PDA

View Full Version : Air Wing Sea Deployments

New Jersey
06-22-10, 05:44 PM
Hello Marines,

I am exploring all my MOS options and want some information on the arircraft maintenance field. How often do you get deployed working in the Air wing? Also, can they be deployed on aircraft carriers and if so how often is this. I like this MOS but the only thing holding me back is that I want to get some deployment opportunities.

Thank you, Marines.

eazyrider
06-22-10, 09:03 PM
You will get plenty of chances. If that is holding you up consider yourself un-held.

boblasek
06-23-10, 10:47 PM
Just hope you don't get a training squadron. You wont go anywhere.

WXSgt
06-28-10, 02:16 PM
my friend used to be with VMFA-115 out of beaufort, sc. he did numerous deployments in country on carriers and even one out to iwakuni japan. if you are with a normal non training squadron youll deploy all the time. i believe he basically did one a year. now me i was with mals (higher lvl maintenance) and i never deployed in 7 years. it depends on which aviation maintenance MOS you get

blackup
06-28-10, 02:25 PM
I was with MALS 11/16 and 13 and deployed twice, once to OEF and once with 31st (thirty worst) MEU. Both were voluntary, I deployed alone from my shop (MALS doesn't pack up and go as a whole like squadrons do) and I was given more or less priority because I was still single and had all my green side training done. I'd say about half of MALS people deploy in their first contract, although in both shops I had staff NCOs who never went to Iraq/OEF and sergeants with two ribbons.

WXSgt
06-28-10, 03:51 PM
yes im sorry if i was misleading about mals i spent 3 years in japan overseas so i was at the bottom of the list to deploy and i am married. also blackup which shop in 11/16? i just came from there feb 09 worked in supply and powerplants and avionics supply point

blackup
06-30-10, 03:11 PM
AVI and 990.

WXSgt
07-02-10, 10:38 AM
ok i used to work in the satellite supply that dealt with yall. i was the NCOIC when i was there in late 08 early 09