PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Gunner?

usmc92
06-18-10, 02:52 PM
Hello to all Marines on leatherneck, Right now im talking with my recruiter about infantry and im getting alot more interested in this field then i previously was. My friend who is a Poole is leaving for boot on August 9th as a Chopper Gunner.
I didnt know they had this MOS, and i dont know whats the real name for it, so if any Marines on here can provide some information on it, it would be appreciated thank you.

Wyoming
06-18-10, 03:41 PM
Chopper Gunner???

firedog974
06-18-10, 04:03 PM
Chopper Gunner???
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0906/*****en-chick-hot-bike-motorcycle-gun-m4-m16-demotivational-poster-1245449927.jpg
I hear it is a *****en job

firedog974
06-18-10, 04:11 PM
Fail on my last. Here is what I was trying to post.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-18-10, 06:30 PM
Aviation Crew chief, believe it or not, is what you are thinking of.

Wyoming
06-18-10, 07:19 PM
Aviation Crew chief, believe it or not, is what you are thinking of.

Now I get it.:confused:

Me, me, me.:D

Twas me.:bunny:

ritter
06-18-10, 07:36 PM
Are you sure because there are chopper gunners on Call of Duty.

Wyoming
06-18-10, 11:20 PM
Gunners were not an MOS.

Crew Chief was.

Gunners were and could be anyone, twidgets, bubble chasers, tin benders, admin, supply, whatever.

eazyrider
06-19-10, 01:04 AM
You also don't get to pick your bird so you may end up on a 46 or 53. Not a whole lot of action on those. That is a 5 year enlistment to do that so be advised. Basically crew chiefs are Flightline guys that also fly. They work on the birds more than they fly in them. But they do fly and it can be fun.

usmc92
06-19-10, 01:22 AM
You also don't get to pick your bird so you may end up on a 46 or 53. Not a whole lot of action on those. That is a 5 year enlistment to do that so be advised. Basically crew chiefs are Flightline guys that also fly. They work on the birds more than they fly in them. But they do fly and it can be fun.

Oh, i didnt know that it was an extra year. Im guessing its all the extra traning that you have to go through? so its tottaly random whether your a combat oriented crew chief or one that just checks on choppers? if thats the case ill have to think if thats the chance im willing to take, and yea i would much rather be the guy in the helicopter then just work on them from the ground, i could join the airforce to do that lol.

eazyrider
06-19-10, 01:30 AM
All crew chiefs fly. At least on the Rotar side. It's just that cargo helicopters don't fight often where as the Huey does. That is the difference.

usmc92
06-19-10, 01:42 AM
All crew chiefs fly. At least on the Rotar side. It's just that cargo helicopters don't fight often where as the Huey does. That is the difference.

So is it tottaly random whether your assigned to cargo helo's? Are all crew chiefs the same or are their different types of crew chiefs that you can apply for?

eazyrider
06-19-10, 01:45 AM
It's been a while so things may have changed but a recruiter could tell you. I would imagine it's still the needs of the Corps but I don't know for sure.

WXSgt
06-19-10, 02:09 AM
c130's also have crew chiefs.

usmc92
06-19-10, 02:32 AM
c130's also have crew chiefs.

AC130's you mean? yea im really interested in planes, helicopters etc and being in the air, im also interested in infantry. even if im not the one doing the combat on a helo/plane it would be fine with me as long as im on one i hear its a blast and i know alot of people resign after their enlistment is over to do it again. I would hate to get stuck on a cargo helo. talk about a crummy way to get deployed to afghan.

eazyrider
06-19-10, 09:19 AM
The Corps has no ac-130's. Also WXSGT I believe they are called loadmasters on the Herc. Correct me I am wrong. I do believe that it is the same contract option, again luck of the draw. As to the OP don't talk about a crummy way to get deployed. Cargo helo's do a lot more to help the war effort than you think. You kids seem to have this image of the military when you don't even know how it works. Let me fill you in on something. Huey gunners don't shoot as often as you would think. The Cobras take care of most of that. Sure Huey gunners do shoot from time to time but most of the time they just sit and watch or they shoot at targets that they can barely see. Get the image of Vietnam out of your head. If you truly want to fight then go Grunt. Besides as a junior crew chief most of the time you will be doing the crap jobs while senior guys get to fly combat missions.

WXSgt
06-19-10, 03:27 PM
no i mean regular old c130's and again not all chiefs are gunners they just fly with the aircraft

WXSgt
06-19-10, 03:35 PM
The Corps has no ac-130's. Also WXSGT I believe they are called loadmasters on the Herc. Correct me I am wrong.

With all aircrew you go to school and then are given their aircraft. The ones that got C130 are required to go through Powerplants school as well as they did with me. they are regular old crew chiefs not load masters. had quite a few friends that did that

thezero
06-19-10, 04:53 PM
AC130's you mean? yea im really interested in planes, helicopters etc and being in the air, im also interested in infantry. even if im not the one doing the combat on a helo/plane it would be fine with me as long as im on one i hear its a blast and i know alot of people resign after their enlistment is over to do it again. I would hate to get stuck on a cargo helo. talk about a crummy way to get deployed to afghan.

Hate to burst your bubble, the Marine Corps does not have AC-130's do a little research. The Marine Corps right now has the KC-130 Hercules but that is being phased out by the new KC-130J. There has been rumors of us making a few KC-130's into AC-130's though.

If you are looking into being in Air Crew, expect a long ass wait while you are Pensacola. You have a lot of pre-flight screenings before you class up and if you can't swim then you are held there until you learn or DOR (Drop On Request). If you wan't to be on Huey's or a "Gunner" you need to have 20/20 or better, if you don't have perfect vision you will be stuck on C-130's. I have friends in the Air Crew school in Pensacola, then there are load masters and crew chiefs here so my info is pretty much right on. Also before you even go to school for your aircraft you will have to go through SERE school as well.

They are also making Crew Chiefs and Load Masters into the same thing. They have been trying a new thing and are putting the Marines through both CC school and Load master, but it hasn't affected all of the Marines yet, because they are still trying to get it smoothed out

Komenko
06-19-10, 05:15 PM

Ch-46 is being phased out for the V-22.

usmc92
06-20-10, 08:20 PM
Is it hard to get crew chief? i see that their is alot of MOS's in the 60XX-62XX. Also i see that next to each of the crewchiefs it says CH-46, CH-53, and UH-1 are those different helicopters?

Whats a tiltrotor crew chief? Sorry about all the questions i really love being in the air i wish their was some MOS in the Marines that required Jump School but it looks like you have to be in recon to do that.

Komenko
06-20-10, 08:31 PM
Is it hard to get crew chief? i see that their is alot of MOS's in the 60XX-62XX. Also i see that next to each of the crewchiefs it says CH-46, CH-53, and UH-1 are those different helicopters?

Whats a tiltrotor crew chief? Sorry about all the questions i really love being in the air i wish their was some MOS in the Marines that required Jump School but it looks like you have to be in recon to do that.

Tiltrotor crew chief is for the V-22 Osprey. As for jump school you don't need to be in recon to get it. I've seen Marines get it as a reenlistment incentive.

hussaf
06-21-10, 12:08 AM
First, let me say I hope an extra year is not a deal breaker for you. If it is, rethink joining the Corps. If not, no worries. But just know, four years is a blink of an eye...you are just starting to learn what the Marine Corps is about.

I can't speak of the Crew Chief job...at one point when DEP, I wanted to do it. Not sure why I didn't.

Gunning on a rotor craft..someone said anyone can do it. In my limited experience this is true. My buddy was with an MWSS in '03 in Afghanistan as an engineer mechanic, got in good with some pilots, and they let him man the gat on their bird. The action he saw? Test fired on the side of a hill as they flew out of Salerno. Last time I was in country...two years ago...they put a stop to test firing all together b/c it upset the locals...get some!

Realize that any MOS you pick, there is a litany of things you could be doing (other than line co., but I suppose you could be an H&S biotch). You read the description of a Combat Engineer and you think your riding fire, storming beaches, and taking out bunkers with a SMAW. In reality you could be attached to Division, or you could swing with the wing and end up making work benches for mechanics, or exploding UXO. Its a crapshoot, all depends on Marine Corps needs at the time you leave. You really won't know until you graduate MOS school as to what your day to day life will be like.

usmc92
06-21-10, 02:54 AM
First, let me say I hope an extra year is not a deal breaker for you. If it is, rethink joining the Corps. If not, no worries. But just know, four years is a blink of an eye...you are just starting to learn what the Marine Corps is about.

I can't speak of the Crew Chief job...at one point when DEP, I wanted to do it. Not sure why I didn't.

Gunning on a rotor craft..someone said anyone can do it. In my limited experience this is true. My buddy was with an MWSS in '03 in Afghanistan as an engineer mechanic, got in good with some pilots, and they let him man the gat on their bird. The action he saw? Test fired on the side of a hill as they flew out of Salerno. Last time I was in country...two years ago...they put a stop to test firing all together b/c it upset the locals...get some!

Realize that any MOS you pick, there is a litany of things you could be doing (other than line co., but I suppose you could be an H&S biotch). You read the description of a Combat Engineer and you think your riding fire, storming beaches, and taking out bunkers with a SMAW. In reality you could be attached to Division, or you could swing with the wing and end up making work benches for mechanics, or exploding UXO. Its a crapshoot, all depends on Marine Corps needs at the time you leave. You really won't know until you graduate MOS school as to what your day to day life will be like.

Thanks for the answer Marine, and no the extra year dosent hesitant me from picking that MOS, im just trying to know what generally life is as a chief crewman. My Recruiter cant really help me because he was a grunt and the only thing he can do is read the description off a book like he already has...

I know the army can guarantee me what i want, it may sound foolish to some but even if im a chief crewman and it's nothing like i imagined, i wouldnt do it any other place then in the Marine Corps. This is the only branch that interests me and i just want to earn the title. When others ask why like my father ( who was in the army ) why im only look at one branch all i just say is " Im one of the few who heard the calling and someone truly knows deep down in their heart if the Marines are right for them")

Im still initially interested in infantry because i know even if im not guaranteed a certain weapon i want, im still holding a gun, protecting my buddies, and the life of a grunt is essentially the same as every other grunt, thats why its easy to get info on.

On Chief Crewman all i hear is every experience is different because its all the luck of the draw on what your doing. Thats what kind of makes me less interested, Infantry is a guaranteed thing, ground units patrolling etc..

But maybe ill have to take the chance and hopefully ill be put in a situation that i love. But hey as long as im a Marine im good with either a Cargo Helo or a c130.

SgtScales
06-21-10, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the answer Marine, and no the extra year dosent hesitant me from picking that MOS, im just trying to know what generally life is as a chief crewman. My Recruiter cant really help me because he was a grunt and the only thing he can do is read the description off a book like he already has...

I know the army can guarantee me what i want, it may sound foolish to some but even if im a chief crewman and it's nothing like i imagined, i wouldnt do it any other place then in the Marine Corps. This is the only branch that interests me and i just want to earn the title. When others ask why like my father ( who was in the army ) why im only look at one branch all i just say is " Im one of the few who heard the calling and someone truly knows deep down in their heart if the Marines are right for them")

Im still initially interested in infantry because i know even if im not guaranteed a certain weapon i want, im still holding a gun, protecting my buddies, and the life of a grunt is essentially the same as every other grunt, thats why its easy to get info on.

On Chief Crewman all i hear is every experience is different because its all the luck of the draw on what your doing. Thats what kind of makes me less interested, Infantry is a guaranteed thing, ground units patrolling etc..

But maybe ill have to take the chance and hopefully ill be put in a situation that i love. But hey as long as im a Marine im good with either a Cargo Helo or a c130.

You need to eliminate the word "guarantee" from your vocabulary before you continue on this journey of Marine Corps enlistment.

Explore all options. Do something you are interested in, but don't expect to be going Modern Warfare on anyone anytime soon.

hussaf
06-21-10, 10:31 AM

Or this?
http://www.atarimania.com/2600/boxes/hi_res/chopper_command_cart_4.jpg

hussaf
06-21-10, 10:52 AM
usmc92,
Thanks for the honest response. It speaks well of your maturity. You don't have your IST posted...I don't care what it is, but please understand good PFT score is reflective of your character as well....no matter what your MOS ends up being, you will be judged as a Marine first and your job second. I'm an infantry support guy (50% of the time anyway), so I've only done work-up and deployment with them...but what little I do know is that sometimes their lifestyle/job can vary. Nothing is wrong with 0311, its the backbone of the Marine Corps, but if you want an MOS with a little more stimuli going on around you (ie more crap to do and get better at) consider going to some kind of mounted infantry. I know some people with LAR; basically its the same as a leg unit (F-off, PT, MCMAP, get off work early on non-FX days...then go to the field for a few days at a time, work long-azz days, etc...this may be a subjective statement from an outsider, but it seems like it almost balances out). Anyway, in a job like that, you will do some of your own weapons/vehicle maintenance, fire from the turret (Bushmasters?), eventually sit in the VC or NAV seat, drive, even be a DM, or just another guy. Not saying there's anything wrong with Rifleman, just there are other options out there in combat arms where you are actually doing something concrete and real for the war effort in addition to 0311.

usmc92
06-21-10, 01:14 PM
usmc92,
Thanks for the honest response. It speaks well of your maturity. You don't have your IST posted...I don't care what it is, but please understand good PFT score is reflective of your character as well....no matter what your MOS ends up being, you will be judged as a Marine first and your job second. I'm an infantry support guy (50% of the time anyway), so I've only done work-up and deployment with them...but what little I do know is that sometimes their lifestyle/job can vary. Nothing is wrong with 0311, its the backbone of the Marine Corps, but if you want an MOS with a little more stimuli going on around you (ie more crap to do and get better at) consider going to some kind of mounted infantry. I know some people with LAR; basically its the same as a leg unit (F-off, PT, MCMAP, get off work early on non-FX days...then go to the field for a few days at a time, work long-azz days, etc...this may be a subjective statement from an outsider, but it seems like it almost balances out). Anyway, in a job like that, you will do some of your own weapons/vehicle maintenance, fire from the turret (Bushmasters?), eventually sit in the VC or NAV seat, drive, even be a DM, or just another guy. Not saying there's anything wrong with Rifleman, just there are other options out there in combat arms where you are actually doing something concrete and real for the war effort in addition to 0311.

Thanks for the advice, ill definitely bring these MOS's up the next time i see my recruiter. As for my IST i just graduated High School and i am now just starting to PT at house with this P90x program. Im about 6'3 170 pounds..I can currently do 5 pullups, about 90 situps in 2 minutes, can run 1.5 miles in 12:00min ( Not really big on the cardio right now) but by the end of the summer i think ill be more in shape then most of the guys going to MCRD PI. Also with these MOS's you mentioned... do you know what their under, like for example 06XX or 02XX? Sounds like a good gig.

Im just going to look at all MOS's the Marine Corps are offering and look at all my options and see whats best for me before i make the commitment.

usmc92
06-21-10, 01:20 PM

Ahaha, Yea i know my little cousin plays that game on his Xbox system alot, i would be lying if i said i didnt enjoy playing a little shooter action once in a blue moon :beer:

Aircrewmarine
07-25-10, 09:24 AM
U have to pick an AG contract to get "garunteed" a spot as a crewchief, but as always Needs of the corps is the deciding factor. It's just a general contract and you can end up on any helo. If your...

LoveOfCountry
07-25-10, 11:59 PM
If you join the Marine Corps based a small aspect of what you do in your MOS, then you will hate life. You have to have a good attitude whether you're gunning, turning a wrench on the wing, or loading munitions. If you're doing it because you just want to shoot, then you'll be disappointed.

Whatever MOS you choose, go in with an open mind, willing to learn and give 100% regardless of the responsibilities.

I would argue that I have the best MOS... for me. Everyone is different.