PDA

View Full Version : What are good workouts to prevent injury in recruit training?

anthonyf
06-17-10, 04:09 PM
Good day Marines, my name is Anthony and im here to ask all of you physical fitness experts what are some ways to prevent injury in bootcamp? I currently just signed my contract for Marines Reserve to become a 0311 and my ship date is sometime next summer i think 20110607 or something like that.

I'm currently about 6'2 165 pounds, a lanky guy who is try to build some muscle so i can can make Marine Recruit Traning less strenuous then it already will be. i currently can do about 3 Pullups, run a 7:50 mile, and can do about 95 situps in 2 minutes. The things that worries me though is that i hear all the time about people get the boot for stress fractures etc.. i get shin splints/stress fractures when i run really easily and i get sore for 3-5 days after doing a 1 hour workout on the core muscle groups and i know you PT everyday so i do not want to work through the pain and risk injury or show the Drill Instructors that i'm weak hearted and stop. I guess my legs arent that strong right now considering my calf muscles/quadriceps are very skinny.

Ive been running for about a month now and had to stop recently for 2 weeks after i got shin splints for running 3 miles. Im not that educated on fitness/diet so if anyone has some tips that can help me in my goal of getting in shape/prevent injuries that hinder my development it would be much appreciated.

WXSgt
06-17-10, 04:16 PM
stress fractures and such are from usually bigger guys that their bones are having a hard time dealing with the punishment. im not saying that small ones such as yourself cant get them though. for shin splints and such alot of times it is because of improper footwear or your shoes being simply worn out. from what you said your fast and can do the crunches id worry about building upper body and maintaining the rest. on machines do row lat pull downs and anything else that works arms. free weights curls military presses and such. nothing push ups and pullups with assistance(someone helping push you up)

But for your legs you could try starting with buddy squats(have someone on your shoulders about your weight and squat) or any squats in general.

ohh parting shot; Injuries happen in boot camp all the time. I was a Parris Island Marine and 1st Bn's PT field had holes in it, so when you did a formation run from place to place or individual through the grass which we NEVER did ppl would role their ankles all the time. you deal with it and strive through the pain. most did not go to medical not saying you cant but we shared the same mentality that we didnt want to show the weakness

Lisa 23
06-17-10, 04:21 PM
Stress fractures, dieting and exercise tips has been covered many times here on Leatherneck. Just use the search bar.

Capital M
06-18-10, 12:11 AM
If you get injured in boot camp, no biggie. You recuperate and pick up with the next available country.. You'll probably hear this a many times "You have free medical. There is no reason you shouldn't put out 110% physically. If you get hurt, suck it up, drop back to MRP, and pick up when you're healed. Atleast you know you weren't cheese-dickin it." Or something of that nature, probably more profane. But its true.

Unless you are constantly on your feet 16 hours a day, running around in boots, getting IT'd, etc. There is no real way you can prepare your body for the level of physical stress you're about to undertake.

Most injuries at boot camp are either actual visible injuries like broken limbs etc or they are pussy-foot injuries like 'my feet hurt' Unless its an acute severe injury, you can make it through recruit training. I, along with a buddy of mine, made it through boot camp with an injury called Iliotibial band syndrome in my left knee. **** hurts a lot at times, but it wasnt going to stop me from graduating. I also made it through the crucible with a pulled calf that was twice the size the other leg. There was a kid in my company who broke his ankle on the crucible.. he made it through the hike back.

My point is, if you get injured you get injured. Stop worrying about it. Try your hardest and if your body hurts, suck it the **** up.