember to respect everyones reasons.

wilsontc11
07-04-10, 10:00 PM
I figured if I were to join the military, I wanted to join and become the best. I want to be one of the few and proud.

WAR-Machine
07-04-10, 10:30 PM
I joined for many reasons.

I have a strong sense of duty to my country, for giving me and my parent's, grandparents, and so on, the opportunities to succeed. I felt I should return the favor.
I joined the Marine Corps, because they stand true to tradition. They are a brotherhood, a family, and never compromise. Plus they are the only branch in the military to never lose a major battle. Finally, they have the highest physical standards and they look badass in their dress blues. What women wouldn't find that attractive? haha

KevinL
07-04-10, 11:58 PM
My main reason I joined was for school so I could get my education.

But I have always been interested in the military and believe that all people should serve for their country. I also wanted to do something different from my other friends. Instead of just going to school getting a diploma and then a job.

Also being a called Marine sounds pretty badass too and those uniforms aint to bad either.

JP702
07-05-10, 02:46 AM
I've always been interested in the military, ever since I was a little kid. And as I grew older, the Marines slowly appealed to me more and more. I eventually enlisted and am now looking forward to boot camp.
I also feel a strong need to serve my beloved country. I emigrated here, and for some reason I feel like I owe a debt to the good ol' USA.

sparkie
07-05-10, 09:00 AM
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Yonkers
07-05-10, 02:47 PM
Wasn't there already a thread on this subject?

Joined cause I wanted to be as physically fit as possible and lay the base of the rest of my life. One of my ambitions in life is to have kids and be able to tell them all the stories of my life, more or less being the father I never had.

shadox
07-07-10, 07:55 AM
I joined because I wanted to serve my country, and to destroy anyone who threatened my country, my family, friends, and the American way of life. I also joined to be part of something bigger than myself, and the Marines are the best of the best.

the802
07-07-10, 01:06 PM
Kill!

Time Bandit
07-07-10, 01:46 PM
I joined because ever since I can remember I wanted to be a soldier. I had two grandfathers in the army, one who served in Korea and received two purple hearts. Have other family into other services. Joined because of the challenge, to see if I could do it. To put some pride behind my name, to be the first Marine in my family. I believe signing up to defend your country is just about the best thing you could ever do. Thousands of people died before us so we could have this country, I felt it was the least I could do. Last but not least the pride of belonging and the brotherhood, I felt it calling me.

the802
07-07-10, 01:57 PM
I joined because ever since I can remember I wanted to be a soldier.

There are no soldiers in the Marine Corps, only Marines.

32JJW0311
07-13-10, 09:52 AM
Kill!

I'm sorry but, dude seriously? Kill? More like murder! If you joined because you want to murder people "kill" you joined for the wrong reasons! Then you go and quote the other guy wrong. Marines are Marines but they are also apart of the United States Military! They are soliders but the best of the best we both know that and so does the army, navy and air force and their jelious!
You don't join to murder people. Do some more research, and please don't tell other people I joined to kill people it just sounds stupid no offense. But if you want to look and be a bad ass then do it, don't talk about it. If you go back and talk about how many people you murdered people will think your a dumb ass and not really a Marine but in the army. Army guys talk about killing people. Marines keep it to themselves because Marines are MEN! Now sorry for cracking down but I am going to be doing a job of killing to but that's not my reason for joining. So good luck, and I look forward to fight by your side.

Vloyanetes
07-13-10, 10:07 AM
I joined because it felt right. One morning I woke and decided that I wanted to do something that matters, and to me protecting the greatest country in the world matters a whole lot. I envy those who stand before me those whom already earned the title, but soon it will be my turn. This is where the few and the proud unite to form the greatest team anywhere in the world. God Bless The United States Marines.

32JJW0311
07-13-10, 10:39 AM
To make a differance. To provide leadership. Since I was 6 years old I have wanted to be a Marine. For the Challenge, the pride of belonging to something that has has a reason for belonging.
To fight for my country, and my family, and friends. I will not just sit back and watch the enemy rape and destroy my family or friends or country. I will go over there, and I will NOT fail or fall until every last enemy has fallen. So stand back enemy because I fear nothing and will stop at nothing.
Marines are not born they are made. But I was born to be made.

Hummel
07-13-10, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry but, dude seriously? Kill? More like murder! If you joined because you want to murder people "kill" you joined for the wrong reasons! Then you go and quote the other guy wrong. Marines are Marines but they are also apart of the United States Military! They are soliders but the best of the best we both know that and so does the army, navy and air force and their jelious!
You don't join to murder people. Do some more research, and please don't tell other people I joined to kill people it just sounds stupid no offense. But if you want to look and be a bad ass then do it, don't talk about it. If you go back and talk about how many people you murdered people will think your a dumb ass and not really a Marine but in the army. Army guys talk about killing people. Marines keep it to themselves because Marines are MEN! Now sorry for cracking down but I am going to be doing a job of killing to but that's not my reason for joining. So good luck, and I look forward to fight by your side.

I think you read it the wrong way. I'm sure he ment that in the motivated way. and I find wanting to KILL the enemy as a great reason to join. as General Mattis said "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people."

and if you think just joining to kill enemy is making it murder. then We are all going to be murders and I'd be damn proud to tout that.

sparkie
07-13-10, 06:29 PM
I joined because it felt right. One morning I woke and decided that I wanted to do something that matters, and to me protecting the greatest country in the world matters a whole lot. I envy those who stand before me those whom already earned the title, but soon it will be my turn. This is where the few and the proud unite to form the greatest team anywhere in the world. God Bless The United States Marines.

This is simple, nondescript, basic. I give this post an "A". Except for God bless the United States of America. Marines be dammed. LOL

I joined for Apple Pie myself. That and those John Wayne movies that made me want to be a small part of something bigger. I was that small part, and so proud of it. I wish you all well,,,,my little brothers and sisters. Do proud.:iwo:

RussMac12
07-13-10, 06:47 PM

So, those who serve in the Army aren't real MEN? You should really stop running your mouth when you have no idea what you're talking about. My father served in the Army as a Ranger, and he sure as he11 doesn't go around talking about killing people. Learn to show some respect to those who have actually fought for their country.

Now....to the point.... I joined for the challenge that being a Marine offers, to serve my country, and to carry on the family military tradition.

Hummel
07-13-10, 07:16 PM
Also, What did I put at the end of the starting post? Read that before you comment negativly on any post.

Rough Hands
07-14-10, 05:12 AM
RussMac12 makes an excellent point... 32JJW0311, we all understand that you're real gung-ho about joining the Marines, but settle down, dude. You may end up hearing your Drill Instructors, fellow recruits, infantry Marines, recon Marines, and even yourself shouting "KILL!" at the top of your lungs - It is a fairly common motivational cry.

Anyhow...

My eyes were opened to the Corps when I was 11-years-old and I had to do an ancestry/family history project for school. I asked my mom about her side of the family and she told me about her uncle. His name was Tommy L. Cloud, he was a Corporal of Marines. His fellow Marines called him "The Navajo", even though he was Cherokee. On 23 February 1945, Tommy died in the Battle of Iwo Jima; he was just 19. That was the very same day the flag was raised on Mt. Suribachi. There was no body to send home to his family, there was only a coffin filled with sandbags.

I didn't completely understand the magnitude of the story my mother told me, but as I grew older, I grew to understand. From then on, I wanted to be a Marine, and the more I found out about the Marines, the more I just wanted to be a part of the brother/sisterhood; to have the pride of belonging to such an elite force; the opportunity to serve and fight for my country alongside those individuals I looked up to so much.

I feel like I owe it to the memory of my great uncle, even if I never knew him, I'll never forget his sacrifice. I promised myself that one day I would set foot on Iwo Jima as a Marine, and I still intend on doing so.

32JJW0311
07-14-10, 08:39 AM
I think you read it the wrong way. I'm sure he ment that in the motivated way. and I find wanting to KILL the enemy as a great reason to join. as General Mattis said "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people."

and if you think just joining to kill enemy is making it murder. then We are all going to be murders and I'd be damn proud to tout that.

Understandable. But if that's your only reason for wanting to join you might as well join the army. Right? The question summed up was why do you want to join (The Marines!) I liked reading everyones but "kill" is not a good enough reason. Where are his goals for the military. I'm going to have someone fighting by my side I only want to kill them. Not I want to make this a better place or help out? So just killing is not a good enough reason to join the Marines. Maybe army. But Marines because of their History and how they are the toughest mother friggers around.

32JJW0311
07-14-10, 08:49 AM
So, those who serve in the Army aren't real MEN? You should really stop running your mouth when you have no idea what you're talking about. My father served in the Army as a Ranger, and he sure as he11 doesn't go around talking about killing people. Learn to show some respect to those who have actually fought for their country.

Now....to the point.... I joined for the challenge that being a Marine offers, to serve my country, and to carry on the family military tradition.

Ok sorry for offending you. I do respect the army and some are different. I'm just repeating what I've heard Marines say about army. Because I was a stupid one and asked a Marine how many people he killed and he's like what kind of question is that? Marines don't talk about that **** man, that's what the army does. So my apoligy. But the only people I've ever heard talk about killing people would be the army. So sorry for offending you. I respect everyone who has fought for our country. My grandfather fought in veitnam for the air force and I still hate the air force.

wilsontc11
07-14-10, 09:38 AM
Ok sorry for offending you. I do respect the army and some are different. I'm just repeating what I've heard Marines say about army. Because I was a stupid one and asked a Marine how many people he killed and he's like what kind of question is that? Marines don't talk about that **** man, that's what the army does. So my apoligy. But the only people I've ever heard talk about killing people would be the army. So sorry for offending you. I respect everyone who has fought for our country. My grandfather fought in veitnam for the air force and I still hate the air force.Ask someone in the Army about the Marines and they'll probably say something bad and vice versa. Don't take any of that crap seriously, its just brotherly rivalry

32JJW0311
07-14-10, 10:07 AM
Ask someone in the Army about the Marines and they'll probably say something bad and vice versa. Don't take any of that crap seriously, its just brotherly rivalry

Very true. Every branch talks bad about eachother such as, Marines=jarheads, bullet catchers, no common sense (I personally tell them to F OFF, but theres a navy guy where I work and he just told me at PT they run a mile and a half while Marines run two and a half. Um hum that tells me your guys really are a bunch of slackers) army=pretty much called the same as Marines but not exactly. Navy=seamen, etc, etc. Air Force= I don't even know I just know I heard even from guys from all branches they are the biggest slackers while everyones getting muddy and dirty they are in their tents drinking so idk.

RussMac12
07-14-10, 11:17 AM
Ok sorry for offending you. I do respect the army and some are different. I'm just repeating what I've heard Marines say about army. Because I was a stupid one and asked a Marine how many people he killed and he's like what kind of question is that? Marines don't talk about that **** man, that's what the army does. So my apoligy. But the only people I've ever heard talk about killing people would be the army. So sorry for offending you. I respect everyone who has fought for our country. My grandfather fought in veitnam for the air force and I still hate the air force.

Apology accepted, and my apologies for going off. However, as poolees, we've done nothing for our country other than sign a dotted line...We should show respect for all of those who have actually served. Don't take that BS about the Navy being lazy, or the Air Force being slackers seriously. Like wilsontc said, its just rivalry between the branches. So lets all show them the respect they deserve.

I have to disagree with you on the Army talking about killing though... I've never in my life spoken to a combat veteran who bragged about killing.

Now lets quit hijacking this thread and get back on topic.

32JJW0311
07-14-10, 11:43 AM
Apology accepted, and my apologies for going off. However, as poolees, we've done nothing for our country other than sign a dotted line...We should show respect for all of those who have actually served. Don't take that BS about the Navy being lazy, or the Air Force being slackers seriously. Like wilsontc said, its just rivalry between the branches. So lets all show them the respect they deserve.

I have to disagree with you on the Army talking about killing though... I've never in my life spoken to a combat veteran who bragged about killing.

Now lets quit hijacking this thread and get back on topic.

Right. I meant army national guard. But anyways.

Time Bandit
07-14-10, 08:08 PM
Its funny I read this right before this thread - Number 9 from DrZ's Wanna-bes and poolees post.

"If someone asks why you are joining the Marines, don't let your first answer be, "I want to kill someone." Believe me, combat is not like a video game and you will never be the same afterwards."

Kidding or not you'll eventually know if it was the right reason.

berts78
07-30-10, 05:54 PM
Didnt some1 ask this ? already?lol.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97412&page=2

Dillon
07-31-10, 04:24 PM
I want to serve humanity to the best of my ability, given my current status in life(poor as hell and no influential position), the Marine Corps would be that best of my ability.

Seriously if we go to war with North Korea and Iran I'd still want to join! You know what they say! The more the merrier!

:D

berts78
07-31-10, 11:41 PM
I want to serve humanity to the best of my ability, given my current status in life(poor as hell and no influential position), the Marine Corps would be that best of my ability.

Seriously if we go to war with North Korea and Iran I'd still want to join! You know what they say! The more the merrier!

:D

to be honest with ya i heard possibly china and russia to since they are allys. even tho "they say" (i didnt say) that china is more equipt than us and just as far as us if not farther with very much more people that we would lose...but how bout david and goliath? The Marines are like david with no fear! It takes someone without fear to stand up to the goliath and that would be the Marines.

Dillon
08-01-10, 02:29 PM
to be honest with ya i heard possibly china and russia to since they are allys. even tho "they say" (i didnt say) that china is more equipt than us and just as far as us if not farther with very much more people that we would lose...but how bout david and goliath? The Marines are like david with no fear! It takes someone without fear to stand up to the goliath and that would be the Marines.

Nah, people don't go to war just because they're allies anymore, if they did then there'd already have been a World War 3. Besides... nobody likes Kim Jung Il, he's one of the last remnants of the cold war.

It is true though that war with North Korea is becoming more plausible, I normally don't watch the news much but I have come across the sinking of the South Korean warship (though it could've been an old sea mine in my opinion).

I'm not joining the Marines due to nationalism (such a blind cause is what drove WWI on so long), nor am I doing it for patriotism, I'm not doing it for my country, and I'm not doing it for my family. My government is only the best of a bad situation right now... even with the 90,000 wikileaks (please not that they are 90,000 documents not 90,000 war crimes which the media is really try to put off.) So if I'm gonna serve the best I might as well be the best. Also I am very pleased that people can be openly gay in the military now, I am not gay myself but, I am 100% for equal rights and privileges.

There are only 2 types of people who Join the Marine Corps, those who genuinely care about the fate of the world and those that want to blow **** up. For most of us though... it's both. :beer:

Hummel
08-01-10, 09:53 PM
Didnt some1 ask this ? already?lol.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97412&page=2

This post came first. There was an un-educated poolee that couldn't read a whole post that seemed to try to hijack the thread and got tore into, he started that other one after.

Hummel
08-01-10, 09:57 PM

China isn't as equiped as much as the US. Do a little research, they are Afraid of the Japanese military, and the Japanese military is tiny compared to us. Not to mention our 3,000 + Nuclear warheads and having over a dozen of the 20 or so Aircraft carriers in the world. Most advanced Tanks... best trained military... and ect... and ect.

Cardboardbox
08-01-10, 11:23 PM
I think people tend to forget.. U.S. Marines > China's whole military. haha

berts78
08-02-10, 12:00 AM
haha well thanks Hummel and cardboardbox. yeah i didnt know that about china i just heard that so thanks ill go google it now haha.

C Wiemers
08-03-10, 03:34 PM
I'll probably get my head ripped off, but I kinda just went in one day.

Always wanted to join the Air Force, since I was like 12, wanted to fly the F/A-22 SO BAD. But then I found out all the requirements to becoming a pilot. Have to go in as an Officer, have a degree, go to the Air Force Academy, Get a Pilot's Licsense, etc. I was almost willing to do it, but then found out you can't go in if you don't have un-corrected 20/20. (I know, Laser Surgery is there, but still.)

I finally got a job, 7 months of looking AFTER I graduated (Vegas has like a 15% unemployment rate). The day I got my job, I walked into the West Vegas Station, and walked into the Army Office, told him I'd think about it, he said he wouldn't harrass me, thought that was cool.

About 3 months into my job, I had to get out of it, I didn't have another job lined up, and working with people with Special Needs (Mentally), wasn't cutting it for me (although the money was decent). So, one day after work, I went to the gym, I was thinking about it real hard, and said to myself "f*** it, I'm going into the military", I went to the same West Vegas Station, sat in the Parking Lot for 20 minutes and went in. Saw the Army, then the Marines right next to it, said screw it, and went into the Marine Office. The looked intimidating at first, all 4 of them, SSgt. Collagrassi, and Sgt's. Eastridge, Munoz and Herrera especially. I sat down with (then Sgt. Now SSgt.) Munoz and told her I wanted to join the military, but that if I was going to, I was going to join the best. She told me to do my pullups and crunches (7, and like 60 something), then told me to come to PT on Thursday.

Went to PT, and god, I realized how out of shape I was, I felt embarassed that my 1.5mile run was 13-something, when Abel's ass ran it in less than 8.

In a nuthshell, I kinda just went in. And I just kept walking straight, instead of turning right, to the Army.

I ship Sept. 21, Motor T Mechanic. Greatly improved my PT scores. 14 Dead Hang Pull-Ups has been my best. 127 crunches has been my best, my run still unfortunately is lacking, 10:45. You'd think long legs would help. . . . . they don't seem to.