PDA

View Full Version : BAH in Boot Camp

Poolee24
06-23-10, 11:09 AM
I’m 24 years old, Married with one kid, and have a mortgage. I know that I get BAH while in Boot Camp. Does anyone know how I use it? Do I need to set up some kind of payment plan? Or can I make the house payment while in Boot Camp?

il duce
06-23-10, 03:47 PM
No, you will not be able to send money or allow your wife access to your pay while in Boot Camp. It is direct-deposited into an account that only you have access to.

Contact your mortgage co and inquire about the Civil Service Relief Act. It allows you to skip up to 90 days (3mos) of mortgage payments with no additional interest or penalty

I would suggest having at least 3mos of expenses (besides mortgage) saved back so your wife and kid can eat and have electricity while youre gone. Your recruiter should see to this as well before you ship

I too went to Boot while married w a kid and a mortgage so PM if u have any questions

il duce
06-23-10, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah, the only time we were given the option to use our money outside of the px was the week before graduation and it was to purchase a plane ticket home or fly a family member to graduation

Poolee24
06-23-10, 04:03 PM
Ok, I will do that. Thanks for the help! Is it true that I will receive BAH while in Boot Camp? I just can't use it, correct?..

Melancon
06-24-10, 06:50 AM
Yes, you do get BAH while in boot camp. As a Private, i was banking over $1,100 per paycheck. You will be able to send money home to your family if needed. Not often but if your wife writes a letter saying they're having money issues, you're SDI can take you to the bank to get a money order. I saw it done quite a few times when i was there.

echo3oscar1833
06-24-10, 08:06 AM
Yes, Yes, and Yes, as the one Marine said above if your wife is having money issues, and tells you about it your SDI will hook you up. No one is that big of a dick, including Drill Instructors.:thumbup:

Poolee24
06-24-10, 08:10 AM
Thanks for your help Marines!