PDA

View Full Version : Young guns - Corps has new 'fortunate sons'

thedrifter
09-16-03, 08:28 AM
Young guns - Corps has new 'fortunate sons'
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003912141626
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(September 12, 2003) -- For many families, the Marine Corps is a tradition, passed down through the generations. Perhaps the most famous example of that is Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, and his son, 1st Lt. Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Chesty is arguably the most famous Marine in history, earning five Navy Crosses and commanding victory in many battles. His son saw combat in the Vietnam War and later became a lawyer and advocate for disabled veterans. This father and son duo is infamous in Marine Corps history.

Four young men from Company C have made the decision to follow in their fathers' footsteps and accept the challenge of becoming U.S. Marines.

PFC Brandon Staggs, Platoon 1005, Co. C, said he has some big shoes to fill. Those shoes belong to Master Gunnery Sgt. Albert L. Staggs, Corporals Course director, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Master Gunnery Sgt. Staggs, a 28-year Marine Corps veteran, said he is not at all surprised by his son's decision.

"Brandon has been in (JROTC) since he was in ninth grade," said Master Gunnery Sgt. Staggs. "I am just thankful that he took advantage of his opportunity to become a Marine."

PFC Staggs' military family began in the Army in World War I with his great grandfather.

"I just want to make my dad proud," said PFC Staggs. "I have a lot of military history in my family, and I want to keep the tradition. My father was a great role model, and I saw what I wanted to become."

PFC Staggs plans to attend college and enroll in the Platoon Leaders Course, which will allow him to earn a commission upon college graduation.

"Pride is something we try not to admit," said Master Gunnery Sgt. Staggs. "But as a Marine, it's hard not to be proud and I couldn't be happier with Brandon's decision."

Retired Lt. Col. Bob Parker, now assistant chief of staff, Marine Corps Community Services, was commissioned in the Marine Corps in 1965 in Tennessee. He was the first Marine in his family, but as of today, he's no longer the only one.

Private Clay Parker, Platoon 1005, Co. C, walks across the parade deck today as a Marine. His father said he couldn't have a better opinion of it.

"I am very proud," said Lt. Col. Parker. "He's been talking about the Marine Corps for years, but I haven't steered him toward it. He came to the decision on his own."

Private Parker said he's always wanted to be a Marine and his father always led by example.

"My dad would always take me around Marines and my questions were always answered," said Pvt. Parker. "I was always impressed with how Marines live and carry themselves. I knew that's what I wanted."

Pvt. Parker, like Pvt. Staggs, is set on becoming an officer. He plans to attend college and go through the Platoon Leaders Course to earn his commission.

"My father is happy and proud of me," said Pvt. Parker. "I hope I can do as well as he did."

A portion of recruit training is spent at Weapons and Field Training Battalion, Camp Pendleton, commanded by Col. Robert P. Wagner III.

Freshly graduated from Platoon 1008, Co. C, is Pvt. Robert Wagner, Col. Wagner's son. He said he's wanted to be a Marine for a long time.

"I was a kid when my dad came home from Desert Storm," said Pvt. Wagner. "I put on his gear and played in the back yard and pretended like I was a Marine. Since then, I've really wanted to be one."

Colonel Wagner said he wasn't surprised by his son's decision for the most part.

"It surprised me he enlisted this summer," said Col. Wagner. "The plan was for him to go to college first, but he wanted to be a Marine and not wait four years to do it."

Pvt. Wagner said he also wanted a taste of enlisted life, like his dad, a former enlisted man and drill instructor.

Forcing the Marine Corps on his son was never one of Col. Wagner's goals, and he did a good job of not pressuring, according to Pvt. Wagner.

"My dad was always there for me," said Pvt. Wagner. "He kept me around Marines, but he never pushed the issue. It was my decision."

Also from Co. C is PFC Ryan Sweet, Platoon 1008. His father, Gunnery Sgt. William R. Sweet, is an instructor for Naval ROTC, University of Washington.

"I feel proud to serve with my father," said Pvt. Sweet. "Now I know what it's like to be a Marine and it's uplifting."

Gunnery Sgt. Sweet shares a similar opinion about serving alongside his son.

"I am extremely proud and honored to serve with a fine young man, such as my son," said Sweet.

Though these Marines may not have the reputations of Chesty Puller and his son, they all strive toward greatness and look to achieve great things in their own rite.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200391214201/$file/sons_lr.jpg

(counter-clockwise from top left) Privates First Class Ryan Sweet and Brandon Staggs, and Privates Clay Parker and Robert Wagner of Company C look to step out of their fathers' shadows and begin their own Marine Corps legacies.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

The Drifter

:marine: