PDA

View Full Version : i need your help marines!!

AnDc11
06-21-10, 11:05 AM
hello marines
I am in need of you guys help. please assist me and answer three questions:
1. Ive been talking with a local recruter and he says i need to go to the "meps" before i can join. he said there is a physical, is it the physical you take in school to play sports? i have diabetes but he said to not mention it because it is mild. But my freind told me i can get kicked out of the military if i lie to the meps. Is that true??
2. I have been looking at MOSes online but i cant decide what i want to do in the marines. Do i get to pick the specific one i want? I cant decide between food servece or tanks. i love to cook but i think tanks would give me a good job when i get out. :tank:
3. I am graduating high school next year (2011) but i only took basic classes, will this affect me? I talked to a navy recruter one time and he said i have to take advanced classes...is that true about the Marines?? I hope not because it is my dream to be a MARINE :flag:
4. How challenging is boot camp compared to the armys basic training? my friend joined the army last year and he says that basic training is not that hard. i dont like that because i want a challenge but at the same time i dont want to die. could i die in boot camp? I have heard of people drowning during the swim test.
Thank you guys for your time MARINES! My questoins may be a little dumb but anyways thanks for all you do.

AnDc11
06-21-10, 12:38 PM
I also forgot to add that Im a little overwieght. My recruter said i need to lose like 15 pounds. I run every other day but the farthest I can run is a mile and a half. After that I get out of breath and I have to eat a few candy bars to keep my diabetes from acting up. how can i improve my endurance?

KidnapSix
06-21-10, 01:29 PM
First off its spelt "Recruiter"

Too be honest man in your condition I dont think it would be possible. Especially if you need to eat some candy bars after running a mile and a half. Sounds like it could be a serious health issue and a dangerous one at that if you try to go without disclosing the information. For the PFT you need to be able to run 3 miles. And there are a lot of humps 6+ miles. Can you do that without needing to eat sugar? Because they arent going to give you candy bars.

Zulu 36
06-21-10, 01:38 PM
If your blood sugar is that out-of-control, endurance is the least of your problems. &quot;Mild&quot; diabetes is still diabetes. It is a PDQ. <br />
<br />
Do not lie to MEPS. Blood sugar problems like yours can be...

AnDc11
06-21-10, 04:18 PM
You're right. I wont lie at meps. if im DQ'd then I guess Ill just have to live with it. Thanks for your time.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-21-10, 06:53 PM
Diabeties is an instant DQ. Doesn't matter if you mention it or not, blood test will reveal it. Sorry but that, as they say, is that.

eazyrider
06-22-10, 09:13 PM
I understand your desire but I don't see it happening my man. Hey at least your heart was in the right place. There are times where ah, not revealing certain information is acceptable, but this isn't one of them. Honestly I question your recruiters judgement, he should know better.

tdrt
06-22-10, 09:29 PM
I understand your desire but I don't see it happening my man. Hey at least your heart was in the right place. There are times where ah, not revealing certain information is acceptable, but this isn't one of them. Honestly I question your recruiters judgement, he should know better.

I agree! Diabetes is diabetes -- mild or not -- and something you definately don't want to screw around with.

Sorry kiddo. Wish we had the answers you wanted.

sparkie
06-25-10, 09:04 PM
Make for yourself a good life,,,,, I wish you all the best,,,