PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions.

Jordan2108
06-19-10, 03:51 PM
Hello Marines. So im planning on joining DEP this summer. Im 17 years old. I am 5ft 11, weigh 153lbs. I can do 16 pull ups and 150 crunches in a minute. I was supposed to go up to MEPS to take my physical and ASVAB last thursday but the doctor didn't approve anyone to come up this weekend. So this is the 3rd time its been postponed. I scored a 79 on my Pre-ASVAB.

ROTC Questions

1.I really want to go ROTC any suggestions on what I should do to make myself stand out more to get into ROTC?

2. Also anyone that has been through ROTC any advice?

3. My recruiter told me that Ill submitt for the ROTC scholarship and go enlisted. If my scholarship gets accepted then my enlistment gets canceled and I go ROTC.
DEP Questions

I really like my recruiter, iv done a lot of research and talked to my uncle and a few of my Marine buddies and hes been telling me straight up with everything. None of my buddies have done DEP though so they haven't been able to answer this question for me.

SSGT Daniels told me that if I enlist DEP I have to sign in open contract. EVERYONE iv talked to has told me not to sign open contract no matter what. He told me that I have to go open contract but by the end of my DEP ill have the job I want and if I dont have the job i want then I don't have to go. He said the reason for this is that they can't hold a job for me for a year.

Anyone that has been through DEP do you have any advice?

Thanks for reading and for the replies :)

WXSgt
06-19-10, 04:43 PM
myself ive never heard of anyone having to sign an open contract and if you do have your heart set on becoming an officer you need to understand that if you do it his way there still is a decent chance you wont get accepted then your stuck with an open contract where ever the Marine Corps wants you. This has happened to several of my Marines and they still arent officers. Im not saying that he doesnt know what hes talking about as im not a recruiter but the open contract thing is odd

thezero
06-19-10, 04:46 PM
How have your buddies not done DEP? Did they sign then go straight to MEPS then boot? Everyone is in DEP, that is part between enlisting and going to MCRD. When you enlist you enlist in an open contract but you can sign for you job as soon as your in. The best advice is don't go to boot with an open contract because you will be at the needs of the Marine Corps but a lot of guys I know that have done that haven't been getting sh*tty jobs. Can't help with ROTC

Jordan2108
06-19-10, 05:15 PM
Thanks. I'll talk to him some more about the open contract deal. Yes Officer is something I feel I am being called toward. I don't know what MOS I want. My top 2 are Intel, and MP's. I want something that will help me get a job when i get out.

Rocky C
06-19-10, 06:04 PM
Go Intel.
You'll be Glad You did.........

Phantom Blooper
06-19-10, 06:21 PM
Couple of Questions.

You asked more than a couple of questions........:evilgrin:

Wyoming
06-19-10, 06:40 PM
You asked more than a couple of questions........:evilgrin:

I've always wondered when a boat became a ship.:confused:

Jordan2108
06-20-10, 04:41 PM
Rhode Island, thats my main choice, because I want something that will set me up for a job when I get out of the Corps. I don't want to be sitting behind a desk my whole Marine Corps career though so im not sure yet. I'll have to talk to my recruiter and see if there is any field intel jobs.