PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Training

jackjack1992
06-19-10, 02:59 AM
I will be going to Recruit Training at Parris Island, SC on monday june 21, 2010 and i was wondering what all should i be worried about, and for all of the MARINES im wondering if you were scared before you left and if so how scared were you? I am kinda scared now, but i know its what i need to do i've always wanted to be a MARINE but i am looking for knowledge on what helped you get through through Recruit Training and what you think might help me?

eazyrider
06-19-10, 10:55 AM
It's normal to be scared, we all were. When you get there you will be thinking that you made a mistake and you will want to go home. I did, it was a shcok to realize that I just couldn't get up and leave when I wanted. It was strange and very uncomfortable. But I was not there alone. There were hundreds of other recruits going through the same thing. I just kept thinking that a whole bunch of people had gone through it and so would I. The first few weeks are the hardest. You get into the flow of things after a while. When that bus pulls up get ready because the world as you know it is about to explode. And wait for black Friday. Those Drill Instructors go crazy man. Just remember that boot camp is mostly scripted. It's a test that's all. You can pass it you just have to have confidence. It's going to be hard, it's going to hurt at times. But you will make it.

ameriken
06-19-10, 12:25 PM
I am kinda scared now, but i know its what i need to do i've always wanted to be a MARINE but i am looking for knowledge on what helped you get through through Recruit Training and what you think might help me?

I dont think there is any knowledge per se that will help you get through RT. Being scared is one of your greatest advantages. That fear inside you triggers the deep down internal desire and motivation to succeed.

Just work hard, learn hard, PT hard, do what you're told and do it well, and you will do just fine.

Here's another similar topic with some replies:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96685

Good luck :flag:

Zulu 36
06-19-10, 01:54 PM
Get and read the book, The Gift of Fear, by Gavin De Becker. It's written in plain language for the average person. It explains how fear is a perfectly normal response and how you can use fear to your advantage.

If you are a good reader and have time, you can also read De Becker's book Fear Less.

If you have to pick only one, get The Gift of Fear.

SGT7477
06-19-10, 05:28 PM
No way to prepare for it, every one of us Marines could write a book on it, Good Luck.

Rocky C
06-19-10, 05:33 PM
No way to prepare for it, every one of us Marines could write a book on it, Good Luck.

Exactly!!!:usmc:

Good Luck to You :thumbup:

SGTBrentG
06-19-10, 05:52 PM
It's already been said......no way to be 100% ready. If you aren't physically ready, it's too late and you will get in shape quick. You are getting ready to undertake, undoubtedly, the most mentally demanding task of your life. Keep your head up, maintain a positive attitude and convince yourself that you will not be denied. You'll be fine! Good luck to you!

Komenko
06-19-10, 06:06 PM
when you leave for the Island, don't take anything with you other than the shirt on your back! first couple of days you will be in processing so plan on not getting any sleep! And like everyone said, every recruit is scared of whats going to happen! the fear is not knowning how its going to happen. If you do as your told the first time then you won't have the DI chasing your butt down to chew you a new one lol. stay motivated, PT hard, and study everything they give you, then you will get through the toughest challenge of your life! nothing before this compairs to what your about to embark on!

Wyoming
06-19-10, 06:29 PM
This is all you need.

tgwkreu7
06-19-10, 07:25 PM
i am a former D I in the early 1950's keep your mouth shut and everything is done double time when you are told to do time the being scare will leave you in a day or two guaranteed it's hard but have a good time you will remember alot about boot camp
joe kreuz

HunterWPIChE
06-20-10, 02:45 PM
Again, most has been said above. I will say: Do not have a bad attitude about anything you do in Recruit Training. I don't care how much something sucks - always remember that "it's good training." That's something that will help you to get you through it. Good Luck!