PDA

View Full Version : My blog from boot camp

Warcrazy
06-24-10, 09:23 PM
I hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm a fairly fresh Marine, been in for a year and a half now. I noticed before I joined the Marine Corps, when I was searching for information on Boot Camp and the School of Infantry, that there really wasn't much to go off of. Just small stories and some advice here and there. So while at boot camp I decided to write a journal where each letter would detail the past few days (what had happened, how I was feeling, things that surprised me, etc.) I mailed these letters to my girlfriend who posted them to a blog.

Here is the link bertroche.blogspot.com (http://bertroche.blogspot.com) To go to the beginning, kindly scroll down to the bottom of the page, click "Older Posts", then scroll down to the bottom again.

This is mainly intended for poolees (although I know Marines love to have a nostalgic day every now and then), which is why I wanted to post it in the poolee forum as I noticed the testimonial forum isn't as frequently inhabited. Either way I'm glad to finally be able to find a place to post this.

Enjoy, Ladies and Gentlemen.

firedog974
06-24-10, 09:54 PM

I'm a fairly fresh Marine, been in for a year and a half now. I noticed before I joined the Marine Corps, when I was searching for information on Boot Camp and the School of Infantry, that there really wasn't much to go off of. Just small stories and some advice here and there. So while at boot camp I decided to write a journal where each letter would detail the past few days (what had happened, how I was feeling, things that surprised me, etc.) I mailed these letters to my girlfriend who posted them to a blog.

Here is the link bertroche.blogspot.com (http://bertroche.blogspot.com) To go to the beginning, kindly scroll down to the bottom of the page, click "Older Posts", then scroll down to the bottom again.

This is mainly intended for poolees (although I know Marines love to have a nostalgic day every now and then), which is why I wanted to post it in the poolee forum as I noticed the testimonial forum isn't as frequently inhabited. Either way I'm glad to finally be able to find a place to post this.

I am not sure where I first saw the link, but I read your blog while you were in boot. There were only a few entries at the time I read it, but it was very impressive. I just glanced at it since reading this post, and I am certain it was yours I was reading earlier. I have to tip my hat to you Marine. First, and foremost, for accepting the challenge to become part of our family, and succeeding. For that, I say Congratulations, and welcome aboard. Secondly, you truly have a gift in your writing. You have a way of brining people in and grabbing their attention. The details of your experience are graphic and paint quite a picture. I am no expert, and I do not read a lot of books. What I do know is the writings in your online "journal" is good stuff. Keep it up. You have a gift, so make the best use of it. :usmc:

gkmoz
06-25-10, 08:36 AM
Good stuff Marine ! Talk about thinking back ? very similar experiences as you going thru boot. Hungry all the time !! for one . Moz 68-70 USMC S/F

Mledford
06-28-10, 05:37 PM
Great blog. Even though I'm not going to MCRD SD, I still feel somewhat prepared for the challenge I have ahead of me.

Thanks

temarti
06-28-10, 08:28 PM
Good stuff!

sbryson21
07-07-10, 12:18 AM
Thanks Marine! Greatly appreciated!

DBrown
07-19-10, 08:18 AM
Awesome blog, started reading it and couldn't stop! Congratulations Marine!

davidlee2010
08-08-10, 08:54 PM
Just read. Intriguing.

kman311
08-08-10, 11:51 PM
I also enjoyed reading the blog.
Don't remember ever mopping the floor or spending time in the bathroom though. Was that a San Diego thing?
At PI we swabbed decks and went to the head,vbg

ScarSniper
09-07-10, 09:04 AM

Damn. I've got no words. Thank you. I now have an idea of what to expecy from bootcamp (Parris Island, not San Diego) But...wow.

JNelson
09-17-10, 04:34 PM
Thank you for posting your blog Warcrazy, it's awesome to read about Boot Camp and find things to motivate ourselves while we wait and prepare to go.

GySgtRet
09-17-10, 06:23 PM
I was never a Drill Instructor but I bet you did some imitation of yours while you were there with the changes of them during 2nd Phase. I enjoyed the read. It did bring back stuff from Parris Island, all good memories and how when we got new DIs the platoon was a mess for a while. I think this is by design? At any rate good job and congratulations even though this happened over a year and a half ago.

Semper Fi
Gunny out:usmc:

felix319
09-17-10, 11:45 PM
AWESOME!
thanks a lot man

devilmaycry
10-08-10, 12:51 PM
Thanks dude. Really nice site.

Warcrazy
11-29-10, 12:33 PM
Don't remember ever mopping the floor or spending time in the bathroom though. Was that a San Diego thing?
I'm surprised you did not spend much time mopping. We spent at least 2 hours every day making sure the head was spotless.

Also, thank you to everyone for you support and comments. As always, feel free to message me with any questions.

Pwork703
02-17-11, 11:07 PM
Great stuff man, thanks for such a good inside look.

-Poolee Workman

leprechaun9544
02-18-11, 12:56 AM
Warcrazy, have read through your blog and found it interesting and extremely well written and presented. You indeed have a talent Marine, hope you keep it up.....Oooh-Rah :flag:

Visor15
03-01-11, 05:43 PM

Sir, I must say that your blog was the most personable, and descriptive tale I have yet read of what it's like to go through boot camp. Seriously, I would like to applaud your writing skills.:thumbup:
It's the first source I have read details of what the experience is like day to day, both emotionally and physically. I think the emotional hardships you painted a picture of are the things that scare me the most. Although I have to say I nearly **** my pants, with both laughter and fear, when you described what its like to be IT'd by the DIs.
Thank you for this.

Screw becoming a shrink. You should be a writer. You've got the skills.

SPhiladelphia
07-20-11, 01:47 PM
That blog was an awesome read. Hopefully, I can make it through Boot Camp like you did!

Tennessee Top
07-20-11, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised you did not spend much time mopping. We spent at least 2 hours every day making sure the head was spotless.

Also, thank you to everyone for you support and comments. As always, feel free to message me with any questions.

You missed the point. We don't "mop" in the sea services, we "swab". Have not read your blog so don't know if you missed the class on naval terminology.

YLDNDN6
09-12-11, 03:02 AM
Joseph...Everything you described in there was right out of the Recruit Training Manual or something. The substitutions, Daddy withdrawing his love and calling us the garbage platoon, everything! Sounds like they still go by the book with Boot Camp. Although, if we had ever laid hands on another recruit or jumped line for any reason in the chow hall our bodies would have never been found.....great blog and I am sure very helpful to the up and coming hopefuls.

NCEstey
01-23-12, 04:54 PM
Fantastic, Congrats!

Balty
01-26-12, 07:40 PM
This should be required reading for poolees, fantastic

Apache
01-27-12, 03:11 PM
OUTSTANDING MARINE
Thanks for sharing

jjaxs
03-20-12, 09:23 AM
Nice! I really enjoyed reading your blog about boot. It really answered some of the questions i've thought about as a Marine Corps Poolee. Thanks again, Semper Fi.

jp2usmc
03-20-12, 12:37 PM
The good thing about holding your M16 at arm's length is that you can put them down as soon as everybody is holding theirs up, too.

Gotta love that one!

Ray Merrell
05-13-12, 08:24 AM
Congratulations Visor15 on your journal writings, they will be a forever keepsake that you will appreciate having many years from now. Very nice! Gung Ho, Ray

ameriken
08-16-12, 10:48 PM
Great blog, I loved your description of Sgt Ponce, which almost exactly described Sgt Reed in my platoon back in 1976: "Sgt. Ponce is our little pittbull. He's always in someone's face screaming and cursing at them. The best part is he's about 5 feet tall and never runs out of energy." That is Sgt Reed to a 'tee'. Short, mean, extremely energetic, and always in our face screaming and cursing. I think everyone in our platoon would agree he was primary DI that molded us back then. And actually, your description of your other DI's fit ours as well.

Good work, you'll really love this blog in another 20 or 30 years or so.

jcd89
07-29-13, 02:26 AM

At PI we did rags on the floor. folded in 3 like the towels, single file line shoulder to shoulder, no knees touching the floor. If anyone of us did, we start back on quarter deck towards rear hatch. Do they still do this?